Where is the philosophy???

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Where is the philosophy???

Post by Age »

puto wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:19 am Philosophy Now is a good source of research. I came in here to thank the magazine for their articles and, also, the free ones. The forum is for writing your ideas on a claim. Knowing, how to write; proves your thesis.
Is this 'sarcasm'?

If no, then what is this last sentence referring to, EXACTLY? It is CERTAINLY NOT true, AT ALL.

Also, could this forum be for ANY other 'thing'?
puto wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:19 am This is a forum. Most of the arguing turns into ad hominem because people only see their point of view.
What do you mean by 'ad hominem' here?

To me, people can turn to 'ad hominem' for OTHER reasons than just because they only see their point of view.
puto wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:19 am With evidence, you can prove anything.
Is this here some sort of 'sarcasm'?

See, with 'evidence' you can NOT necessarily 'prove' ANY 'thing', AT ALL. However, with 'evidence' you THINK you can 'prove' 'YOUR thing'. For example, 'red shift' is so-called "evidence" for some people's BELIEF that the Universe began and/or is expanding, and for these VERY BLINDED human beings they BELIEVE that the 'evidence' 'proves' 'their ASSUMPTION or BELIEF' here.

'Evidence' FOR some 'thing', however, is NOT necessarily 'proof', AT ALL, and NEVER WILL BE.

'Proof' is VERY, VERY DIFFERENT FROM 'evidence'.

'Evidence' may be A SIGN that some 'thing' is true, right, or correct, but 'evidence' is CERTAINLY NOT 'proof' that some 'thing' is true, right, NOR correct, and 'with evidence', you WILL CERTAINLY NOT EVER necessarily 'prove' ANY 'thing'.
puto wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:19 am Just because you do not view, the persuasion in writing does not mean you are wrong.
What do you mean by, 'you do not view'? EVERY one 'views'.

The 'persuasion' 'in writing' does NOT mean that you are right, EITHER.
puto wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:19 am Most of this forum is an opinion, "I could be wrong."
Could this opinion of yours, be 'wrong' here?
puto wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:19 am Thank-you for the articles in the magazine and the free one, also. The forum makes you think differently and then research the thesis; and maybe change your mind. I do, also, turn off the arguments of attacking the person rather than the idea. Persuasion is as powerful way of evidence.
This sentence does NOT make sense to me. For example, through 'persuasion' people can be LED INTO BELIEVING 'things', which are NOT true AT ALL. As evidenced and PROVED True by quite a fair bit of what is written and said, in the days when this is being written.

Now, 'evidence' IS 'evidence', and, 'persuasion' IS 'persuasion', but NEVER is 'persuasion' NECESSARILY a 'powerful way of evidence', AT ALL.

Even if you had added the word 'presenting', in between the words 'of' and 'evidence', your sentence still does NOT make FULL sense, to me.

' Presenting 'evidence' in a particular way can be VERY 'persuading' ', makes much MORE sense, well to me anyway.
puto wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:19 am Most people here are like the Cynics and are, yes, strange in their wisdom.
Is the "english language" your 'first language'?

Now who and/or what are 'the Cynics'? Or, did you mean some 'thing' like, 'Most people here, in this forum, are 'cynical', and 'are strange in their wisdom', to you?

If yes, then WILL you PROVIDE some examples of WHERE you think or BELIEVE 'the wisdom' of most of the people here, in this forum, comes across as 'strange', to you?

If no, then WHY NOT?

Are you AWARE that the way you write is NOT 'persuading', AT ALL, to some of 'us' here, and that your so-called 'wisdom' appears to be somewhat MIXED UP, TWISTED, and/or DISTORTED?
puto wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:19 am But, they have a point of view and rant, away, and most of the time in makes me feel better because I have studied in and know the difference.
Thank-you .
OF COURSE 'they' HAVE A POINT OF VIEW. EVERY human being who writes in forums like this HAVE POINTS OF VIEWS.

Could what you have been SAYING and WRITING here be coming across as just 'ranting away' also, to "others"?

WHAT have you been, supposedly, studying in, which has, supposedly, led you to, supposedly, KNOWING 'the difference'? And, what are the words 'the difference' ACTUALLY IN RELATION TO, EXACTLY, anyway?

Post by Age »

puto wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:39 am Pyrrhonian Skepticism is a protest not of fact but of propositions. Beliefs are just that, and disbeliefs are not propositional attitudes. What is justified and what is not justified?
What is 'justified' is 'that', which IS 'JUST'. And,

What is 'NOT justified' is 'that', which IS 'NOT JUST'.

Have you studied enough to you KNOW 'the difference' here?
puto wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:39 am What is knowledge but a personal opinion.
Was this A QUESTION, A STATEMENT OF FACT, Or just YOUR OWN PERSONAL OPINION?
puto wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:39 am We do not want our proposition postponed for explanation.
WHO, supposedly, does NOT want 'this'? And, WHY do 'you', and/or 'they', NOT want to EXPLAIN 'your/their propositions', later on?
puto wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:39 am Fact is not information in the proposition p.
So, there is NO proposition EVER spoken or written that could contain information with A Fact within the proposition, right?
puto wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:39 am We negate epistemology but the subject is an attitude. p1 and p2 are hypotheses of a variable.
Is this meant to be an example of one being 'strange in their, so-called, wisdom'?
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

We must go the movies or just youtube to la la land! No, not Los Angeles, California ... la la land ... somewhere ( :mrgreen: ) in the mediterranean sea. Quick, hurry, before you know who redoes the bloody place!!

Tickity-tockity ... tickity-tockity ... rumble, rumble ...
Walker

Post by Walker »

The Philosopher:
- observes, or borrows an observation.
- asks a question about the observation.
- forms an hypothesis to answer the question.
- Tries to falsify (test) the hypothesis.

The Student:
- borrows an hypothesis to answer the question.
- Tries to falsify the borrowed hypothesis.

Original Posting (OP)
- On a philosophy forum where everyone is a philosopher, the OP presents an hypothesis for other philosophers, in the role of students, to borrow and test.

Conclusion:
- Philosophers think. Students borrow.
- Through observation and contemplation a philosopher forms an hypothesis.
- Other philosophers may have independently formed the same hypothesis.
- Students borrow a philosopher's formed hypothesis in order to try and falsify the borrowed hypothesis.

On a philosophy discussion forum:
- An appropriate original posting requires more than a question.
- An appropriate original posting requires an hypothesis.
friendofyours

Post by friendofyours »

BigMike wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:31 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:38 am
The term philosophy comes from two Greek words, philos, which means friend or lover, and sophia, which means wisdom. So philosophy is the love of wisdom and, more importantly, the philosopher is the friend or, better, lover of wisdom.
This was in the past. Progress has devolved philosophy into the love of argument. Who cares about wisdom or even knows what it is? The important thing is winning the argument to prove what in reality, you don't understand.
So true. So sad.
I agree. I was beginning to think I was the only one who felt like this.

I am quite new to philosophy; I actually 'found' it by mistake, and I remember thinking, "How on earth did I not know about this? I have been thinking like this all my life. Now I know what it is called." To me, anyone can be a philosopher. I cannot jump into everyone's head an know for sure, but I suspect we all are to some extent. I think it is a very human and natural thing.

I first found out about it because I went back to university to follow my love of creative writing. However, since I was an international student, they told me that for the first semester they would choose my courses for me. One of those courses was philosophy, and I loved it so much. I used to come out of each lecture or seminar almost skipping with energy and excitement lol But I honestly never remember any animosity in the seminars, no trying to win an argument or belittling others. We just talked about all the weird and wonderful ideas that came to us, we laughed a lot and we became friends.

I had to return to the UK early for family reasons, but I missed philosophy so much, so I naturally sought out a philosophy forum (not initially this one) But I was horrified. Some of the people were so rude and disrespectful and down right nasty. Why? I don't understand at all. What does anyone gain from that? Certainly not wisdom. And people telling others that they were talking absolute rubbish and that they were not philosophers. Who are they to stand in judgement over others? I mean, perhaps if they could demonstrate that they were the perfect philosopher (their words already indicated quite the opposite) then they may have some grounds to judge. I say 'may'. They showed total arrogance and disregard for other people's views and feelings, with no respect for fellow human beings. Sorry for venting, but it makes me so upset. And the worst thing was that I was waiting for someone to pull them up for their post. I mean, I thought, 'maybe there is something wrong with them. They might have issues, or be somehow vulnerable. Or maybe they are a troll." I just couldn't figure it out. Why was nobody saying something about it. Then someone else piped up and agreed with the person, and that was it. I feel kind of bad, as I do not like confrontations, but I felt that I had to say something. To me, it was just so wrong how they were treating people.

So anyway, this is a different forum, and I am hoping so much that people will be more respectful, kinder and open minded. Of course, we are not going to all agree on everything, but to me, part of philosophy is hearing others views and being able to look at things from all angles so as to work out what we believe and get as clear and honest picture of things as we can. We may not all agree, but everyone has a right to their opinions, and this should be mutually respected... in my view.
Walker

Post by Walker »

friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am...
:thumbsup:
Good posting.

- When considering the faults, consider the advantages.
- An open system (forum), as opposed to a closed system (university), is where the rubber (philosophy) meets the road (reality).
- An open system is like taking a philosophy for a spin before buying, where you can’t assume others will be following the rules of the road.

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:24 pm The Philosopher:
- forms an hypothesis to answer the question.
- Tries to falsify (test) the hypothesis.
And when that 'hypothesis' cannot be Falsified, then an actual irrefutable Truth has been found, uncovered, realized, and/or actuated.

Which, when just sharing and expressing, others may not agree with and accept. But this, of course, depends upon the pre-existing view, beliefs, and/or assumptions of the others.
Walker wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:24 pm The Student:
- borrows an hypothesis to answer the question.
- Tries to falsify the borrowed hypothesis.

Original Posting (OP)
- On a philosophy forum where everyone is a philosopher, the OP presents an hypothesis for other philosophers, in the role of students, to borrow and test.

Conclusion:
- Philosophers think. Students borrow.
- Through observation and contemplation a philosopher forms an hypothesis.
- Other philosophers may have independently formed the same hypothesis.
- Students borrow a philosopher's formed hypothesis in order to try and falsify the borrowed hypothesis.

On a philosophy discussion forum:
- An appropriate original posting requires more than a question.
- An appropriate original posting requires an hypothesis.
Here we can see another 'version' or view of 'a philosopher' and of 'philosophy', itself.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 amI had to return to the UK early for family reasons, but I missed philosophy so much, so I naturally sought out a philosophy forum (not initially this one) But I was horrified. Some of the people were so rude and disrespectful and down right nasty. Why? I don't understand at all. What does anyone gain from that? Certainly not wisdom. And people telling others that they were talking absolute rubbish and that they were not philosophers. Who are they to stand in judgement over others? I mean, perhaps if they could demonstrate that they were the perfect philosopher (their words already indicated quite the opposite) then they may have some grounds to judge. I say 'may'. They showed total arrogance and disregard for other people's views and feelings, with no respect for fellow human beings. Sorry for venting, but it makes me so upset. And the worst thing was that I was waiting for someone to pull them up for their post. I mean, I thought, 'maybe there is something wrong with them. They might have issues, or be somehow vulnerable. Or maybe they are a troll." I just couldn't figure it out. Why was nobody saying something about it. Then someone else piped up and agreed with the person, and that was it. I feel kind of bad, as I do not like confrontations, but I felt that I had to say something. To me, it was just so wrong how they were treating people.
What's wrong with disrespect and all-out brawls though?

If people aren't fighting for their core-values, their core-beliefs, their metaphysics—then is it really "Philosophy?" :?:

Post by Age »

friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am

This was in the past. Progress has devolved philosophy into the love of argument. Who cares about wisdom or even knows what it is? The important thing is winning the argument to prove what in reality, you don't understand.
So true. So sad.
One reason the 'love of argument', and, the 'love of winning' has become so commonplace, in the days when this is being written, is because of the other Wrongly used word 'education'. The word 'education' once meant and was used to refer to, 'drawing out', or 'to lead out', 'to bring out'. Which is certainly not how the 'education-system' works, in the days when this is being written anyway. The so-called 'current' 'education-system' works on being told what to think and accept, you will then be questioned, challenged, and tested on what you have 'learned', and if you do not 'copy' and 'follow' what we have 'taught' you, then you will be either discriminated against, ridiculed, humiliated, or punished in one way or another.

Now, back to one reason why the 'love of arguing', (not in the 'logical reasoning' sense, but rather in the 'fighting to win'), is because an amount of the 'current' 'education-system' teaches one to 'pick one side/view', and then 'fight' 'to the death', for 'that side/view'.

So, and as can be clearly seen throughout this forum, this 'picking a side', or having and holding onto a particular view or belief, and then just trying to 'fight', in absolutely anyway possible, to 'prove' to others, that 'my view/belief' is the right one was a very common thing, in the days when this was being written.
friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am I am quite new to philosophy; I actually 'found' it by mistake, and I remember thinking, "How on earth did I not know about this? I have been thinking like this all my life. Now I know what it is called." To me, anyone can be a philosopher.
To me, absolutely every human being is born a True Philosopher, that is; Truly OPEN and Truly WANTING to learn and discover. That is, very sadly, until beliefs are formed, and then absolutely any want of learning and/or any openness to anything opposing that belief completely diminishes.
friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am I cannot jump into everyone's head an know for sure, but I suspect we all are to some extent. I think it is a very human and natural thing.
Very True, the natural instinct of being a human being is to be OPEN, with a very strong desire of wanting to learn and discover more and anew. This is the very reason why human beings, collectively, just keep imagining, inventing, planning, making, and creating newer and newer, once seemingly completely impossible, things.

Also, what else separates human beings from all of the other animals on earth is the human beings' ability to learn, understand, and reason absolutely any and every thing.
friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am I first found out about it because I went back to university to follow my love of creative writing. However, since I was an international student, they told me that for the first semester they would choose my courses for me. One of those courses was philosophy, and I loved it so much. I used to come out of each lecture or seminar almost skipping with energy and excitement lol But I honestly never remember any animosity in the seminars, no trying to win an argument or belittling others. We just talked about all the weird and wonderful ideas that came to us, we laughed a lot and we became friends.
Now, 'that' is the 'real world'.

Here, in this forum, is not the 'real world', although some might belief otherwise.
friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am I had to return to the UK early for family reasons, but I missed philosophy so much, so I naturally sought out a philosophy forum (not initially this one) But I was horrified. Some of the people were so rude and disrespectful and down right nasty. Why? I don't understand at all.
As I was just saying and pointing out above here some adult human beings will try just about absolutely anything 'to win' 'a fight'.

See, to some people here, they are, and literally, 'fighting' for their own existence.

This will become much better understand when who and what 'people' are, exactly, is discovered, or learned, and understood.
friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am What does anyone gain from that?
For some adult human beings, if they think that they have 'won' some thing, then this gives them some sort of 'pleasure' or 'enjoyment'.
friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am Certainly not wisdom. And people telling others that they were talking absolute rubbish and that they were not philosophers. Who are they to stand in judgement over others?
Considering the irrefutable Fact that absolutely every one has absolutely nothing at all to 'judge' another one on, except on one's own 'past experiences', alone, 'judging' another could not be a more Wrong thing to do, in Life.
friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am I mean, perhaps if they could demonstrate that they were the perfect philosopher (their words already indicated quite the opposite) then they may have some grounds to judge.
The only True, or perfect, 'Philosophers' are each and every new born child. From then, it could be argued, it is all downhill. That is, of course, until human beings start learning how to Truly look and Truly listen again, from the Truly OPEN perspective, and thus do actually learn what is actually True, and Right, in Life.

By the way, all adult human beings can, and will, learn far more about 'Life', and living, Itself, in and from the most Truly 'meaningful perspective', from new born human beings, then they could ever learn from anyone else or each other.
friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am I say 'may'.
A perfect 'Philosopher' never 'judges' another. And, an adult perfect 'Philosopher' never does because they already know, exactly, how and why every one is, exactly, the way they are.
friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am They showed total arrogance and disregard for other people's views and feelings, with no respect for fellow human beings. Sorry for venting, but it makes me so upset.
It is not just perfectly great that you are sharing 'your views' from what 'you' have previously experienced, but it also very good for 'you' and others as well.
friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am And the worst thing was that I was waiting for someone to pull them up for their post. I mean, I thought, 'maybe there is something wrong with them. They might have issues, or be somehow vulnerable.
But there is not an adult human being, in the days when this is being written anyway, without 'issues'.
friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am Or maybe they are a troll." I just couldn't figure it out. Why was nobody saying something about it.
Mostly because they are doing whatever they can to so-call 'win', "themselves".
friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am Then someone else piped up and agreed with the person, and that was it. I feel kind of bad, as I do not like confrontations, but I felt that I had to say something. To me, it was just so wrong how they were treating people.
'The world', in which you are living in 'now', or 'currently', is the result of 'a world', which 'taught' its young to 'pick a side/view', and 'fight till the death', for that 'side' or for that 'view'/belief.
friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am So anyway, this is a different forum, and I am hoping so much that people will be more respectful, kinder and open minded.
I am sad to say, I think you might even find this forum somewhat more disrespectful, less kinder, and maybe even more closed, as in this forum, as far as most of 'us' here have discovered, is the only forum where we do not get 'moderated' and/or kicked out of.

Which, in a sense, could eventually result in far more respectful, kinder, peaceful, and OPEN discussions, and even to 'logical reasoning', itself.

friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am Of course, we are not going to all agree on everything,
But, there are some things, which 'we' all do agree on, and even accept, and when 'we' finally get to 'these things', then 'we' will also know what is Truly Right, and Correct, in Life.
friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am but to me, part of philosophy is hearing others views and being able to look at things from all angles so as to work out what we believe and get as clear and honest picture of things as we can.
To 'work out' what one 'believes' I would suggest just asking "yourself", 'What are things that I do 'believe'?' Or, an even better way I found is absolutely any and every 'view' I have, or with each and every 'thought' that arises, again question "yourself", but this time ask, 'Do I 'believe' this to be true, or do I just 'think' this to be true?'

Then you can work on what you 'know' to be true, which is even different again.

But, having the 'love-of-wisdom', within, and the True desire to just keep learning more and more, anew and anewer, which just comes from having a 'love-of-learning', within, which is what is being Truly wise is, exactly, and from where 'wisdom', itself, actually comes from is done, best, exactly like you said and wrote here, From just hearing other's views, and from being able to look at things from all angles as well, then one cannot stop learning, and thus cannot also stop becoming 'wiser'. Which is just what 'philosophy' once used to mean.
friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 am We may not all agree, but everyone has a right to their opinions, and this should be mutually respected... in my view.
I would just disagree that not everyone as a 'right' to their opinions, if 'their opinions' involve the abuse of any thing.

Now, of course, every one, 'old enough' to have opinions, will have opinions, but no one has a 'right' to any opinion if 'that opinion' will lead to the harm or damage of any other one/thing.

Post by Age »

Wizard22 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:23 am
friendofyours wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 amI had to return to the UK early for family reasons, but I missed philosophy so much, so I naturally sought out a philosophy forum (not initially this one) But I was horrified. Some of the people were so rude and disrespectful and down right nasty. Why? I don't understand at all. What does anyone gain from that? Certainly not wisdom. And people telling others that they were talking absolute rubbish and that they were not philosophers. Who are they to stand in judgement over others? I mean, perhaps if they could demonstrate that they were the perfect philosopher (their words already indicated quite the opposite) then they may have some grounds to judge. I say 'may'. They showed total arrogance and disregard for other people's views and feelings, with no respect for fellow human beings. Sorry for venting, but it makes me so upset. And the worst thing was that I was waiting for someone to pull them up for their post. I mean, I thought, 'maybe there is something wrong with them. They might have issues, or be somehow vulnerable. Or maybe they are a troll." I just couldn't figure it out. Why was nobody saying something about it. Then someone else piped up and agreed with the person, and that was it. I feel kind of bad, as I do not like confrontations, but I felt that I had to say something. To me, it was just so wrong how they were treating people.
What's wrong with disrespect and all-out brawls though?

If people aren't fighting for their core-values, their core-beliefs, their metaphysics—then is it really "Philosophy?" :?:
Hopefully this one is completely and utterly joking here.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Age wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:39 amHopefully this one is completely and utterly joking here.
And if I'm not...?! :lol:
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

So true. So sad.

I am quite new to philosophy; I actually 'found' it by mistake, and I remember thinking, "How on earth did I not know about this? I have been thinking like this all my life. Now I know what it is called." To me, anyone can be a philosopher. I cannot jump into everyone's head an know for sure, but I suspect we all are to some extent. I think it is a very human and natural thing.

I first found out about it because I went back to university to follow my love of creative writing. However, since I was an international student, they told me that for the first semester they would choose my courses for me. One of those courses was philosophy, and I loved it so much. I used to come out of each lecture or seminar almost skipping with energy and excitement lol But I honestly never remember any animosity in the seminars, no trying to win an argument or belittling others. We just talked about all the weird and wonderful ideas that came to us, we laughed a lot and we became friends.

I had to return to the UK early for family reasons, but I missed philosophy so much, so I naturally sought out a philosophy forum (not initially this one) But I was horrified. Some of the people were so rude and disrespectful and down right nasty. Why? I don't understand at all. What does anyone gain from that? Certainly not wisdom. And people telling others that they were talking absolute rubbish and that they were not philosophers. Who are they to stand in judgement over others? I mean, perhaps if they could demonstrate that they were the perfect philosopher (their words already indicated quite the opposite) then they may have some grounds to judge. I say 'may'. They showed total arrogance and disregard for other people's views and feelings, with no respect for fellow human beings. Sorry for venting, but it makes me so upset. And the worst thing was that I was waiting for someone to pull them up for their post. I mean, I thought, 'maybe there is something wrong with them. They might have issues, or be somehow vulnerable. Or maybe they are a troll." I just couldn't figure it out. Why was nobody saying something about it. Then someone else piped up and agreed with the person, and that was it. I feel kind of bad, as I do not like confrontations, but I felt that I had to say something. To me, it was just so wrong how they were treating people.

So anyway, this is a different forum, and I am hoping so much that people will be more respectful, kinder and open minded. Of course, we are not going to all agree on everything, but to me, part of philosophy is hearing others views and being able to look at things from all angles so as to work out what we believe and get as clear and honest picture of things as we can. We may not all agree, but everyone has a right to their opinions, and this should be mutually respected... in my view.
I don't know how to break this to you, but wisdom and philosophy aren't linked, other than by the same means that plumbing and lead smithing are. The handful of people who do believe that there is a real link typically also consider themselves to be very very wise, and in all too many cases this delusion is best explained by lead in their drinking water in childhood.

In other bad news, an awful lot of those names you dislike are quite true. For instance Wizzard22 there likes to call me jewsish because that is a very very bad thing in his worldview. I largely dismiss him because he is a nazi with a delusional disorder that causes him to intermittently believe he is directly inspired by God to tell us to kill all the homosexuals, seperate the whites from the blacks (sadly, not a discussion of laundromat etiquette) and of course, do something nasty to the jews.

Post by Age »

Wizard22 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:40 am
Age wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:39 amHopefully this one is completely and utterly joking here.
And if I'm not...?! :lol:
Then you are not, obviously.

Post by Age »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:24 pm

So true. So sad.

I don't know how to break this to you, but wisdom and philosophy aren't linked, other than by the same means that plumbing and lead smithing are. The handful of people who do believe that there is a real link typically also consider themselves to be very very wise, and in all too many cases this delusion is best explained by lead in their drinking water in childhood.
Here 'we' have another one who believes that its own version, personal view/belief, or that its own personal definition is the true and right one, and if absolutely anyone else's differ, then it is 'they' who have the false, wrong, inaccurate, or incorrect versions, views, beliefs and/or definitions.

The words 'philosophy' and 'wisdom' can be 'linked' by the way that was expressed, very clearly, in the opening post.

But, of course those two words do not 'mean' the exact same thing. But, surely absolutely everyone here knew this already anyway.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:24 pm In other bad news, an awful lot of those names you dislike are quite true. For instance Wizzard22 there likes to call me jewsish because that is a very very bad thing in his worldview. I largely dismiss him because he is a nazi with a delusional disorder that causes him to intermittently believe he is directly inspired by God to tell us to kill all the homosexuals, seperate the whites from the blacks (sadly, not a discussion of laundromat etiquette) and of course, do something nasty to the jews.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Age wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:06 pm The words 'philosophy' and 'wisdom' can be 'linked' by the way that was expressed, very clearly, in the opening post.
The Eiffel Tower and your nose can be 'linked' by constructing any sentence to include those words. That doesn't make it natural or helpful to link them.

The words 'philosophy' and 'wisdom' are not usefully linked, and any fool who says otherwise can waste the rest of their lives constructing their 'philosophical' theory about what wisdom actually is.

Anybody who actually posesses wisdom would be too wise to compare it to philosophy. Anybody who can actually do philosophy should recognise the irrelevance of wisdom to that activity.