Distributing Hate

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Wizard22

Re: Distributing Hate

Post by Wizard22 »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:12 pm Hate.jpg
A picture is worth a thousand words, good one IC. :lol:
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Harbal wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:33 pmAnd why do you think most of us dismiss most of your messages? I don't think your judgement is held in very high esteem in these parts.
Can you list out the usernames of this "Us" you appeal to? Thanks in advance.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:09 am
Harbal wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:33 pmAnd why do you think most of us dismiss most of your messages? I don't think your judgement is held in very high esteem in these parts.
Can you list out the usernames of this "Us" you appeal to? Thanks in advance.
Yes, but I would be reluctant to do it without their permission.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

commonsense wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:06 pmIf this thread is still about hate and blame, let me post the following:

Hate seems to me to be an emotion that originates in the lizard brain. While higher cognitive functions may ameliorate this emotion, or at least restrain its expression, I don’t think it can be reprogrammed short of shock therapy.

I think blame is associated with the need to avoid embarrassment. Blame is likely amenable to some sort of attitude adjustment.
It is, and thank you for reminding me and the others. Despite Hairball's valiant effort to derail from the start...

I don't know if hate and blame can be "reprogrammed" either. But it can be programmed, through propaganda, when children are young.

Hence we have the political manifestations of Western populations today. A better question: How much can they be programmed otherwise??
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Harbal wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:12 amYes, but I would be reluctant to do it without their permission.
So it's a mystical, cryptic, hidden, invisible "Us", got it...

How many "Us" is there, can you at least give me a number... 5, 10, 50, 100?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:29 pmSlaves, victims of ongoing human rights violations, children with abusive parents, victims of ongoing bullying, people regularly treated with disrespect in certain types of employment situations may feel regular hatred for their abusers and this isn't pathological. It is natural to hate that which hates you. It imight even be healthy if you have not good way to create distance from the abusive person(s).
A strong current in Christianity is the theme to "love your enemies". What does that mean, when your natural tendency is to hate those that hate you?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:08 amI don't rule that out, but I don't try to overpower my reactions. Sometimes I can feel both hatred and empathy for the same person. Sometimes empathy comes later. If it is so clear the person hating me is damaged, I may not feel hatred. That I feel direct empathy while they are, for example, hurling rage at me, well, not so likely. But when I'm back home perhaps. Love is not really on the table, unless love is already part of the relationship. But I don't have the Christian goal of loving that which is hating me. I suppose on a literal battlefield I might even weep after killing someone. But as long as someone is hating me and they seem to have their wits about them - they are not developmentally cognitively disabled or psychotic - then empathy will likely not be there most of the time. Should they stop hating me or actively trying to damage me, then the empathy can come. But I don't try to override my not so Christian reactions, no.

I will try to organize my life so that I don't have contact with them. I am not attached to hating and prefer not to. I had a narcissist as a boss and I hated this person fairly often while I worked there. When I could leave, I did, and very much so I no longer needed to experience hate coming at me or my own hate.
My interpretation of 'Love thy enemy' is the presumption that you should act as-if you were their Father, meaning you are obligated to understand the source of any person's wrath and ire, and address that. If it's justified, then mercy and forgiveness are possible. If it's unjustified, then hate stems from ignorance.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:25 pmAre there any things you think it's legitimate to hate?
Injustice.

Sacrificing the innocent to demonstrate others your own extravagance and vanity.

Child-sacrifice. Genital Mutilation. Murder. Abortion. All of these symbolize how evil targets the newlyborn and unborn alike.

If Human Morality cannot protect children, then what good is it at all? How could it be considered moral?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:13 am
Harbal wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:12 amYes, but I would be reluctant to do it without their permission.
So it's a mystical, cryptic, hidden, invisible "Us", got it...

How many "Us" is there, can you at least give me a number... 5, 10, 50, 100?
Therer were six of us on on a recent thread where I was keeping count. If I could be bothered, I'm sure I could find considerably more who totally reject IC's "message", and, indeed, also most of the crap you come out with.

Post by Age »

commonsense wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:06 pm If this thread is still about hate and blame, let me post the following:

Hate seems to me to be an emotion that originates in the lizard brain. While higher cognitive functions may ameliorate this emotion, or at least restrain its expression, I don’t think it can be reprogrammed short of shock therapy.

I think blame is associated with the need to avoid embarrassment.
The so-called 'need' to avoid embarrassment is a major part of the reason WHY 'you', adult human beings, KEEP BLAMING OTHER 'things' for what 'you' have CAUSED and CREATED here.
commonsense wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:06 pm Blame is likely amenable to some sort of attitude adjustment.

Post by Age »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:25 pm
commonsense wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:06 pm If this thread is still about hate and blame, let me post the following:

I think blame is associated with the need to avoid embarrassment. Blame is likely amenable to some sort of attitude adjustment.
Would you make a distinction between unwarranted and warranted blame?

Are there any things you think it's legitimate to hate?
ALL of those 'things' that NO one WANTS, and thus NEEDS CHANGING, can be legitimately HATED. That is; ALL of those misbehaviors that 'you', adult human beings, DO can be legitimately HATED. WHY else would ANY one of 'you' CHANGE 'them' if 'they' were NOT HATED?

Post by Age »

commonsense wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:30 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:25 pm

Would you make a distinction between unwarranted and warranted blame?

Are there any things you think it's legitimate to hate?
I think warranted and unwarranted blame are different and are very much like the difference between a guilty verdict and a not-guilty one. A judgment takes place, by someone, by which the appropriateness of the blame is determined.

In either case, I would now say that blame emerges from avoidance of embarrassment, or from a sense of righteous indignation, or from hatred itself. And I no longer think that the act of placing blame is amenable to mere attitude adjustment.

I think it is legitimate to hate pain as well as things that cause pain. Beyond that, I don’t think I would add anything to the list.
Although there may well be A REASON to so-call 'hate' pain, if pain did NOT exist, then 'you', human beings, would have been EXTINCT a LONG TIME AGO. Also, it would be STUPID and ABSURD to hate some 'things', which cause pain.

Furthermore, there ARE OTHER 'things' that can be legitimately HATED here.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Harbal wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:42 amTherer were six of us on on a recent thread where I was keeping count. If I could be bothered, I'm sure I could find considerably more who totally reject IC's "message", and, indeed, also most of the crap you come out with.
Your drunk pub mates don't count.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Age wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:29 amThe so-called 'need' to avoid embarrassment is a major part of the reason WHY 'you', adult human beings, KEEP BLAMING OTHER 'things' for what 'you' have CAUSED and CREATED here.
Hey Age, why don't you quit blaming "ADULTS", and start blaming yourself?

Post by Age »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:29 pm
commonsense wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:06 pm Hate seems to me to be an emotion that originates in the lizard brain.
The triune brain model is not accepted by the majority of neuroscientists anymore. The parts of the brain associated with hate are the insular cortex, putamen, and left superior frontal gyrus
And they are in different parts of the brain.
While higher cognitive functions may ameliorate this emotion, or at least restrain its expression, I don’t think it can be reprogrammed short of shock therapy.
I don't think hate is pathological unless it is, pathological. I know kind of tautological, But I mean by this that occasionally feeling hatred is not necessarily a problem and even would be natural in certain situations if it was felt more that occasionally. Slaves, victims of ongoing human rights violations, children with abusive parents, victims of ongoing bullying, people regularly treated with disrespect in certain types of employment situations may feel regular hatred for their abusers and this isn't pathological. It is natural to hate that which hates you. It imight even be healthy if you have not good way to create distance from the abusive person(s).
[/quote]

Although it is PERFECTLY REASONABLE to HATE ALL 'abusive behavior', it can be sometimes completely IMPOSSIBLE, so NOT natural, to SEE the ones that ARE ABUSING 'you', 'hate you', as you SAID 'it'.