Theism Soothes the Existential Angst

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Theism Soothes the Existential Angst

Post by attofishpi »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:34 am
attofishpi wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:27 pm
Really? You agree with him? So where am I soooothing some 'existential angst' from a 'FEAR or DEATH' - when I have REQUESTED to GOD that I be DEAD FOR THE REST OF ETERNITY..???

Idiots.
Yes I agree with him.
Of course you do, because you are a fucking idiot that couldn't fathom a fart from a dart.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:47 am
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:34 am
attofishpi wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:27 pm
Really? You agree with him? So where am I soooothing some 'existential angst' from a 'FEAR or DEATH' - when I have REQUESTED to GOD that I be DEAD FOR THE REST OF ETERNITY..???

Idiots.
Yes I agree with him.
Of course you do, because you are a fucking idiot that couldn't fathom a fart from a dart.
You know nothing except what you project from your own self, which is the only original source of any knowledge or knowing.

I am the last idiot.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:39 am

It is not like that this potential would have been active when one is born as a baby or toddler.
But it is present and active in a baby and a toddler.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:02 am

It is not like that this potential would have been active when one is born as a baby or toddler.
That's not a quote from what I wrote, they are VA's words.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:19 am
I was about six after being told by a black kid that there was no God, when I stood at the side of our sports field and stared at the trees in the distance...and I had an epiphany - it was like I understood there was more to the makeup of reality (there is in light of atoms and the quantum world)....and I made my mind up there, that God exists..!!

VERITAS - IT HAD FUCK ALL TO DO WITH MY SIX YEAR OLD BRAIN FEARING DEATH!!!!
You was told there was no God, as a kid you were being told nothing was responsible for the makeup of reality, and you perhaps didn't want to believe that.

Truth is, all that can be known is this unknowable reality.

In knowing you are alive automatically informs you will die.

So that's why you had to believe there had to be more to the makeup of reality..as if there was something other than yourself that was responsible for it.

That is known as an an existential angst, knowing full well you have no control over your life whatsoever, and along with that knowing is the fear of the possibility of nonexistence or death, which is lonely, isolating, and terrifying knowing one's very existence is in question.

But if God exists, everything is just hunky dory, a soothing balm for a doubting mind.
Last edited by Dontaskme on Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:28 am
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:02 am

That's not a quote from what I wrote, they are VA's words.
Who ever quoted it, matters not. 'Terror' and 'Existential Angst' is present and active in babies and toddlers.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:57 am Who ever quoted it, matters not. 'Terror' and 'Existential Angst' is present and active in babies and toddlers.
Terror, sure, but existential angst...I don't see it. Not with that term as it is used in philosophy. Dread in the face of the meaninglessness of life, fear of the inevitability of death, fear in the face of freedom and responsibility. Older children, yup. Been there myself. But babies and toddlers no. But teror they definitely feel.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:49 am
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:57 am Who ever quoted it, matters not. 'Terror' and 'Existential Angst' is present and active in babies and toddlers.
Terror, sure, but existential angst...I don't see it. Not with that term as it is used in philosophy. Dread in the face of the meaninglessness of life, fear of the inevitability of death, fear in the face of freedom and responsibility. Older children, yup. Been there myself. But babies and toddlers no. But terror they definitely feel.
I remember feeling existential angst as a 4/5 year old, but I guess that is not classed as a toddler or baby. So yes, ok, not in babies and toddlers, but certainly adults and small children and teenagers, and old people.

And the man-made idea of God does apparently soothe that apparent angst. . so it is a valid point to make, because feelings are real.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:31 am
Sculptor wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:29 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:14 am The God of Christianity and Islam comprising the majority of theists is fundamentally claimed to be absolutely perfect [in power, morality and other features] so no other gods can do a one-up on them, thus such a God would have the ability to create the universe, grant eternal life and set the moral standard.
Where is your evidence?
Most people do not even think about god in detail. For most people it is a vague idea something so do with creation.
Mostly people are too busy to care.
And the main reason people are Christians is not because of angst, or worry or fear. It is because they are brought up that way. From the earliest age they have it stuffed into them, unquestioningly. That is why type of religion correlates directly to place of birth more than any other factor.
People just grow up with the assumptions and myth of their culture.
You can rationalise all you like but generally people grow up with a set of unexamined beliefs and exceptionalisms and when challenged usually go on the defensive rather than unpack their delusions.
Read again,
"The God of Christianity and Islam [comprising the majority of theists] is fundamentally claimed to be absolutely perfect [in power, morality and other features] .... "
So, it is in PRINCIPLE that the God for both Christianity and Islam are claimed to be Perfect, so this principle is imposed on all these believers by default.
You can see the exact moment where your brain switches off.