negative self-reinforcement

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

negative self-reinforcement

Post by Advocate »

Don't tell yourself "Don't do that!" Tell yourself "I don't want to be the kind of person who does that."
MagsJ

Re: negative self-reinforcement

Post by MagsJ »

Advocate wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:57 am Don't tell yourself "Don't do that!" Tell yourself "I don't want to be the kind of person who does that."
That is a better method to implement positive change, in self and others.. and probably more sustainable longer-term, too.

Positive reinforcement.. it’s been my preferred method for a while now, when I realised the error in my negative ways.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Makes sense.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=MagsJ post_id=568142 time=1650011270 user_id=9496]
[quote=Advocate post_id=568129 time=1650002271 user_id=15238]
Don't tell yourself "Don't do that!" Tell yourself "I don't want to be the kind of person who does that."
[/quote]
That is a better method to implement positive change, in self and others.. and probably more sustainable longer-term, too.

Positive reinforcement.. it’s been my preferred method for a while now, when I realised the error in my negative ways.
[/quote]

I believe recent research has shown more or less conclusively that avoiding bad works better than seeking good.

My idea here was to focus on a more fundamental aspect than either negative or positive consequences - who you believe you "really" are.

And as long as we keep dedicating ourselves to the good of Future Us, things automagically keep getting better.
MagsJ

Post by MagsJ »

Advocate wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:26 pm I believe recent research has shown more or less conclusively that avoiding bad works better than seeking good.

My idea here was to focus on a more fundamental aspect than either negative or positive consequences - who you believe you "really" are.

And as long as we keep dedicating ourselves to the good of Future Us, things automagically keep getting better.
Automagically? :D lol

I have found that adopting a motivational narrative of thoughts and feels, is also beneficial for Self.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=MagsJ post_id=575317 time=1653878412 user_id=9496]
a motivational narrative of thoughts and feels
[/quote]

Will you expand on that?