Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Christianity

Post by attofishpi »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:12 pm Write out your own essay which contains whatever rebuttal you may have. The questions you are asking hold no interest at all.
Clearly they do to me chum.

Jacobi:- "Attofishpi a man entirely wrapped up in subjectivity taken to such a degree that the *mirror* is taken as an actual representation of reality.

..explain:

1. What part of a mirror is NOT representing REALITY Jacobi?

2. Is it that U R confused by the X coordinate being reversed, within the reflection of a mirror?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:05 pm Dubious wrote: ↑Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:02 am
I don't have an 'orientation' as you clearly have. At least not the kind impervious to change. It remains fluidic because in this world there is very little one can denote or establish as an essential truth.

You are making comparative statements:

AJ paraphrases Dubious: You have a position with orientation but if I have one it is different and changeable, fluidic. The reason is because the world changes, is constantly mutating and is mutable (non solid) and as I say: Everything metaphysical proceeds from the surfaces of the non-metaphysical.

...because in this world there is very little one can denote or establish as an essential truth.

Here, your core idea places you squarely in (for one example) Iambiguous’s camp. I am merely noting the similarity, not blaming you for it. In my view, Iambiguous is stuck in his mentally determined position.
The only thing I can say is, I mean it exactly the way I wrote it, word for word. My orientation is simply to avoid any kind of perspective which consistently yields the same horizon or fixates a truth in its own private mental chapel. It's really that simple! Probabilities keep re-classifying themselves.

I don't know the purpose or what implication you're striving for in your paraphrase.

As for Iambiguous, except for a few sentences, I have read nothing of his and thus have no idea what his position is or whether he's mentally stuck in it.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:27 pm I await instruction from my various teachers.
Teachers? I hope you're not referring to us, AJ. You're the one charging $999 to lecture "morons". I would hope you're not now asking to be lectured by us "morons". I'd really hate to misinform you or something. :|
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

becuz mate your position has its basis in revelatory claims of knowledge, not rational. when your 'proof' that god exists consists of an explanation/description of a personal subjective experience of god (or the sage as u called it) and everything that entailed, u can't expect anyone to consider that a proof for two reasons: such an experience might have been of something other than god, and very many incredulous people have claimed to have revelatory knowledge of god throughout history.

if a god does exist, knowledge of this god would have to be adduced from deductive axioms and proofs alone. no inductive experience/knowledge could do it. your homeboys Descartes, Leibniz and Spinz knew this. but attofishpi does not apparently.

On behalf of our contemporaries here at PN I therefore say that we cannot accept your thesis and commit it then to the flames (I got that last part from Hume).
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"I hope you're not referring to us, AJ. You're the one charging $999 to lecture "morons"

I've known only three folks (four if Biggs had a larger curriculum) that have produced material coherent, consistent and extensive enough to be considered course material in their respective subjects if one were so inclined to. that would be your homegirl Rosa Lichtenstein, that Self Lightening dude over in the politics thread and a crazy polymathic good will hunting type mad-pianist with ten pack abs and a fancy for opium over at ILP.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

I think I could do it man but I just can't be bothered. I'd brush up on my pre-socratics and then wing it from there. Writing just takes too long tho. Like if a dude wanted to go all the way he'd have to match Plato, Aristotle or Kant in breadth and calibre cuz anything less is just meh, seen it.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

promethean75 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:18 pm I think I could do it man but I just can't be bothered. I'd brush up on my pre-socratics and then wing it from there. Writing just takes too long tho. Like if a dude wanted to go all the way he'd have to match Plato, Aristotle or Kant in breadth and calibre cuz anything less is just meh, seen it.
Maybe don't try to bite off more than you can chew. Plato and Aristotle are difficult to match in "productivity", however, many are able to see that they still didn't get too much further than many others in the grand scheme of things. There were probably carpenters (just one example of possibly many) in Athens, Germany (or wherever) at the time who had just as dynamic a grasp of life. They just didn't write hardly anything because maybe they figured why bother telling people stuff they already know or will otherwise only learn by experience. No one truly learns outside of experience. In the end, we're all human beings and what is written and what is not, is simply the 'tip of the iceberg' in a sense. Book learning alone (without any intimate experience of what one is studying) is almost as worthless as being illiterate. Though it does help to learn a lot when we're young and our minds are like sponges so that we can later have a better catalog to recall when we experience things. But in the long run, knowledge is much more than just a tool to gain advantage over others. After a while, we start to wonder exactly why we're trying to gain an advantage over someone who might be better as a friend who would lend a friendly hand when we need one.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:47 pm
promethean75 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:18 pm I think I could do it man but I just can't be bothered. I'd brush up on my pre-socratics and then wing it from there. Writing just takes too long tho. Like if a dude wanted to go all the way he'd have to match Plato, Aristotle or Kant in breadth and calibre cuz anything less is just meh, seen it.
Maybe don't try to bite off more than you can chew. Plato and Aristotle are difficult to match in "productivity", however, many are able to see that they still didn't get too much further than many others in the grand scheme of things. There were probably carpenters (just one example of possibly many) in Athens, Germany (or wherever) at the time who had just as dynamic a grasp of life. They just didn't write hardly anything because maybe they figured why bother telling people stuff they already know or will otherwise only learn by experience. No one truly learns outside of experience. In the end, we're all human beings and what is written and what is not, is simply the 'tip of the iceberg' in a sense. Book learning alone (without any intimate experience of what one is studying) is almost as worthless as being illiterate. Though it does help to learn a lot when we're young and our minds are like sponges so that we can later have a better catalog to recall when we experience things. But in the long run, knowledge is much more than just a tool to gain advantage over others. After a while, we start to wonder exactly why we're trying to gain an advantage over someone who might be better as a friend who would lend a friendly hand when we need one.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Good post Gary; eminently logical!
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dubious wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:45 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:47 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Good post Gary; eminently logical!
Thank you, Dubious! :D
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:57 pm I'm sometimes inclined to think maybe he is indeed telling the truth here.
Gary has got some well-deserved praise of late. His last post (on the possible futility of knowledge) hit me like a freight train.

Powerful stuff!

(I took two aspirin and now sip some Argentine white wine).

Still, the post I quote here seems to me one of the best I’ve seen in a coon’s age. No beating around the bush. The tomahawk strikes like a bolt of lightening.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: My purpose is to clarify my own thinking, therefore what it does or doesn’t do for others is irrelevant to me.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:03 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:57 pm I'm sometimes inclined to think maybe he is indeed telling the truth here.
Gary has got some well-deserved praise of late. His last post (on the possible futility of knowledge) hit me like a freight train.

Powerful stuff!

(I took two aspirin and now sip some Argentine white wine).

Still, the post I quote here seems to me one of the best I’ve seen in a coon’s age. No beating around the bush. The tomahawk strikes like a bolt of lightening.
Just a bruise. Shouldn't take long to get over it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdvB9Yf1LIU

:D
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

That wuz horrible Gary. The only time ten or more guitarists sound any good together is when they're from The League Of Crafty Guitarists, a secret society of pedophile guitarists, founded by Robert Fripp (uncle Bobby).

Go to 8:39 https://youtu.be/m3dicKNdKa8
Last edited by promethean75 on Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

promethean75 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:55 am That wuz horrible Gary. The only time ten or more guitarists sound any good together is when they're from The Crafty League Of Guitarists, a secret society of what looks to be pedophile guitarists, founded by Robert Fripp (uncle Bobby).

Go to 8:39 https://youtu.be/m3dicKNdKa8
Hey, it can't be that easy for what (fifty?) ukeleles to strum in almost unison. It's a symphony orchestra!
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

promethean75 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:55 am Go to 8:39 https://youtu.be/m3dicKNdKa8
Looks kind of like a gaggle of Dieter clones from Saturday Night Live's "Sprockets" skit. Not that Dieters are bad, of course. :oops:
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

promethean75 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:58 pm becuz mate your position has its basis in revelatory claims of knowledge, not rational.
What's not rational about what I claim?

..allow me to point out that the likes of Alexis Jacobi that consider themselves intellectual will read from books containing these "revelatory claims of knowledge"..and yet will dismiss my account. (u included)

What is rational about that?