Hell

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobmax

Hell

Post by bobmax »

Currently, the Catholic Church has also questioned the existence of hell.
That it might not exist and even if it did it would be empty.

But the idea that hell is a place in the afterlife is wrong.

Because hell exists and is available here and now.

I can access it at any time. Hell is a place of the soul.

The search for Truth almost inevitably involves going to hell.

It is me and I alone who condemn myself to hell. For the simple reason that it is right.

However, as Marguerite Porete observed, there are only two places where man is safe.
One is Heaven, the other is Hell.

Re: Hell

Post by Age »

bobmax wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:27 pm Currently, the Catholic Church has also questioned the existence of hell.
That it might not exist and even if it did it would be empty.

But the idea that hell is a place in the afterlife is wrong.
But just like heaven and hell are HERE, so to is the 'afterlife' HERE. So, 'hell', and/or 'heaven' can exist HERE, the 'afterlife' AS WELL.

Have you been under some sort of ASSUMPTION that there is some other place, other than HERE?

By the way, what the words 'heaven', 'hell', and 'afterlife' ACTUALLY mean, or refer to, within One unambiguous, irreftuable Fact are VERY DIFFERENT to what they mean, or refer to, to 'you', adult human beings, in the days when this was being written.

Also, it appears that a lot of 'you', adults, were NOT ABLE TO 'think' for "yourselves", that was until the 'religious' of 'you' STARTED to QUESTION your OWN made up stories.

By the way, the "catholic church" does NOT question absolutely ANY thing. ONLY 'you', human beings, question things.
bobmax wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:27 pm Because hell exists and is available here and now.

I can access it at any time. Hell is a place of the soul.

The search for Truth almost inevitably involves going to hell.

It is me and I alone who condemn myself to hell. For the simple reason that it is right.

However, as Marguerite Porete observed, there are only two places where man is safe.
One is Heaven, the other is Hell.
Where else is there?
bobmax

Post by bobmax »

Age wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:55 am Where else is there?
Where we usually are: lost

Post by Age »

bobmax wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:33 am
If 'you' are, usually, LOST, then so be it.

But NOT ALL of 'us' are LOST, HERE.
bobmax

Post by bobmax »

Age wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:37 am

You're right, I don't know if the others are lost or not.
It may be that someone is not.

But I suppose only for brief moments it may not be lost.
At least from what I observe.

Post by Age »

bobmax wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:46 am

You're right, I don't know if the others are lost or not.
It may be that someone is not.

But I suppose only for brief moments it may not be lost.
At least from what I observe.
Have you observed EVERY one?
Walker

Post by Walker »

- Why are we told through entertainment that hell is for heroes? Sometimes we're told over and over, and over again.
In the eighties we were told over and over that hell is for children. (google music and film for examples).

- Are heroes martyrs?

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:47 am

- Why are we told through entertainment that hell is for heroes?
Who, EXACTLY, is telling you that? I can NOT recall, at the moment anyway, anywhere where I have been told that hell is for heroes. Will you name some examples?

And remember, through entertainment, that you are being told that "santa claus" and the "tooth fairy" are REAL and exist also. Do you know why you are told those obviously False things.
Walker wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:47 am Sometimes we're told over and over, and over again.
Okay, just like the "easter bunny" is coming is also told to you over and over, again and again, correct?
Walker wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:47 am In the eighties we were told over and over that hell is for children. (google music and film for examples).
Okay.
Walker wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:47 am - Are heroes martyrs?
I would say that it could be said that SOME so-called "heroes" are 'martyrs', and, SOME so-called "martyrs" could be said to be 'heroes'. But that ALL "heroes" are 'martyrs' I would say would be in doubt. Until you provide more details I am NOT informed enough and so NOT in a position to answer your clarifying question here properly and accurately.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:22 pm
I would say that it could be said that SOME so-called "heroes" are 'martyrs', and, SOME so-called "martyrs" could be said to be 'heroes'. But that ALL "heroes" are 'martyrs' I would say would be in doubt. Until you provide more details I am NOT informed enough and so NOT in a position to answer your clarifying question here properly and accurately.
Seeing as how a little bird quietly whispered that principles are the milieu of philosophy, certainly there must be a single, absolute principle that all heroes and martyrs have in common, and not just some of them. Heroes are willing to die for a cause, for an ideology. So are martyrs. Therefore, are they not the same?

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:10 am
Age wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:22 pm
Seeing as how a little bird quietly whispered that principles are the milieu of philosophy, certainly there must be a single, absolute principle that all heroes and martyrs have in common, and not just some of them.
I do not know ANY thing about this. But, there is One, absolute, 'principle', or 'lore', in Life, which if EVERY one had already followed and was still following, then the 'world' would be a much more peaceful, harmonious, and thus 'better place' to live in, than it is 'now', when this is being written.
Walker wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:10 am Heroes are willing to die for a cause, for an ideology. So are martyrs. Therefore, are they not the same?
To run into a burning building, or to jump into shark infested waters, to save a child, it could be said is heroic. So, the ones that did these things could be classed as 'heroes', but they would not be classed as a 'martyr', right?

Either way, until the words 'heroes', 'martyrs', 'cause', and 'ideology' are pre-defined, and agreed upon, whether so-called 'heroes' and 'martyrs' are the EXACT same, we will have to WAIT, to SEE.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Well, you may have a point there. The martyr will die for an idea. The hero will die for another’s life. Therefore, the commonality shared by the hero of your example, and the martyr, is the capacity verging on eagerness to sacrifice personal welfare.

But, and this is a big but, preserving identity is the end of the line for both. That is the commonality.

Both the hero and martyr who also self-sacrifice their own life, or put themselves into that inevitable position, have the identity of dying for a greater good, be that greater good an idea, or another’s life.

However if either the hero or the martyr leaves a family destitute, is that a greater good or is it the final selfishness of an ego that will do anything, even die, to stay consistent with its self-concept?

Take the fella who both calls the fire department and then trips the fleeing arsonist as he runs past, but who refuses to run into the burning building because he knows his limitations. Is he also a hero because he brought more real help than the martyr who believes that kamakazi pilots were brave heroes?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Hell is other people - Sartre

-Imp
Walker

Post by Walker »

Doubling down on stupid is triggered when Hell’s bells sound like Heaven's gate.

Hell's bells? The Phrase Finder says that bells was added just for the rhyme. Sure. What are they hiding?