Anyone into Biochemistry, Genomics, Genetics, Epigenetics, Molecular Biology?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Anyone into Biochemistry, Genomics, Genetics, Epigenetics, Molecular Biology?

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Currently I am taking taking a few courses simultaneously in Biochemistry, Genomics, Genetics, Epigenetics, Molecular Biology & Nutrition from MIT and other universities.

Anyone seriously into the above and want to discuss the above subjects at present?
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Anyone into Biochemistry, Genomics, Genetics, Epigenetics, Molecular Biology?

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Learned the following from genetics;

With merely one change in the DNA letters [A, T, G, C] in a specific gene of a fruit fly, it will grow legs instead of the normal antenna;

alan1000

Re: Anyone into Biochemistry, Genomics, Genetics, Epigenetics, Molecular Biology?

Post by alan1000 »

This is interesting; I've read, for example, of how transplanting genes for the human eye into an insect species - I can't remember which - resulted in the growth of an extra insect (but not human) eye. As a philosopher, the question which interests me is, to what extent is genetic engineering analogous with ordinary garage-mechanical modification? There are mechanics who can tell you which motors are compatible with which car models, or which motor modifications are compatible with which motor models; does genetic science work on this basis, though perhaps at an exponential level of complexity?
alan1000

Post by alan1000 »

Alternatively, Veritas Aequitas, you could frame a specific question in terms we could get a hold of?