Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: Christianity

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Master AJ writes: The myriad pastors who work in this mass-religious field all *work the crowd* and are master psychologists and manipulators.
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:12 pmIf you get your view of what Christians are from watching televangelists, you'll be sadly misled as to what most of them are like. The secular world is rife with charlatans and used-car salesmen...you don't take them as indicative of every Atheist, or even of most of them, I presume.
Because you have supreme difficulty reading and understanding what others write, and because you consistently rephrase what they say into terms of your own *hearing* -- that is you respond not to what they are saying but in a response to what your own personal ideological battles are as an Evangelical -- you likely cannot really understand what I am getting at in the larger sense.

However, this is of no consequence to me. Because I am here for my own purposes and I have defined my interest and my objectives and I stick to them. This is a solid advantage when dealing with a public forum like this one where, suddenly, those of somewhat unbalanced mind can insert all sorts of lunacy and divert the conversation into the inane. (Sorry, that was a bit of grandstanding and commentary on recent posts).

Modern American Evangelical Protestantism is a mass-religion. You cannot separate it from its context within the mass-media world. Therefore, it is imperative to watch the televangelists and also to study and become aware of the transformation of Evangelicalism over the course of the last 100 years.

It does not matter a great deal (though it does matter some) that you propose that there is a chemically pure and uncorrupted version of Evangelical Christianity which is the *true Christian form* (in fact this is your stated position). From a cultural and sociological perspective what matters is what is actually going on today. Again, I have clarified my own area of interest: the contemporary world.

You also make another large mistake. You suppose that I (the marvelous quixotic Alexis Jacobi) have an issue with Christians. You seem to take my critical position as a call to arms against all those you are personally battling here as well as *out there* in the secular world. And very often you misread what I say so that you can make statements of defense against your anti-Christian enemies.

When I describe you as a religious fanatic I am, I think, using a bold but a fair & honest term. Religious fundamentalism has, I suppose I'd say, its place and it is not my objective to overturn it. My objective is to *see* it and describe it fairly. I have been involved in studying various fundamentalisms because these arise in the Culture Wars. I am not interested so much in abstract debates over their varied core ideas as I am in understanding how their ideas and their activism dovetail with contemporary events and issues. Obviously, you are a religious fundamentalist. Your fundamentalism takes shape within biblical inerrancy.

The Genesis narrative, for you, is 'real history'. And as this seems to be so it then follows that you accept a whole range of different interpretive tenets that are foundational to Christian belief but more specifically to Evangelical interpretations of Bible prophecy. Here, I present you with an opportunity to clarify your exact position but I believe that you won't. Why? Because you seem to shy away when you are asked to make definitive statements. (And here I notice a sort of deception and double-talk).

It is not at all unfair and it is definitely not a vain or senseless attack to focus on the outrageous beliefs of the mass of Evangelical Christian believers and to *locate* you and your apologetics within this larger movement.

When I say I do not have issues with Christians what I mean is that I am aware of my own position and location (these are special terms and I do not mean physical location). I am outside of the fray insofar as, to use a colloquial expression, I do not have a pony in the race. Since you are so inclined to misread, and mis-rephrase, let me clarify: I try to observe what is going on, and understand each person's of each group's stated position. I find that in service to my project (understanding) to remain largely neutral serves my purposes better. There is more to be gained from arriving at understanding of varied positions than there is to become a partisan of specific positions. (But I am not opposed to partisan positions).

However politically, socially and culturally I am aware that "we must take a position". Yet I do not mean myself (necessarily in my context as investigator and observer). I mean that the present demands that people take positions and sides. An example of this would be James Lidsay who 'rises to the occasion' and makes the effort to work through a complex history of ideas in an attempt to clarify ideas which he then offers to people involved in *defensive activism* in our present. That is to say a counter-movement against what he identifies (too broadly in my own view) as Marxian revolutionary movements. It is a question of painting with too broad a brush and not that I do no understand, appreciate and agree with significant parts of his analysis.

You are not *removed from the fray* insofar as you have a whole range of opinions (political, social, economic, ideological, religious) that you regularly express in other threads on this forum. Therefore, it is fair to describe you as an ideologically activist Evangelical who has operative stances that coincide with ideological positions outlined by Evangelicalism generally. And these are ideas and views communicated through mass-media channels.

It is true, nonetheless, that I cannot accept *rationally* the metaphysical basis of your belief-system -- insofar as you are a biblical literalist. This is impossible for me and will remain so. And in this my critical position undermining or exposing Hebrew idea imperialism and the idea-tribalism of the Hebrews -- and my exposure of the character of Yahweh as a perverse demiurge -- is a necessary component of my larger analysis and project. Obviously, this places me vis-à-vis you and your entire apologetic project as an enemy. That is, you have no alternative but to assign this role to me. And as I say this fits into your larger Evangelical project of 'battling the world' and, naturally, satanic power.

If you get clear about these things -- you often seem not to be that clear about what, in reality, you are doing -- it will make any conversation that develops here (between all those who participate) a bit less -- what is the word? -- cluttered and confused.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:22 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:03 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:09 am This conversation you're describing never took place.

I've never "denied" any part of the Holocaust. I know very well it happened, and I know it from impartial evidence. So there's no reason I would.
You really should learn to read a context instead of picking one sentence and misrepesenting it.
Fair enough. My mistake.
In the meantime, I asked Jacobi about 3 conspiracy theories: Fake moon landings, Flat Earth, and Holocaust denial. He replied that the first two were conspiracy theories but the third can't be dismissed in the same way. I wasn't allowed to ask what that last bit means because he sets impossible terms as a way of not responding to a question.

This seems like something you could add to your arsenal of evasion.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Obviously, the Earth is flat. Otherwise you’d walk a bit and suddenly be on a slope. Basic stuff, Hot Pants.

Doesn’t everyone know there were no ‘moon landings’?!?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:47 pm you likely cannot really understand what I am getting at in the larger sense.
Nothing you say is very hard.
Modern American Evangelical Protestantism is a mass-religion. You cannot separate it from its context within the mass-media world.
No, you're wrong. You're judging merely by that which you can see in the media, because you don't see much. Evangelicalism is not televangelism.
You also make another large mistake. You suppose that I (the marvelous quixotic Alexis Jacobi) have an issue with Christians.
Not at all. Rather, I don't think you even know what one is. :shock:

That's a much bigger problem for your theory, of course.
When I describe you as a religious fanatic I am...
...being pointlessly ad hominem. Yes. It wouldn't matter, even if it were true.
The Genesis narrative, for you, is 'real history'.
It depends on what you mean. I never know what you really mean, because you're so evasive.

Do you mean that I believe snakes can talk? No, I don't: I think that's clearly a metaphor singaling the features of deviousness and danger. Do you mean that I believe God created the universe? Yes, I do.
Here, I present you with an opportunity to clarify your exact position but I believe that you won't.
See above. You were wrong.
An example of this would be James Lidsay who 'rises to the occasion' and makes the effort to work through a complex history of ideas in an attempt to clarify ideas which he then offers to people involved in *defensive activism* in our present.
"Lindsay," you mean?

You'll find, if you listen to him, that his entire method is to make things the Left has made artificially complicated into clear, direct truth; your whole project is premised on the opposite method, the complexifying of things in order to hide a bad theory amid the jargon. I think you are not at all in his company, and nothing you've said so far convinces me you have the perspecuity and clarity to be able to swim in his pool.
That is to say a counter-movement against what he identifies (too broadly in my own view) as Marxian revolutionary movements. It is a question of painting with too broad a brush and not that I do no understand, appreciate and agree with significant parts of his analysis.
If so, that also doesn't speak well of you. Lindsay does his homework, and uses original sources. He reads his opponents very carefully, and makes explicit what they are at pains to hide. He's right about the Neo-Marxists, and he's got the goods to prove he is. And I can tell you for a fact, from independent evidence, that he is the real deal.

But I understand why you don't like him, given the opposition of both his methods and his politics to yours.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:13 pm ...he sets impossible terms as a way of not responding to a question.
He does. It's true.

And you substitute abuse for refutation, and nastiness for thought. But I find you toothless, and conversation with you of very low value. He, at least, presents a challenge of some kind. You don't offer much, so I really don't bother responding to you with much length. You don't appear to me to be interested in ideas, actually...just in trolling and spite.

I have no time for that.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

If what I say were not hard for you, you'd understand. You rarely understand. Or (as I say) you *hear* what you want to hear. Understanding what your problem is, is not easy. Therefore I opine that you are convoluted.
Evangelicalism is not televangelism.
Note I did not say that Evangelism is televangelism. Here you mis-hear and rephrase according to what you have *heard*. I do say that American Evangelicalism is a mass-religion however. And televangelism, and mass-communication, definitely are prominent.

If you lear to read what people write not what you want them to have written, you'll do much better.
Rather, I don't think you even know what one is.
A false claim. You could say, and it would at least appear fair, that I do not have enough knowledge but you cannot say that I have no understanding ("do not even know what one is").

You hear what you want and need to hear and you respond to that. It is I gather part of your larger Evangelical battles.
being pointlessly ad hominem. Yes. It wouldn't matter, even if it were true.
Oh no, it very much matters and it is an important point. And it is 100% true. It is you who will not define yourself as a religious fundamentalist aka as a religious fanatic. Why?
It depends on what you mean. I never know what you really mean, because you're so evasive.
Do you mean that I believe snakes can talk? No, I don't: I think that's clearly a metaphor singaling the features of deviousness and danger.
If a snake did not talk, what 'talked' then? Do you see the snake metaphor as a representation of Satan?

Evasive? No, sir. We went over this months back. But let's clarify here: Do you believe in an original couple who were created and set down in a Garden from which they were then expelled? That is, a human pair without antecedents? Just as the Bible (Genesis) tells it.

Let us go through each of the Genesis story elements in the same way, may we? Then you can clarify your real (non-evasive) position within thoese central Christian tenets.

Fair enough?
You'll find, if you listen to him, that his entire method is to make things the Left has made artificially complicated into clear, direct truth; your whole project is premised on the opposite method, the complexifying of things in order to hide a bad theory amid the jargon. I think you are not at all in his company, and nothing you've said so far convinces me you have the perspicuity and clarity to be able to swim in his pool.
If so, that also doesn't speak well of you. Lindsay does his homework, and uses original sources. He reads his opponents very carefully, and makes explicit what they are at pains to hide. He's right about the Neo-Marxists, and he's got the goods to prove he is. And I can tell you for a fact, from independent evidence, that he is the real deal.
I did not say that he is not dealing in real substance ("the real deal" is your term. I do not say that his method is bad or defective. And he certainly does provide clarification through his analysis of the texts he reads. No part of this did I say he does not do. What I said is that he paints with too wide a brush.

And once again you distort for your own purposes what I clearly, and fairly, said. In this you are incorrigible. There is no way to talk with you because you distort everything.
But I understand why you don't like him, given the opposition of both his methods and his politics to yours.
I did not say that I "don't like him". You put in my mouth what I did not say and would not want to have said.

What Immanuel is this fanaticism of yours that causes you to need to distort everything? What is it exactly?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:13 pm I wasn't allowed to ask what that last bit means because he sets impossible terms as a way of not responding to a question.
What are those *impossible terms*? Can you provide an example?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel wrote: being pointlessly ad hominem. Yes. It wouldn't matter, even if it were true.
Ascended Master AJ writes: Oh no, it very much matters and it is an important point. And it is 100% true. It is you who will not define yourself as a religious fundamentalist aka as a religious fanatic. Why?
Here is the reason you will not define yourself as a 'religious fanatic' or a religious fundamentalist: it is because you believe that every element of the religious system you operate in, is true. So you are defending what is 'true' and, by definition, what is true must be right and also real. I.e. the only way to believe and to see. All other ways are therefore false.

If one disagrees with any element within the System one is, in your mind, denying 'reality'.

"Religious fanaticism?" you might say. "Absolutely not! It is the way things really are! Just read Romans 1! It is clearly expressed right there. End of conversation. There is no debate".

Et cetera et cetera...
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:13 pm
Immanuel wrote: being pointlessly ad hominem. Yes. It wouldn't matter, even if it were true.
Ascended Master AJ writes: Oh no, it very much matters and it is an important point. And it is 100% true. It is you who will not define yourself as a religious fundamentalist aka as a religious fanatic. Why?
Well, because it's false. That's as good a reason as I can think of.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:47 pm Because you have supreme difficulty reading and understanding what others write, and because you consistently rephrase what they say into terms of your own *hearing* -- that is you respond not to what they are saying but in a response to what your own personal ideological battles are as an Evangelical -- you likely cannot really understand what I am getting at in the larger sense.
Well, that's fine, if you think so. But since you're free with deciding how you see me, maybe I owe you an account of how I have come to see you. That seems at least fair, if not entirely asked-for.

I should say first, though, that it's not offered as an argument or an insult, far less in retaliation. I don't find myself irked if you have a diminished impression of my sincerity or intelligence; you have a right to your opinion, and I am not in need of your approval in any way. You can be quite pleasant, and the fact that you are being a bit taciturn and personal at the moment doesn't throw me off. You may be pleasant again, one day.

They say that "turnabout is fair play." I don't feel that. But since I have a strong "vibe" from you, and can make my own assessment of where you're coming from, it might be useful for you to know how you're coming across. That being said, I suspect I will not make you particularly happy by it. Nevertheless I will offer it without pejoratives and abuse, and without the goal of discrediting you as a person. I'll simply say how it seems to me. You can make what use of it you wish.

Here goes:

Right now, you strike me as a person who has read some academic books,(Weaver, Lindsay, for example) but has not really understood them very well. Because of this, you've come to mistake your own feeling of bogglement in the face of academic writing as a signal of your own increasing wisdom or -- to use your term, of "openness." Maybe your professors told you that confusion was a signal of deepening understanding, even when unresolved; who knows? Whatever the cause, it seems you've come to associate your own feeling of fuzzy understanding with the truth of deep understanding. And desirous of being also thought an intellectual, you've replicated the style you perceive to be in the academics you've read, but with the bogglement included (hence, your inability to define even basic terms upon which your theory itself depends). In the struggle to derive a precise idea from their writings, you've reproduced no precise ideas in your own (hence, your turgid style). And you've felt that sufficiently perplexing others, through the use of jargon, would suffice to make your ideas profound and make you an important commentator (hence, your lengthy diatribes; you appear happy to talk one-sidedly, it seems, and feel little need for input and your intolerance for questions).

But you seem determined to be thought a "great thinker," so you cannot give up the theorizing and explicating, even when nobody has rational basis to take it seriously anymore; and you don't seem to notice that, so far, as a result of all your advancing of it, not a single person has adopted your theory, so far as we know. Something in your method is not working for you. And it might just be that people aren't all that drawn to fuzzily-formed theories.

This, I offer without animus, as merely a reflection on what I am presently seeing revealed in your style of writing. If you have more to give, or wish to make a different impression, perhaps you can. I'm happy to see it, if you do. But at the same time, I don't doubt that others will see justice in the description above; I think it's what we're all experiencing from your current style.

We cannot help but notice that your response to questions is obfuscation, and your response to persistent questions is abuse. This bespeaks the vulnerability of your theories, which you seem to be instinctively keen to protect against the effects of philosophical inspection.

But I think you can do better. At moments, I think you have.

And my suggestion is that maybe you should let the questions refine your theory. Maybe you should define your key terms, if only so that you, yourself come to understand them, and maybe stop seeing every questioner as a vexatious adversary. Some who are here, I think, are actually trying to get smarter through engaging with other views. And if you don't think I'm one of them, then maybe you still want to be, yourself.

But I submit that to your consideration.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Nice. But no part of any of this addresses any part of my criticisms of those specific issues and questions I bring up.

It is more bad faith on your part and a means to avoid substantive responses.

It is not your sincerity that I question, nor your intelligence, it is just as I say: religious fanaticism takes hold of people — like a possession. It is like a mental disease.

Nothing you have said in your critical essay has relevance to the concerns I outline.

Maybe you can give it another shot?
FlashDangerpants

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:05 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:13 pm I wasn't allowed to ask what that last bit means because he sets impossible terms as a way of not responding to a question.
What are those *impossible terms*? Can you provide an example?
Shit like this stuff below AJ, don't be a silly wanker about it.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:29 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:03 amPrecisely which piece of the holocaust denial 'interpretation' (your term) are you endorsing today?
What is your background in the study of the Shoah and how has your understanding of it been formed? What I am asking for is the list of all the titles you have read. Please be detailed and ‘precise’.
FlashDangerpants

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:35 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:13 pm ...he sets impossible terms as a way of not responding to a question.
He does. It's true.

And you substitute abuse for refutation, and nastiness for thought. But I find you toothless, and conversation with you of very low value. He, at least, presents a challenge of some kind. You don't offer much, so I really don't bother responding to you with much length. You don't appear to me to be interested in ideas, actually...just in trolling and spite.

I have no time for that.
You normally adopt that attitude after making an argument that you don't wish to explain the logical basis of.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Mr Flash: I have no intention of engaging you, and avoided engaging you previously, for these reasons: you are looking for some kind of fight; you are not really interested in the topic of the destruction of European Jewry; you are ignorant of Jewish affairs in general; and your knowledge is sparse and I suspect nearly non-existent. So, avoiding engagement was then and is now a strategy to avoid you altogether.

If you want to define my stance as ‘wankerism’ that is your prerogative.

There are so many other people who will robustly engage with you on your terms here on this forum. Seek them!
Last edited by Alexis Jacobi on Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:54 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:35 pm
He does. It's true.

I have no time for that.
You normally adopt that attitude after making an argument that you don't wish to explain the logical basis of.
No, just after you chime in, though. I find that in most cases, there isn't anything in your input worth working on...just bigotry, insults, mean-spiritedness and so on. There isn't enough intellectual depth to respond to, and as for the theatrics, well, my life is about other things.
FlashDangerpants

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:10 pm Mr Flash: I have no intention of engaging you, and avoided engaging you previously, for these reasons: you are looking for some kind of fight; you are not really interested in the topic of the destruction of European Jewry; you are ignorant of Jewish affairs in general; and your knowledge is sparse and I suspect nearly non-existent. So, avoiding engagement was then and is now a strategy to avoid you altogether.

If you want to define my stance as ‘wankerism’ that is your prerogative.

There are so many other people who will robustly engage with you on your terms here on this forum. Seek them!
Or you could have answered the question without demanding a bilbiography of anyone who dares question you.

But achingly sad wriggling in order to avoid answering questions is the key skill that you and Immanuel Can share. And that was the point I was making for Seeds, so .... kinda point made really isn't it?