Adrian Monk

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

Adrian Monk

Post by duszek »

Sometimes I watch the series with Mr Monk investigating in San Francisco and I wonder what is wrong with him. He seems to have a special kind of intuition which helps to see through things, but on the other hand he is too much concerned with hygiene.

He is certainly not a person with the Asperger syndrome, although his social skills are not what you would expect from an average person.

Could someone offer a psychological analysis of him ?
I have some things in common with him, and so do many people on this forum, I suppose.
Impenitent

Re: Adrian Monk

Post by Impenitent »

he has OCD with a myriad of phobias... check his wiki page

Tony Shaloub is a brilliant actor

-Imp

Post by Age »

"adrian monk" is just the name or label for a FICTIONAL CHARACTER, which is PLAYED, or ACTED OUT, by A 'human being'.

There is NOTHING 'wrong', NOR 'right' with a FICTIONAL CHARACTER. Whatever 'characteristics' of this CHARACTER have just bee 'put there' BY the "writer" of THAT CHARACTER.

If you REALLY want to OBTAIN and GATHER the True and/or FULL 'psychological analysis' of THAT CHARACTER, then just ASK the "writer/s" who MAKE UP that FICTIONAL CHARACTER.

By the way, it could said or argued that you have some things in common with just about ALL people if NOT ALL people.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Mr Impenitent

I don´t know the actor, does he play any other roles ?
Never thought of checking wikipedia for a fictional character.

My guess was that the director and script writer wanted to show that certain people who seem "strange" have their good qualities.
duszek

Post by duszek »

What´s the point of asking a novelist or a script writer about one of their characters ????

It´s for the audience or public to figure out for themselves.
This can happen by discussing it together in a polite way.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

He was in MIB and Galaxy Quest and a bunch of other things

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001724/

-Imp
duszek

Post by duszek »

Hygiene is an important issue and can decide about life and death.

Monk probably never thought of the danger of frequent hand washing. Skin needs a layer for protection against germs and this layer gets destroyed when you wash your hands. Some people washed their hands too much because of corona and they regretted it soon enough.

Gloves are a good solution. People used to wear gloves also in summer (as we know from novels and historical movies) and that´s what I do nowadays, preferring not to touch railings, shopping trolleys, money and handle bars of all kinds, and door handles.
You can safely shake hands with gloves on, you can feel the grip of the other person without worrying about germs.

Monk once refused to walk barefoot in a room full of other people walking barefoot and doing martial arts. You get athlete´s foot (fungus) that way, so Monk was right and he shouldn´t have been forced to remove his shoes.