Expressing Emotions

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

popeye1945

Re: Expressing Emotions

Post by popeye1945 »

I Like Sushi wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:57 am What comes more natural to the human heart, the desire to express “positive” thoughts of joy, hope optimism and love, or the desire to express “negative” thoughts of pain, suffering, hate, rage and pessimism?

My view is that people generally have a natural disposition to express more “negative” thoughts and feelings than they do more “positive” thoughts and feelings.

Also, what are your thoughts about “Catharsis” in respect to Aristotle and the various interpretations of this term (not particularly interested in dictionary definitions as this has remained a contentious issue among scholars for quite some time!)
There is I believe a three-fold base for the emotions, pain, pleasure and desire, the number and variety of emotions which admix these three basic emotions are many. Catharsis is essential to one's health I believe, for when passions are blocked off, meaning not being able to express them, they will surface in more inappropriate ways and/or circumstances. Sad songs give me pleasure in this way, they let me know the human condition such as it is, must not be experienced alone. "A tear drop on a rose." bittersweet pain, pleasure and desire. One of the many functions of storytelling. drama theater, song and even dance, cold showers and exercise.
philosophydelightful

Post by philosophydelightful »

I Like Sushu wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:57 am What comes more natural to the human heart the desire to express “positive” thoughts of joy, hope optimism and love, or the desire to express “negative” thoughts of pain, suffering, hate, rage and pessimism?

My view is that people generally have a natural disposition to express more “negative” thoughts and feelings than they do more “positive” thoughts and feelings.

Also, what are your thoughts about “Cartharsis” in respect to Aristotle and the various interpretations of this term (not particularly interested in dictionary definitions as this has remained a contentious issue among scholars for quite some time!)

I believe that a catharsis is a powerful release of emotions to ultimately help with feeling better. Aristotle’s idea of a catharsis when it comes theatre is to be able to evoke emotions in the audience in order for them to gain a greater understanding of both concepts and themselves. Different interpretations of what constitutes a “catharsis” may lead to different forms of expression such as theatre, literature, art, etc. However, at its core, it is still the same idea of a purging and transformative emotional experience.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:47 am
I Like Sushi wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:57 am What comes more natural to the human heart, the desire to express “positive” thoughts of joy, hope optimism and love, or the desire to express “negative” thoughts of pain, suffering, hate, rage and pessimism?

Also, what are your thoughts about “Catharsis” in respect to Aristotle and the various interpretations of this term (not particularly interested in dictionary definitions as this has remained a contentious issue among scholars for quite some time!)
There is I believe a three-fold base for the emotions, pain, pleasure and desire, the number and variety of emotions which admix these three basic emotions are many. Catharsis is essential to one's health I believe, for when passions are blocked off, meaning not being able to express them, they will surface in more inappropriate ways and/or circumstances. Sad songs give me pleasure in this way, they let me know the human condition such as it is, must not be experienced alone. "A tear drop on a rose." bittersweet pain, pleasure and desire. One of the many functions of storytelling. drama theater, song and even dance, cold showers and exercise. Alexander Pope: "The passions are the elements of life."