A Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

mhoraine

Re: Philosophy of Mind

Post by mhoraine »

Those impelled to learn and never satisfied are justly called philosopher.

or gluttons for punishment :D Strangely enough when I looked up 'Impulsion' - it took me to a wiki article on horse racing !

' Impulsion in a horse is a releasing of energy stored by engagement...good riding is needed to create impulsion in any horse'

Hmmm, so what would 'drive' a horse in the wild - sense of freedom in nature ; fear of a predator...Nayver the wish to know like us humans, which we all have to varying degrees of need and passion. Should we be reined in and ridden hard in a race, or do we have a natural bit between our teeth ? Simple engagement.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Dreamers have a habit of rejoicing before they have discovered any means of effecting their dreams, their wishes -they would rather not tire themselves thinking about the labor they assume already they been granted.

They delight in what they mean to do when their dream has comes true wander in the region of the many and variable , in their minds are no clear pattern, and are unable as with eye of the painter look at the absolute original g perfect vision about beauty, goodness, justice in this, the painter is simply blind.

For philosophers the drive is the same like the lovers of wine are glad of any pretext of drinking any wine.there is no excuse they will not make and nothing which they will not say, in order not to lose a single nector that blooms out of plants.

The same is true of ambitious people , Socrates believed if they being lovers of ambitious and cannot command an army they are willing to command a file; but honor of some kind the ambitious person must have.

The true philosophers are lovers of knowledge, are justly termed lovers t of knowledge and never satisfie d learning .They will never intentionally receive into their mind falsehood, which is their detestation, and they will love the truth from their earliest age , as far as they can desire all truth.

Truth is the philosopher’s leader, whom they follow always and in all things. Every one here will admit a nature required of the philosopher is a rare spirit follows the same analogy like a plant having proper nurture, necessarily grows and matures into true philosophers.
mhoraine

Post by mhoraine »

Dreamers have a habit of rejoicing before they have discovered any means of effecting their dreams, their wishes -they would rather not tire themselves thinking about the labor they assume already they been granted.

They delight in what they mean to do when their dream has comes true wander in the region of the many and variable , in their minds are no clear pattern, and are unable as with eye of the painter look at the absolute original g perfect vision about beauty, goodness, justice in this, the painter is simply blind.

Why does this sound like you have no time for dreamers or painters ?
and only respect those who have a fixated eye on the 'leading' Truth, whatever you think that is ?

and here we go again, with some kind of an idea/l of a mature and true philosopher, who he/she ?

the final polished product ? I don't think so....

M
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Why not?
mhoraine

Post by mhoraine »

:D Why ?

Is it because a true philosopher is like ' Proper Tea '... much nicer than a Very Nearly Tea, which is one you forget about afterwards. ~A.A. Milne

Would you describe yourself as a mature and true philosopher, and what makes you think so ?

Is the best philosopher, the one drunk first thing in the morning ?

and why did you not answer my other questions ? were they 'weeds' in your eyes ?
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

LOL "Is the best philosopher, the one drunk first thing in the morning ?" ABSOLUTELY. That is exactly what I do, the earlier the better, I make my tea proper and study before my daily chores are to be done. How can I persuade you my ideas are not mere ideal ?
mhoraine

Post by mhoraine »

How can I persuade you my ideas are not mere ideal ?

Ah - ' Persuasion' - I like a good story.

It is not the quality of your ideas I need to be persuaded of, if I need persuading...
What does your 'mere ideal' mean here anyway ?

It is the substance - your ideas of the ideal - eg of a 'true' philosopher.

I find it difficult to distinguish 'your' words from those of others. There has been much repetition of phrases - that to me is not persuasive, or inspiring, it is a form of brainwashing.

I see you are writing a book proposal. I wish you well. What do you hope to gain ? Persuasion ?
Is it your answer to your question posed : ' How can philosophy inspire society today ? ' ( Sat Oct 2nd )

A smile is a good start :)
The human touch. True simplicity. Begin. Tell. Finish.

KISS

M.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Is a biographical novel about what happens when narrator the of the story is not prepared for the tough life ahead of her The story begins when she is twenty one year old. She a black woman in 1964 marries white man. This at a time 41 states in the United States banned any interracial marriage and in some states there was jail time for all all concern, including the licensing clerk and the minister or judge.

Crossing the color line she has embarked a knowledge deep that shows meaning in each story In mixed marriages discrimination is applied to both black and white, there is penalty for both, they both fall under the censure of society.
The novel begins 1963 and goes on to present. I have divided them into five chapters. Each chapter marks a change of her development into a philosopher.

When I crossed the color line I became a philosopher that is what the my book proposal is about.

Kisses to you too, .
BB
mhoraine

Post by mhoraine »

Barbara

Apologies for the K.I.S.S. - it was Keep It Simple and Short :oops:

So much for my assumptions of the type of book you are writing....
Either way, I blush at my arrogance.

I look forward to reading your story.

All the best
M.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

M,
Thank you.
Now you ask the question how can philosophy help society today? Philosophy belongs to its own time, and reigns for a certain time, the Cartesian, for example. But we cannot expect to find the same today in the past only; a deep conception reigned in earlier. There are generations of philosophers the same as there are generations of plants and anything that there is a generation has an opposition generated out of opposition.

Today nothing is honorable any more than dishonorable, or just and good any more than the opposite unjust and bad.
But we get older no longer are we guilty of such extreme, we seek truth, not extreme contradictions for the sake of amusement; arguing for amusement, contradicting and refuting others, in the pursuit of philosophy our character increase .

BB
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Words depend on the temper of mind; and happiness depends upon the temper of mind which leads to order and reason.

Philosophers must everywhere be eager to make good known and know the essential forms of temperance, courage, freedom and magnificence. The harmonized beautiful mind will be the fairest of sights also the loveliest will be most loved by the loveliest.
mhoraine

Post by mhoraine »

Barbara

Another day....

I have to go out soon. I need to talk with you more later.
However, my first thought this morning was your strategy in all of these posts.

Type, type, typing - perhaps reinforcing the idea that dialogue is required. ' Language is an art, not words thrown down anyhow, not words that come to mind as mere opinion and having no reason in them....by using the right application of words [ conviction is implanted ].

I see parallels with another thread on Religion. Perhaps a title for your thread could have been ' Building Philosophy from the Ground Up ' ?

At times the writing could have been mistaken for the churnings of a computer, with no real interaction or meaning. And then your voice comes in - just a little to keep people wondering....

Very, very clever. Unless I am mistaken. Which, of course, is highly improbable :)

M
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

M,

I wait to hear from you.

BB
mhoraine

Post by mhoraine »

I wait to hear from you.

I bet you wait with baited breath !

OK, some running thoughts....

About your development into a philosopher ( at the end of Chapter 5 ? ) ; and the point where you 'crossed the colour lone '...and became a philosopher ( ? Ch 1, 1963/4 ).

Perhaps this illustrates well philosophy as a process, the difficulties of defining what a 'philosopher' is, and people's perceptions of philosophy.

It can get so abstract that it turns people off - they prefer commonsense, practical logic or wisdom. There is a sense that people already know what is right and wrong.
However, the minds or brains of individuals, and countries develop in different ways, at different times. This is where conflict enters the scene. Or extremism.

In a way, the either/or scenario suggests mutually exclusive domains. With us, or against us. Cowboys and Indians.
I guess sometimes even 'balanced' philosophers need to use the tool of extremism to counteract the 'other' ? A kind of negotiation technique ?

Just as language develops in an individual, so might philosophy. I tend not to think of it in terms of maturity but accomplishment. What matters to me, is not so much the fight between either/or - although I can see the need for it - but the quale tea. Of life and the best use of brain, time and energy.

Philosophy not as either an objective end-point or a subjective evolutionary process - but both ?

And I am still not sure that what I have said is true ?!

But thanks for the prod.
Continuing to edit....

M
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

M,

This is extremely helpful, I thank you royally. I love chapter one titled "Crossing the Color Line " has a real "hook" to it. Everything you wrote was astute and enlightening for me.

BB