6 Signs You’ve Taken The Blue Pill

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Post by Philosophy Now »

Lewis Vaughn tells you how you can know whether you’re a conspiracy theorist.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/154/6_Signs_Youve_Taken_The_Blue_Pill
Thales

Re: 6 Signs You’ve Taken The Blue Pill

Post by Thales »

Hi Lewis!

Loved the article but I do think that using examples from BOTH sides of the political spectrum might have strengthened your case more. I would not go so far as to say the left traffics in conspiracy theories as much as the right but there are a fair amount of "facts" that are presented by the media that slant towards a liberal bent that are just not true. An example would be the statement that I see quite a bit online and in the news that the Atlanta massage parlor shootings were "race related" and kickstarted the entire "Stop Asian Hate" campaign. When in fact this was a deeply disturbed man that was dealing with religious and sexual conflicts that were the dark origins of his rampage. This is something that has been verified but I continue to see in the press and online that this was a racially motivated event.

Regardless I really enjoyed the article. Take care.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Philosophy Now wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:44 pm Lewis Vaughn tells you how you can know whether you’re a conspiracy theorist.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/154/6_ ... _Blue_Pill
This seemed incomplete. At least, I see no list of 6 when I follow the link.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

not that blue pill

-Imp
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

This is all I find on the link....
Lewis Vaughn tells you how you can know whether you’re a conspiracy theorist.
Millions have embraced the outrageous, demonstrably false partisan claims of our times, such as the lie that the 2020 presidential election was stolen from Donald Trump, or that the Nuremberg Code says mask mandates are a war crime, or that Covid vaccines are dangerous and ineffective, or that the US government is controlled by Satan-worshipping pedophiles… Among the misinformed are those who simply believe; and then there are those who really, really believe. Partisans in this latter group, liberal or conservative, don’t just dispute contrary evidence: For them, the idea they reject is impossible, and there can be no conceivable evidence or argument that would convince them otherwise. They will stick to their guns in the face of overwhelming contradictory evidence. Like the shopkeeper in the famous Monty Python parrot skit, they will insist that their cold, stiff, dead bird is very much alive. In an epistemic sense, they live in their own alternative reality – like those in the The Matrix who would prefer to take the blue pill, and thus continue to live unaware that they’re in a simulated world where nothing is real and fantasies rule their mind.
He doesn't seem to understand the Monty Python skit. The shopkeeper doesn't want to admit that the bird is dead, because then he needs to refund the customer. He's not living in an alternate reality impervious to evidence. He's being a dick to save money. I never people claiming mask mandates violated the Nuremberg Code. Probably some did, but many said it the rna vaccine mandates did. And odd to call CTs like those who take the blue pill (I suppose this could have been clever rhetoric, but I think then it needs more clarity) since the red pill revealed conspiracies. The blue pill restricted one from noticing.