Armed activists show up to library and demand they ban books

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Iwannaplato

Re: Armed activists show up to library and demand they ban books

Post by Iwannaplato »

Well, at least the left and right finally agree that censorship and canceling is better than freedom of speech. The tiny useless silver lining.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

uwot wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:26 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDWaa3NshyM
About two weeks ago I watched NBC news and the piece was about banning these 'types' of books in schools.

What really dawned on me, was that the bible was deemed to be ok for kids, ya know, a book where a man is nailed to a piece of wood, and also that the creator of all these kids just might burn you for eternity. F'ing ridiculous.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:05 amWell, at least the left and right finally agree that censorship and canceling is better than freedom of speech.
That's either a typo or a fine sense of irony. What makes this story newsworthy is that these nutjobs have guns. That they feel the need to arm themselves says a lot about their trust in god to protect them.
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:05 amThe tiny useless silver lining.
I'm an optimist, at least with regard to human nature. The fact that in the US voter suppression is dressed up as voter integrity and the breathtaking gerrymandering conducted by republicans is testament to most people not being gun toting bible bashers. The downside is that toting guns makes bible bashing a lot louder.
uwot

Post by uwot »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:13 amWhat really dawned on me, was that the bible was deemed to be ok for kids, ya know, a book where a man is nailed to a piece of wood, and also that the creator of all these kids just might burn you for eternity. F'ing ridiculous.
The thing that gets me is that the central message of christianity is that someone else will pay for your sins. That is a terrible message to give kids.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

uwot wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:40 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:13 amWhat really dawned on me, was that the bible was deemed to be ok for kids, ya know, a book where a man is nailed to a piece of wood, and also that the creator of all these kids just might burn you for eternity. F'ing ridiculous.
The thing that gets me is that the central message of christianity is that someone else will pay for your sins. That is a terrible message to give kids.
If God ceases to be regarded as all-powerful then the doctrine of Atonement can't be applicable, and Christian men can then assume the responsibility of adults.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

uwot wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:36 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:05 amWell, at least the left and right finally agree that censorship and canceling is better than freedom of speech.
That's either a typo or a fine sense of irony. What makes this story newsworthy is that these nutjobs have guns. That they feel the need to arm themselves says a lot about their trust in god to protect them.
Well, sure, guns. Destroying people economically is also pretty terrible. So, instead of the pen is mightier than the sword, we have Twitter is mightier than guns. Or, maybe it isn't, but in the end 6 of one, half a dozen of the other and.....yeah, it was irony.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Belinda wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:11 amIf God ceases to be regarded as all-powerful then the doctrine of Atonement can't be applicable, and Christian men can then assume the responsibility of adults.
I Can think of at least one person who will insist that anyone who doesn't regard god as all powerful is not a christian. Bare in mind also, that one thing we apparently need atonement for is original sin - basically being born.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:27 amWell, sure, guns.
Misuse of guns. Do you think it is appropriate to intimidate librarians because of books they don't even have in their library?
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:27 amDestroying people economically is also pretty terrible.
No doubt. What has that got to do with libraries?
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:27 amSo, instead of the pen is mightier than the sword, we have Twitter is mightier than guns. Or, maybe it isn't, but in the end 6 of one, half a dozen of the other
Not sure how you're doing the maths. Are the people using threats of violence equal to the others who don't?
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:27 amand.....yeah, it was irony.
That seems less likely in light of the above.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

The trouble with being deeply embedden in religion is that you don't have the option of being open to reason.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

uwot wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:01 pm ]Misuse of guns. Do you think it is appropriate to intimidate librarians because of books they don't even have in their library?
Nope. Not sure why I am even fielding this question.
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:27 amDestroying people economically is also pretty terrible.
No doubt. What has that got to do with libraries?
It has to do with people on 'both' sides who don't believe in freedom of speech and expression.
Not sure how you're doing the maths. Are the people using threats of violence equal to the others who don't?
Well, actually both the left and right use violence against speech, but there is also, my point, economic violence. Pen it mightier and all that....
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:27 amand.....yeah, it was irony.
That seems less likely in light of the above.
Perhaps you want me to me an enemy or something. But it was irony.

I know, I'm supposed to pick a side and hate the other side and overlook anything 'my team' does. It can be hard for many people when this isn't done. In fact, this is a related phenomenon to the disdain for and silencing of free speech. But perhaps I was not as clear as I could have been.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:15 pm I know, I'm supposed to pick a side and hate the other side and overlook anything 'my team' does. It can be hard for many people when this isn't done. In fact, this is a related phenomenon to the disdain for and silencing of free speech. But perhaps I was not as clear as I could have been.
It really is just a blue or red team over there isn't it? ..and it seems, no matter what dickhead is selected for election and how ridiculous policies develop over time, peope in the US generally stick to their team...without much thought.

The brown Americans pretty much just saved US democracy by making their vote count, in droves.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:15 pmPerhaps you want me to me an enemy or something.
I'm quite happy with the enemies I already have.
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:15 pmBut it was irony.
In which case I apologise for suggesting otherwise.
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:15 pmI know, I'm supposed to pick a side and hate the other side and overlook anything 'my team' does. It can be hard for many people when this isn't done.
It's more of a surprise than anything.
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:15 pmIn fact, this is a related phenomenon to the disdain for and silencing of free speech. But perhaps I was not as clear as I could have been.
Nah, it just takes a while to read people.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

uwot wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:30 pm I'm quite happy with the enemies I already have.
Well, you're a better person than I am. I'm tired of mine.
In which case I apologise for suggesting otherwise.
Thank you. And kudos.
It's more of a surprise than anything.
I think I get that.
Nah, it just takes a while to read people.
Sure, and words-on-a-screen is just a fraction of a person. We're made to pick up a vast array of other cues.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Harbal wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:13 pmThe trouble with being deeply embedden in religion is that you don't have the option of being open to reason.
Well, as I keep saying, people will use their reason to develop their stories. So you start with a premise - god exists, for example, add a few things on your wish list, eternal life perhaps, persecution of people whose habits you disapprove of, or it might be love and empathy for all humankind. Whatever, anyone who creates a god does so in their own image and they can give you any number of reasons why they are right.