Nietzsche & Evolution

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Nietzsche & Evolution

Post by Philosophy Now »

H. James Birx looks at Darwin’s profound influence on Nietzsche’s dynamic philosophy.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/29/Nietzsche_and_Evolution
popeye1945

Re: Nietzsche & Evolution

Post by popeye1945 »

Philosophy Now wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:19 pm H. James Birx looks at Darwin’s profound influence on Nietzsche’s dynamic philosophy.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/29/Nie ... _Evolution
Can't say as I get excited about Nietzsche's overman. Is there anywhere in his philosophy that he identifies with the essence of all life being the same across the board? Did he realize we all differ only in structure and form which fits us into our differing niches in this world? Was there any sense of there being no such thing as independent existence, or the fact that we are all reactive creatures? Darwin did indeed kill God, that must have been for Nietzsche an observation gleaned from Darwin's writings. Did Nietzsche acknowledge that the only direction proper to life was adapting to its guiding object, the slowly ever-changing earth?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

just the opposite actually... become the artist rather than a smudge on the canvas

-Imp
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Impenitent wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:48 am just the opposite actually... become the artist rather than a smudge on the canvas

-Imp
Impenitent.

Please expand.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

https://theconversation.com/living-life ... vity-36257

start with his Birth of Tragedy

-Imp
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Impenitent wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:49 pm https://theconversation.com/living-life ... vity-36257

-Imp
You wish to give me homework?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

popeye1945 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:14 pm
Impenitent wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:49 pm https://theconversation.com/living-life ... vity-36257

-Imp
Popeye1945, never mind Imp. What do you want to know? If I can give any insight I will try.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:45 pm

-Imp
Popeye1945, never mind Imp. What do you want to know? If I can give any insight I will try.
Your statement is not understandable to me, just what you are referring to. What is Imp?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

-Imp
Excellent article, a pleasure to read and not too long; it gives one the highlights. Actually the entire short volume is full of insight and will read again having read a long time ago! It's not necessary to agree with everything; even Nietzsche wouldn't have expected it. It makes one think, which is clearly too much of an ordeal for some!
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

popeye1945 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:09 am

Your statement is not understandable to me, just what you are referring to. What is Imp?
Imp is short for Impertinent, the poster who posted the link. You said Impertinent gave you "homework" by posting the link. If you don't wish to read the link but have questions about something that Impertinent will not answer, then perhaps I can see if I can help answer the questions for you. If I can't do that then you might need to read the link, if you think the link might have some important information for you.
owl of Minerva

Post by owl of Minerva »

Sound, Time, Space, and the Atom. The original four ideas, referred to as Manu since ancient times. Where it all began, not in some primordial slime. Devolution, Evolution, Involution. Can’t ignore the first or the third stages in comprehending the nature of reality.or of man. If he did not originate the four ideas, then he is the product of them, formed by them, subject to them. His godlike status is bogus.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

-Imp
I am just puzzled as to how it relates to what I posted. I am familiar with the two passions of human nature, but it seems to have little to do with what I posted. That is why I asked for clarity.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

popeye1945 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:22 pm

I am just puzzled as to how it relates to what I posted. I am familiar with the two passions of human nature, but it seems to have little to do with what I posted. That is why I asked for clarity.
Ah. I see. Good point. Yes, Impenitant seems to do a lot of what I would call "meme" posting. Maybe one could even call it "meme philosophy". I don't know. He never seems to explain his position or his posts. I usually just ignore him. But I mostly understand his memes and why he puts them out there. I just don't like the fact that he doesn't share his views more on the forum or unpack his points better, other than to post little quips. Reminds me of some of Schopenhauer's aphorisms, only Impenitant's quips don't even make it to the point of "aphorism" it seems. If they had a little more content, then they would come closer to completing a thought. But whatever. It seems the rest of us will need to fill in the blanks if we're going to play his game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:31 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:22 pm

Ah. I see. Good point. Yes, Impenitant seems to do a lot of what I would call "meme" posting. Maybe one could even call it "meme philosophy". I don't know. He never seems to explain his position or his posts. I usually just ignore him. But I mostly understand his memes and why he puts them out there. I just don't like the fact that he doesn't share his views more on the forum or unpack his points better, other than to post little quips. Reminds me of some of Schopenhauer's aphorisms, only Impenitant's quips don't even make it to the point of "aphorism" it seems. If they had a little more content, then they would come closer to completing a thought. But whatever. It seems the rest of us will need to fill in the blanks if we're going to play his game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks Gary!!
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

owl of Minerva wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:08 pm Sound, Time, Space, and the Atom. The original four ideas, referred to as Manu since ancient times. Where it all began, not in some primordial slime. Devolution, Evolution, Involution. Can’t ignore the first or the third stages in comprehending the nature of reality. Or of man. If he did not originate the four ideas, then he is the product of them, formed by them, subject to them. His godlike status is bogus.
Modern science tells us all is energy. Historically, they had searched for the elemental stuff that makes up all matter, only to find out that matter is not made of matter. There isn't any sound in the physical world, for like everything else about apparent reality, sound is a biological readout. Apparent reality is caused by man, or rather it is an emergent quality caused by the energies that surround us and how they alter our biology of senses, so in essence apparent reality is biological reactions utterly relevant to biological consciousness. The general primordial conditions for life to have arisen is termed in general the primordial pond, probably the ocean. It kind of explains how starting with the first self-replicating molecule in this primordial pool, how we ended up after the pool was depleted of its elementary nourishment, we ended up with a situation where life lives upon life. Got you on the last point, for God was made in the image of man, and just a cruel and irrational as his creators.