Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: Christianity

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:04 pmUnfortunately for that strategy, some of us can read. We know you're saying nothing. We see the lack of specifics, of definitions, of any depth of insight...and rhetoric, we have seen before.
When you refer to a *we* who specifically are you speaking of?

I regard you, in the last posts, as making outrageous, unsupportable claims. I see that as a strategy to avoid dealing with the full expressed content in my posts.

I hope that those who are 'baffled by my rhetoric' will come forward and indicate what is baffling. I'd appreciate the opportunity to clarify.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

iambiguous wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:45 pmThen the part where Jesus Christ was a Jew. And Jews don't even believe in Jesus Christ!!!
This is a devilishly complex and muddled area. It is also a dangerous one for a group of reasons.

I have recently been reading Sholem Asch's One Destiny: An Epistle to a Christian. While it is true that historical Judaism rejected the entire idea of god incarnating as a man as non-possible, Judaism in later stages (in the early 20th century) began to *sort of* extend to Jesus the possibility that he was god's messiah to the Gentiles. The book is quite interesting -- he is a good writer -- but I would regard it as a Jewish attempt to take hold of the Christian narrative; and to re-explain Christianity as Judaism. It is a very very smooth rhetorical work.

When one reads people like this -- and Sholem Asch is deeply invested in those Hebrew definitions of being a 'chosen people' and having a unique and distinct destiny (from which one cannot resign) -- I cannot at this point unsee what I have been expressing to Immanuel (and which he is incapable of entertaining for obvious reasons). The Hebrew 'construct' is a manifestation of Hebrew idea-imperialism. Does this idea require a great deal of added explanation to grasp? However, Yahweh began, and strictly so, as a tribal daemon. Only later, a good deal later, was he redescribed and re-envisioned as being the god who 'created the world'. This assertion, that a visualization, a god-form, and the specific and solitary highly grumpy entity called Yahweh created and owns the world is the fundamental error that must be punctured.

Surely those who do not believe any aspect of religious mythology necessarily have jettisoned this idea. They say, and with genuine logic and quite fairly: "This is all made up". Indeed, it really was all made up. By a priest-class who used ideas to subject a people, the Jewish people, to a form of theological servitude. As a Jew, and as a *committed Jew*, there are severe penalties for negating the role assigned to one by a priest-class. And by the god-image of that terrifying personage known as Yahweh. If you disobey that god, let me tell you, that god will empower and inspire surrounding nations (the goyim) to become the *rod* by which Yahweh maims, tortures and murders you.

If you assent to *believing in* the core tenets of the belief-system -- if you really do see yourself as having been solely chosen by the Supreme Being to conquer and rule the world (this is the core tenet of Judaism) then right there you are trapped.

So my view, which will be intensely opposed by any 'believing Jew' and also by Immanuel who, as I determined, desires to become a Jew and who identifies with Jewish destiny and wishes to become a part of that destiny, is that you have to go right to the very core of that 'belief' which is, to borrow again a useful word you've coined, a contraption.

When you read people like Sholem Asch or for example Ludwig Lewisohn's This People, what you will find is that it is within the *beliving community* that leaving that community of those who accept these tenets is made impossible. To announce 'leaving Judaism' is described as becoming a 'self-hating Jew'. To be critical of Judaism, which is to say to take any sort of stand against the construct of superiority and the god-provided right and indeed mission to dominate others at the most profound level one can imagine, this is fought against tooth and claw.

The purpose of Judaism, and the extended purpose of Christianity, has historically been based in the idea-imperialism of asserting that their god, their conception of life, their values, and indeed their sense of destiny! is contrary to the design of the god that they concoct. In whom they put words calling for death, dismemberment and destruction to become their *proper and deserved fate*. Note that Immanuel, in essence, repeats this idea-formula. You are free to believe what you believe but you will be 1) scraped out of the Book of Life and 2) sent to suffer extreme horror, for eternity, in a hell realm.

All that is needed is to see and understand the core operative element.

So as I say the *dismantling* and the *deconstruction* of these idea-sets -- in which our deal Immanuel Can has invested the totality of himself! -- must be thought through. It is in fact the moral choice. But it is highly and even intensely controversial.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

iambiguous wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:45 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:53 pmI can wait for the Judgment. Can you?
Sure. As long as the Christian God respects those who delved into His existence introspectively...with honesty, sincerity and with intellectual/spiritual courage and integrity.
If that is actually you, then I have no doubt that by that time, you will know Him. For He has promised, "You shall find me when you seek me with all your heart."

On the other hand, it is one thing to say, and quite another to do.
"He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."
So, even Muslims and Jews will burn in Hell. Even though Jesus Christ Himself was a Jew. Got it.

Ah. You can read. I'm relieved. I was starting to have my doubts. :wink:
Again, what are you even doing here on a forum derived from Philosophy Now magazine?
Philosophy. On the assigned topic.

You'll also note that I never made this topic, this thread, myself. I just know something about it. The one who made it probably hoped that somebody who knew something would speak up. I doubt that he/she was really hopeful of only garnering more snide comments from cynics...but I could be wrong.
I challenge you [or anyone] to note articles published there that speak of things like Christianity as you do here.
How many would you like?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:12 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:04 pmUnfortunately for that strategy, some of us can read. We know you're saying nothing. We see the lack of specifics, of definitions, of any depth of insight...and rhetoric, we have seen before.
"We" in that sentence, is a personal pronoun referring to the phrase,"[those who] can read."

Are you not one of them, then? :wink:
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

You know what? Cheaters never win . . .
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Closing in on 600 posts and still no agreements as to what Christianity is. People prefer to argue about God. Perhaps it is better that way since Christianity isn't ruined for those who look in and may need it. The real and essential symbol of Christianity is the Cross. It is ignored in favor of arguing about God. But for anyone concerned, ponder it for yourself. What does it mean? What does this instrument of horror offer?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Christianity is tearing us apart, Nick!

Post by Age »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:32 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:12 pm
"We" in that sentence, is a personal pronoun referring to the phrase,"[those who] can read."

Are you not one of them, then? :wink:
It is DECEIVING remarks like this here "Immanuel can", which is what makes 'you' at the VERY BOTTOM of the list.

EVERY one else in this thread has SHOWN that they are MORE 'christian-like' than 'you' are "Immanuel can".
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

HB: Do you accept - for the purposes of my argument - the definition that, with inspiration from hq, I have constructed and shared?

IC: It's far too vague to be functional in any way.

HB: Though you say you consider it to be too vague, do you otherwise consider it to be wrong?

IC: Not so far as it goes

And it goes far enough. I reopened this exchange after hq's very useful post, based on which the perfectly balanced definition of "justice" for the purposes of my argument suggested itself.

You still, though, want to play the silly "But what does it mean? Define this term. Define that term" avoidance game. Nope, that's unreasonable, and I'm not going to indulge you any further in it.

As it relates to justice, the concept of proportionality as-is - dictionary definition alone, but on which I provided a little clarification anyway - is all that is necessary for the argument's premise numbered three to succeed, and the best you've been able to do to attack the prior (Christian) premise numbered two has been to describe it as "confused": you haven't even unequivocally declared it to be false. Regardless of any "confusion" in it, it is close enough to the ballpark to succeed.

The argument as a whole, then, succeeds. I understand how difficult that is for you to accept, given how devastating it is to your fundamental beliefs. Maybe in time.
Last edited by Harry Baird on Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:17 pm e sort.
Why not show up, clearly visible to all...
He did.

They crucified Him.
Hallelujah!
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harry Baird wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:07 am IC: Not so far as it goes
And it goes far enough.
Sorry: it doesn't.

It doesn't provide for us any basis on which to form a conclusion. If we don't know what "proportional" entails, we are left unable to say when anything is "proportional." And if we don't have any two items specified, we aren't able to say whether or not there's any truth to their relationship at all.

You say God is focused on "transgressions." That is incorrect: He's no more focused on "transgressions" than a cancer doctor is focused excusively on the single tumour. Any cancer doctor worth his salt will also be asking questions about other tumours, about metastasizing, and about the origins of the singular tumour in the first place...the patient's diet, habits, smoking (or not), and so on. A good doctor will be making a holistic assessment that takes into consideration all the elements of which the tumour he has located is a manifestation. Where else, how else, and what else, cannot be forgotten.

So ""transgressions" aren't enough. We need to assess the moral condition of the patient who produced the tumour. We need to know his nature, habits, other actions, identity, lifestyle, values...and so on.

Is the right diagnostician Harry Baird? Does he have access to that information, so as to judge the "proportionality" of the quantities he's weighing?

I suggest we go with the Supreme Being's opinion. Omniscience is a definite advantage, and one which, I suspect, you do not possess.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:41 am NO one has the ABILITY to REFUTE what I SAY and CLAIM ALSO, and this is BECAUSE of WHERE this KNOWING comes from EXACTLY.
From whence arrives this KNOWING?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

iambiguous wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:04 pm Okay, we are on the same page here in regard to your bff henry. He will spend all of eternity -- billions and billions and billions of years I'm guessing -- writhing in agony in Hell if he insist on "having" the Deist God on Judgment day. Hell is not just for atheists and polytheists.
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:53 pm I don't think we are. For whereas I am content to let the Judge rule when the time comes, since He alone knows Henry's heart, you seem to want to jump to some prophetic insight that frankly, I don't think you have. And you don't think your prognostication will equally apply to you, I must note.
iambiguous wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:04 pmPlease. At Judgment Day, henry will either have the Deist God in his heart or the Christian God. The First Commandment couldn't possibly be plainer in regard to how much that matters.

Indeed, I suspect that in a parallel universe somewhere, henry is a flaming liberal in regard to abortion and guns and government. And there IC is truly adamant about his soul rotting in Hell.

Speaking of which, note from the Bible how a soul burning in Hell actually works. We die and our physical bodies [with all the nerve endings and the brain] completely decompose. Or are reconfigured into ashes. It's the soul that goes up or down. Yet in most paintings and such the folks in Hell have bodies again. Any insights into that for us?
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:53 pm I can wait for the Judgment. Can you?
Sure. As long as the Christian God respects those who delved into His existence introspectively...with honesty, sincerity and with intellectual/spiritual courage and integrity.

On the other hand, if He demands of His flocks that they be "bleating sheep", well, that worries me then.
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:53 pmIf that is actually you, then I have no doubt that by that time, you will know Him. For He has promised, "You shall find me when you seek me with all your heart."

On the other hand, it is one thing to say, and quite another to do.
Same thing. That's all you ever have.
Ever and always going back to the Word.
Ever and always defending it by going around and around in circles:

1] Jesus Christ and the Christian God exist because it says so in the New Testament
2] the New Testament is true because it is the Word of Jesus Christ and the Christian God
If I don't find Christ, it's not because He doesn't exist, it's because I really did not seek Him with all my heart. After all, you have already "proven" that He exists on YouTube. I'm the one who lacks true "introspective honesty and sincerity and integrity". Why? Because those that don't lack them find Him.

You don't even have the intellectual honesty and integrity to admit to yourself how here you just go around and around and around in your "spiritual" circles because it comforts and consoles you to. God...the mother of all psychological defense mechanisms.

Well, unless, of course, you really are able to go beyond your YouTube video "proof" that the Christian God resides in Heaven as others are able to demonstrate that Pope Francis resides in the Vatican. And no doubt will until the day he dies.
"He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

So, even Muslims and Jews will burn in Hell. Even though Jesus Christ Himself was a Jew. Got it.

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:53 pmAh. You can read. I'm relieved. I was starting to have my doubts. :wink:
Is this confirmation that along with henry, all Muslims and Jews will burn in Hell? Even though Jesus Christ was Himself a Jew.
Again, what are you even doing here on a forum derived from Philosophy Now magazine?
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:53 pmPhilosophy. On the assigned topic.
Okay, note for me articles in Philosophy Now magazine that do speak of Christianity as you do...by relying almost exclusively on The Word.

Instead, that is far more likely to be the case among Christian publications themselves, right? Although even among them there are countless squabbles regarding what the one true message of Christ/God is. You yourself make that distinction. The "true Christians" who think like you and all the "false Christians" that don't.

As for how many PN articles I'd like that, like you, also place emphasis on The Word in discussing Christianity, how about you start with the one that most encompasses this for you.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

promethean75 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:16 pm Christianity is tearing us apart, Nick!
The problem isn't Christianity but spiritual blindness supported by egoism. Years ago Nietzsche claimed God is dead. The Great beast has taken it one step further and now claims Christianity is dead replaced by Christendom. The Beast raises a toast inviting others to join in celebrating the supremacy of Christendom. Gotta hand it to Mr. Beast. Even the Devil himself has become green with envy for making people believe in absurdity. Gotta give credit wherever credit is due and Mr Great Beast deserves it. The Great Beast is victorious. Christianity is dead in society.
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:12 pm If we don't know what "proportional" entails, we are left unable to say when anything is "proportional."
Here's all we need to know about proportionality: infinitude can never be proportionate with finitude - by definition.

Game over. Case closed.

The argument succeeds. Deal with it.