PH, Is Your Philosophy-of Mind-Independence, Mind-Independent?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Iwannaplato

Re: PH, Is Your Philosophy-of Mind-Independence, Mind-Independent?

Post by Iwannaplato »

Atla wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:30 pm I think those electrical signals would be presented to the brain after some machine processed some imagery in some way and then transformed that into those electrical signals. Overall still not direct perception.
I'd like to add that often we think of vision as this passive sense. The open eyes, take in images of the world. But that's not what's happening. We are constantly moving our eyes intentionally (if unconsciously also) getting lots of 'takes' on 'things' from slightly different angles with slightly different foci. It's very active. Even when looking at one 'thing'. And then the mind or brain is filling in lots of guesses creating this unstable set of actual 'exposures' while the mind makes a film/interpretation/set of prints.

It's more like echolocation that we often think of it.
Atla

Re: PH, Is Your Philosophy-of Mind-Independence, Mind-Independent?

Post by Atla »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:42 pm
Atla wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:30 pm I think those electrical signals would be presented to the brain after some machine processed some imagery in some way and then transformed that into those electrical signals. Overall still not direct perception.
I'd like to add that often we think of vision as this passive sense. The open eyes, take in images of the world. But that's not what's happening. We are constantly moving our eyes intentionally (if unconsciously also) getting lots of 'takes' on 'things' from slightly different angles with slightly different foci. It's very active. Even when looking at one 'thing'. And then the mind or brain is filling in lots of guesses creating this unstable set of actual 'exposures' while the mind makes a film/interpretation/set of prints.

It's more like echolocation that we often think of it.
Indeed