The Phenomenology of Time in Memento

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

iambiguous

Re: The Phenomenology of Time in Memento

Post by iambiguous »

"The story follows Leonard Shelby, who has short-term memory loss following a break-in at his house in which his wife was raped and murdered and a blow to the head that gave Shelby his 'condition.'"

A blow to the head. So, his new experience with time revolves around a physical condition brought about by a set of circumstances largely beyond his control. His "I" here is now at the mercy of biological imperatives. All he can do is to improvise. But the end of the film shows how far this takes him. You could ask Teddy if he was still around.

Then the truly convoluted story of Sammy Jankis, "another anterograde amnesiac" Leonard recalls, "from his insurance industry days. After tests confirmed Sammy's inability to learn tasks through repetition, Leonard believed that his condition was at best psychological (and perhaps faked) and turned down his insurance claim. Sammy's distraught wife repeatedly asked Sammy to administer her insulin shots for her diabetes, hoping he would remember having recently given her a shot and avoid giving her a fatal overdose. However, Sammy administered each injection, and his wife died." wiki

It always comes down existentially to the particular constellation of components in your own life. And, finally, to the profound mystery of time itself...going all the way back to the even more profound mystery of existence itself.

Post by Age »

iambiguous wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:18 pm "The story follows Leonard Shelby, who has short-term memory loss following a break-in at his house in which his wife was raped and murdered and a blow to the head that gave Shelby his 'condition.'"

A blow to the head. So, his new experience with time revolves around a physical condition brought about by a set of circumstances largely beyond his control. His "I" here is now at the mercy of biological imperatives. All he can do is to improvise. But the end of the film shows how far this takes him. You could ask Teddy if he was still around.

Then the truly convoluted story of Sammy Jankis, "another anterograde amnesiac" Leonard recalls, "from his insurance industry days. After tests confirmed Sammy's inability to learn tasks through repetition, Leonard believed that his condition was at best psychological (and perhaps faked) and turned down his insurance claim. Sammy's distraught wife repeatedly asked Sammy to administer her insulin shots for her diabetes, hoping he would remember having recently given her a shot and avoid giving her a fatal overdose. However, Sammy administered each injection, and his wife died." wiki

It always comes down existentially to the particular constellation of components in your own life. And, finally, to the profound mystery of time itself...going all the way back to the even more profound mystery of existence itself.
BUT, there is NO 'mystery' left to 'time' NOR to 'existence', as to what 'they' ACTUALLY ARE IS ALREADY KNOWN, and IRREFUTABLY, I will add.

That 'those things', though, were STILL a 'mystery' to most of you back in the days when this was being written IS TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE as well as ALSO being FULLY UNDERSTOOD WHY
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:46 pm
Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:05 pm
Harbal wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:05 pm

Mmm, just as I suspected.
Wow. This is like Guy Pearce putting information in his skin!!!!
:)

I knew it! I should've read more books, watched more TV, made more friends, instead of doing absolutely nuh-thing my whole life!
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Age wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:59 am
iambiguous wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:18 pm "The story follows Leonard Shelby, who has short-term memory loss following a break-in at his house in which his wife was raped and murdered and a blow to the head that gave Shelby his 'condition.'"

BUT, there is NO 'mystery' left to 'time' NOR to 'existence', as to what 'they' ACTUALLY ARE IS ALREADY KNOWN, and IRREFUTABLY, I will add.

That 'those things', though, were STILL a 'mystery' to most of you back in the days when this was being written IS TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE as well as ALSO being FULLY UNDERSTOOD WHY
:lol:

No SERIOUSLY.

Post by Age »

iambiguous wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:52 am

No SERIOUSLY.
YES, SERIOUSLY, human beings, once upon a time, or more accurately, especially BACK in the days when this WAS being written, really did BELIEVE that what they 'currently' and thus ALREADY BELIEVED was true STOOD TRUE, WITHOUT QUESTIONING.

As this one here is SHINING A PRIME EXAMPLE OF.

This one, LAUGHINGLY, ACTUALLY BELIEVED that those little 'things' of 'time' and 'existence' will remain a 'mystery' FOREVER MORE.

'those ones' like 'this one' here REALLY did only LOOK and SEE 'things' from the TINIEST and NARROWED of perspectives, and to PROVE just how SHALLOW or CLOSED 'this one' REALLY IS in SEEING and UNDERSTANDING 'it' WILL ONLY say or write some 'thing' as STUPID and UNENLIGHTENED as 'No SERIOUSLY'.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Age wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:53 am

No SERIOUSLY.
YES, SERIOUSLY, human beings, once upon a time, or more accurately, especially BACK in the days when this WAS being written, really did BELIEVE that what they 'currently' and thus ALREADY BELIEVED was true STOOD TRUE, WITHOUT QUESTIONING.

This one, LAUGHINGLY, ACTUALLY BELIEVED that those little 'things' of 'time' and 'existence' will remain a 'mystery' FOREVER MORE.

'those ones' like 'this one' here REALLY did only LOOK and SEE 'things' from the TINIEST and NARROWED of perspectives, and to PROVE just how SHALLOW or CLOSED 'this one' REALLY IS in SEEING and UNDERSTANDING 'it' WILL ONLY say or write some 'thing' as STUPID and UNENLIGHTENED as 'No SERIOUSLY'.

Move along, move along. Nothing to read here... 8)

Post by Age »

iambiguous wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:07 pm
Age wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:53 am

No SERIOUSLY.

Move along, move along. Nothing to read here... 8)
EXACTLY AS I KNEW WOULD HAPPEN.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

I forgot ta read the whole sentence. This article looks juicy and I'm sure the queue is a mile long. What did they say of Newton? Not the same thing they said about Einstein I bet. I sift through my nonexistent notes, I find a page marked 248i, I ... try ta read ... the text's been ... you know ... tampered with but ... in a Norma Jean kinda way. I don't understand ... but I do love ... I think!