a semantic taxonomy of epistemology

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

a semantic taxonomy of epistemology

Post by Advocate »

data = raw measurement
information = data + perspective context (how it was collected, epistemic)
knowledge = information + intent context (sufficiency, from what intent, for what purpose)
understanding = knowledge + practical context (pragmatism, necessity, restraints)
wisdom = understanding + accurate prediction
FlashDangerpants

Re: a semantic taxonomy of epistemology

Post by FlashDangerpants »

So that's what a sematic taxonomy looks like, huh?
The grandiose title suggests something a bit less shit :(
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

I stand with Derrida in that any text is not a discrete whole but contains several irreconcilable and contradictory meanings; that any text therefore has more than one interpretation; that the text itself links these interpretations inextricably; that the incompatibility of these interpretations is irreducible; and thus that an interpretative reading cannot go beyond a certain point.

Thus F.D. Pants aporetic critique is invalid in light of our FSK.
alan1000

Post by alan1000 »

I'm automatically suspicious of any French philosophical text, given the intellectual dishonesty of Descartes, and the smug intellectual elitism of Sartre and de Beauvoir; but there is a point here. Is a scientific or philosophical hypothesis valuable chiefly to the extent that it FAILS to explain all of the data? Creationism and "intelligent design theory" claim to explain everything by saying "that is how it was designed", by God, or the ID. Which, of course, explains nothing...
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

promethean75 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:26 pm I stand with Derrida in that any text is not a discrete whole but contains several irreconcilable and contradictory meanings; that any text therefore has more than one interpretation; that the text itself links these interpretations inextricably; that the incompatibility of these interpretations is irreducible; and thus that an interpretative reading cannot go beyond a certain point.

Thus F.D. Pants aporetic critique is invalid in light of our FSK.
are you certain you understood Jacques' text?

-Imp
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

I'm afraid my interpretative reading of your post cannot go beyond a certain point, Imp. I can discern that u are aksing me a question, yes, but the text as a discreet whole is inextricably bound to a reductive irreconcilability of conflicting meanings.

What does he mean by 'understand', and who or what is a 'Jacques'? What is he aksing of me when he akses if I'm 'certain'?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

the best inextricably bound holes are in donuts, with or without sprinkles- stand if you like, or sit and be comfortable- Derrida is entombed in Paris

-Imp