The Simple Science (and Logic) of Covid

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: The Simple Science (and Logic) of Covid

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:06 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:08 am
Novak Djokovic is the current dead cat story, covering up real news stories.
Do you have any juicy real stories to share with us Sculptor?

Serious question by the way, I'm genuinely interested in what you may have in mind.
At this moment there is a benefit cap being voted on that will increase poverty that is not on the news.
NHS is being sold off.
The supply teacher crisis in schools is being ignored.

At the moment the TOry party lockdown parties is the recurrent "dead cat" where the TOry establishment who are dropping Boris are pretending to care about his pandemic rule breaking.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:04 pm
Walker wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:27 am 1. Is the news story made real because of the news source, or because of the facts?

2. Is the following quote a fact?

“We know the two-dose vaccine offers very limited protection, if any. The three doses with a booster, offers reasonable protection against hospitalization and death.”
- Albert Bourla, CEO of Pfizer

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/bl ... alization/
Meanwhile,energy firm advices cuddle your cat and do star jumps to keep warm if you cannot afford to heat your house amid £2000 price hike to energy bills. Also make sure you work from home to ensure good social distancing which will mean you will need to have your heating on all day that you may not be able to afford now. But do not worry about the possiblity of dying from hypothermia as long as you have had your triple jab you will stay alive. Ok thanks, that makes perfect sense. your welcome.
Cuddly your pet is another empty news event.
Eating porrige is good advice too. The real story is the hopeless impotence of the government to control fuels costs and their woeful and ideological hatred of Putin which is part of the story in the ramping up of prices of gas.
Meanwhile all energy prices are automatically following this hike and lots of establishment cronies are going to make a packet.
So why blame the people in charge when you can blame a powerless Power company giving friendly advice?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:17 pm Fucking masks are just a nuisence. They don't work!!
Look at these idiots.Capture.JPG
If you are in a room where there is a maskless person spreading viruses, you are going to breath in those viruses.
Masks catch most of them, not all but most.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/im ... orne-virus.
Last edited by Sculptor on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:14 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:04 pm
Walker wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:27 am 1. Is the news story made real because of the news source, or because of the facts?

2. Is the following quote a fact?

“We know the two-dose vaccine offers very limited protection, if any. The three doses with a booster, offers reasonable protection against hospitalization and death.”
- Albert Bourla, CEO of Pfizer

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/bl ... alization/
Meanwhile,energy firm advices cuddle your cat and do star jumps to keep warm if you cannot afford to heat your house amid £2000 price hike to energy bills. Also make sure you work from home to ensure good social distancing which will mean you will need to have your heating on all day that you may not be able to afford now. But do not worry about the possiblity of dying from hypothermia as long as you have had your triple jab you will stay alive. Ok thanks, that makes perfect sense. your welcome.
Cuddly your pet is another empty news event.
Eating porrige is good advice too. The real story is the hopeless impotence of the government to control fuels costs and their woeful and ideological hatred of Putin which is part of the story in the ramping up of prices of gas.
Meanwhile all energy prices are automatically following this hike and lots of establishment cronies are going to make a packet.
So why blame the people in charge when you can blame a powerless Power company giving friendly advice?
I’m not sure about who’s to blame for sudden huge hike in energy costs but to me it’s a more life threatening issue than say the covid crisis is. . IDK to me it would make more sense to keep energy costs low to ensure people are not freezing to death. It’s like why care about saving lives with vaccines if those same people are struggling to warm their houses. I’m not anti-Vaccine either, I just think it would be nice to give people a proper living wage that can match the cost of living without having to scrimp and scrape and worry where their next penny is going to come from.

I agree that here in the west there seems to be a hatred of Putin, but not sure why, although I think it’s got something to do with him not wanting some of the bordering countries with Russia to join the NATO alliance, or become westernised…not sure.

Maybe that’s for another thread starter.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:10 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:08 am
Novak Djokovic is the current dead cat story, covering up real news stories.

Serious question by the way, I'm genuinely interested in what you may have in mind.
At this moment there is a benefit cap being voted on that will increase poverty that is not on the news.
NHS is being sold off.

At the moment the TOry party lockdown parties is the recurrent "dead cat" where the TOry establishment who are dropping Boris are pretending to care about his pandemic rule breaking.
Sounds about how our government is still promising to build back better by making things worse, no surprises there.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Common viruses like the cold are spread mostly via the hands. A mask isn't going to help you if you are in a room with someone with covid, unless you don't touch anything, and sanitise or wash your hands before touching your mask again (without touching the sanitiser pump or tap (good luck with your elbow) ) and immediately disinfect and wash it, or discard it (on the street, judging by the mess those things are creating).
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:16 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:10 pm

NHS is being sold off.

Sounds about how our government is still promising to build back better by making things worse, no surprises there.
Governments are the moment be they led by Trump or BIden are basically the same. No one knows where "build back better" comes from but they are all spewing that lie. I think it was a phrase stolen from the 2006 Tsunami.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

this...
24D7B0C2-7E81-468E-98F3-67EA8B2CAB05.jpeg
24D7B0C2-7E81-468E-98F3-67EA8B2CAB05.jpeg (48.26 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
...will stop a virus in the same way this...
311ED08D-87A7-44A8-AE71-A67249BA0B9E.jpeg
311ED08D-87A7-44A8-AE71-A67249BA0B9E.jpeg (108.75 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
...will stop mosquitoes and this...
E87B6157-B878-483C-9D25-B76F5A5A781F.jpeg
E87B6157-B878-483C-9D25-B76F5A5A781F.jpeg (85.13 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
...will hold sand

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:58 am this...
...will hold sand
OF COURSE a mask will NOT stop a virus, but it WILL HELP in stopping a virus transmitting, and MUCH MORE so than a chain wire fence will with mosquitoes and a shopping trolley will with sand.

So, if you want to LOOK AT and SEE thee ACTUAL Truth of 'things', then one, at least, HAS TO express what is ACTUALLY True, FIRST.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

it WILL HELP in stopping a virus transmitting

unless the mask is form-fittin' and flitered, the most it'll do is redirect the virus up and back

if you want to LOOK AT and SEE thee ACTUAL Truth of 'things'

a test: ask a friend who smokes or vapes to take a drag, slip the mask on, then exhale normally

multiple plumes of smoke or vape will stream from his mask

another test: wear a mask, break wind

you'll smell your own flatulence

again: a form-fittin', filtered mask is effective; the kind most folks wear (like the one in the pic I posted above) are for show

but, really, if you wanna wear a mask, age, please do: it's absolutely no skin offa my nose

I won't

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:32 pm age,

So, if someone had a disease, which they KNEW could kill "others" by just normal breathing, then you would have NO issue AT ALL with that one not staying at home, walking in a store, for example, without a mask on, next to you and/or your family members, breathing on you or next to your family, and then either you or your family members getting sick and/or dying, correct?

if I'm a'fear'd of beer virus, or any other transmissible, then I ought keep my keister home, or adopt whatever personal practices I believe will protect me
LOOK AT just how QUICKLY what I have ACTUALLY SAID can be, and actually has, been TURNED AROUND here. Here we have ANOTHER GREAT EXAMPLE at ATTEMPTING to DEFLECT.

1. I do NOT KNOW of ANY so-called "beer virus". So, I have NO IDEA what a "beer virus" IS NOR how it relates to thee ACTUAL CLARIFYING question I have asked you here.

2. Do you have ANY concerns or issues AT ALL with human beings, who KNOWINGLY have a disease, which could kill you or family, and those human beings then just walking around next to you, and/or your family, and passing that disease on to you, or your family?

3. Are you going to STAY HOME FOREVER just in case some one else has a disease, which they could pass onto you or your family?

4. Or, do you REALLY have NO issue, NOR concern, AT ALL if ANY one just passes on a DEADLY DISEASE to you or family, because you BELIEVE those human beings have a Right to walk around and do absolutely NOTHING AT ALL to help in preventing diseases, which can KILL you?

Your ACTUAL Truthful CLARIFICATION here would be very much appreciated.

Your CONTINUAL DEFLECTIONS are just becoming TO OBVIOUS.
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:32 pm it's dumb and -- to my mind -- immoral to demand everyone else protect me from gettin' sick
But NO one, here anyway, is DEMANDING ANY one "else" to protect 'you', "henry quirk", from getting sick AT ALL.

If fact, at times people here WISH 'you' were DEAD.

So, bringing up this DISTORTED THINKING was COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY. And, as can be CLEARLY SEEN, it is ONLY another ATTEMPT at DEFLECTION from answering Honestly the ACTUAL question I posed to you. Which was;

If someone had a disease, which they KNEW could kill "others", by just normal breathing, then you would have NO issue AT ALL with that one not staying at home, or walking in a store, for example, without a mask on, next to you and/or your family members, breathing on or next to you or your family, and then either you or your family members getting sick and/or dying, correct?

In other words is it perfectly all right with you that people are ALLOWED to do, if they so WISH TO?
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:32 pm and: if you're a'fear'd I might be a hot spot for a transmissable, stay the hell away from me...if I'm too close to you, open your pie hole and tell me to back off, bub
AGAIN, DEFLECTION.

Do you have ANY ISSUE AT ALL if someone, who has a transmissible disease, which may kill you, or your family, walking around unmasked beside you?

What can be CLEARLY SEEN here is just how VERY SIMPLE and VERY EASY this question could be and IS to answer.

Just obtaining Truthful straightforward answers, however, can be an IMPOSSIBILITY. As can be CLEARLY SEEN throughout this thread, and forum.
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:32 pm it's dumb and -- to my mind -- immoral that you should demand I protect you from gettin' sick
AGAIN, absolutely NO one, here, is demanding ANY thing from you.

To some, it is EXTREMELY DUMB and STUPID to ALLOW human beings, with DEADLY transmissible diseases, to just WALK AROUND FREELY and NOT do absolutely ANY thing to HELP PROTECT human beings from DYING. ONCE AGAIN, A 'mask' HELPS in this regard.

And, WE are STILL WAITING to SEE if you have ANY issues or concerns regarding those with DEADLY transmissible diseases being ALLOWED to FREELY pass on those DISEASES to you or to your family members.
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:32 pm So much for "others" life, liberty, and property FREEDOMS 'you' go on about, when 'you' CLEARLY HAVE this NOT CARING for ANY one "else" ATTITUDE "henry quirk".

you have no right to my compassion, age...what you have, all you have, is a right to your life, liberty, and property...if these are threatened, defend them
BUT HOW can ANY one defend those so-called "rights" when, if by law, and which you are DEMANDING here, 'you', "henry quirk", are ALLOWED to walk about FREELY and PASS ON your, knowing, DEADLY DISEASES, to "others"?

Explain WHAT I or ANY one else COULD DO?

You STILL seem to have absolutely NO IDEA NOR CLUE as to just how CONTRADICTORY your CLAIMS and WISHES are here.
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:32 pm but, henry, the possibility of you infectin' me with beer virus is a threat!

no, it's not...that's paranoia
OF COURSE that is PARANOIA. There is NO such 'thing' as a "beer virus". And, as far as I am AWARE NO one "else", in this forum anyway, KNOWS of ANY such thing as "beer virus".

REALLY, do you NEED to be TOLD of what is ACTUALLY True and Right?

And, if you under some sort of BELIEF that if you possess the virus known as the 'corona virus', or the one known as 'covid-19', and that it is a completely and utter POSSIBILITY for 'you' to infect "others" with this virus is NOT a 'threat', then 'what', EXACTLY, does the word 'threat' mean or refer to here, EXACTLY?
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:32 pm if you believe I made you sick then take me to court, prove your case, win a settlement
A bit HARD if i DIED from that SICKNESS, which you HAD PASSED ON to me.
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:32 pm demandin', based solely on possibility, that I must mask, must lock down, must accept the jab is akin to guilty till proven innocent
BUT I have NEVER 'demanded' ANY thing here. I just ASKED you a VERY SIMPLE, STRAIGHTFORWARD CLARIFYING QUESTION, which are CONTINUALLY 'trying to' WEASEL OUT OF answering.

Maybe if you STOPPED ASSUMING I was SAYING or MEANING some 'thing', which I am NOT, then you MIGHT get around to just ANSWERING thee ACTUAL QUESTION, posed to YOU.

and: where does it stop?

Let us NOT FORGET that it is 'you', here, "henry quirk", who is the one DEMANDING that you be ALLOWED to walk around absolutely FREELY, without having to do absolutely ANY thing help in PROTECTING you from KILLING "others" with that DEADLY DISEASE you HAVE.
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:32 pm can I demand all drivers refrain from bein' on the roads when I am cuz of the possibility one of them might crash into me?
You are FREE to DEMAND absolutely ANY thing, but if you get your DEMANDS or NOT is another thing.

Like, for example, you can DEMAND you be ALLOWED to absolutely FREELY walk around with a deadly disease any way you WANT TO, just like you can DEMAND you be ALLOWED to absolutely FREE 'drive around' as drunk as you like and in any way you WANT TO, because you CLAIM your right to your life, liberty, and property is to be Respected, by EVERY one "else", correct?

But let me forewarn you you probably will NOT GET what you DEMAND here. For BLATANTLY OBVIOUS REASONS.

Also, you STILL can NOT YET seem to FATHOM that by you DEMANDING your "Rights" to FREEDOM, which could or would CAUSE the LOSS of life or freedom to "others", is just OBVIOUSLY, and LITERALLY, a 'self-contradiction' at best, and absolutely FOOLISHNESS and STUPIDITY, at worst.

Also, your ONE WAY LOOKING AT 'this' is NOT helping you at all REALLY.
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:32 pm can I demand McDonald's shut down the fryer when I'm in-restaurant cuz mebbe, somehow, I might get burned?
As I have SAID you are absolutely FREE to DEMAND absolutely ANY thing you LIKE, but if you GET YOUR DEMANDS met or not is another thing.

Can the rest of the public, or humanity, DEMAND that "henry quirk" NOT be ALLOWED to walk around FREELY carrying a shotgun, because just maybe somehow "henry quirk" will SHOOT US DEAD, especially when "henry quirk" HOLDS DISTORTED BELIEFS that "henry quirk" CAN and WILL SHOOT US DEAD if we just 'touch' ANY of what "henry quirk" BELIEVES is "henry quirks" property. Like, for example, "henry quirk" might BELIEVE that the sidewalk outside "henry quirk's" house is "henry quirk's" property and if ANY one of US walks on or just touches "henry quirk's" property, then "henry quirk" COULD SHOOT US DEAD.

SEE, in "henry quirk's" 'world' "henry quirk's" 'Right" to "henry quirk's" PERCEIVED "property" OVERRIDES absolutely ANY 'Right' AT ALL to ANY human being's Right to their OWN 'life'.

Which, by the way, "henry quirk", after all this time, STILL has NOT YET been able to COMPREHEND and SEE.
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:32 pm can I demand that obese folks stay home when I'm out & about cuz of the possibility one if then will stroke out in my presence and shock me?
AGAIN, you are are FREE to DEMAND absolutely ANY thing you LIKE. BUT, depending on just how STUPID and FOOLISH the DEMAND is, WILL influence if YOUR DEMANDS are met or not.

The reason 'you', human beings, are ASKED TO, and even ENFORCED TO, wear a mask, to HELP in PREVENTING a DEADLY DISEASE from being transmitted among 'you' is BECAUSE that DEMAND, or REQUEST, is NOT FOOLISH, NOR STUPID, AT ALL.

Whereas, the DEMANDS you ASKED FOR ABOVE are OBVIOUSLY STUPID and FOOLISH.

Now, UNTIL you CLARIFY that you would have NO issues AT ALL, or if you would have issues, if someone with a DEADLY DISEASE was ALLOWED absolutely FREELY to breath on you or your family member, then we can NOT LOOK FURTHER INTO whether 'demanding' people to do some thing is UNREASONABLE or REASONABLE.

Your CONTINUAL attempts at DEFLECTION does NOT STOP US from KNOWING what thee ACTUAL Truth IS here. Your DEFLECTIONARY TACTICS ONLY helps in SLOWLY the process of what thee Truth IS here from COMING TO LIGHT here.

Post by Age »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:58 pm

So, if someone had a disease, which they KNEW could kill "others" by just normal breathing, then you would have NO issue AT ALL with that one not staying at home, walking in a store, for example, without a mask on, next to you and/or your family members, breathing on or next to them, and then either you or your family members getting sick and/or dying, correct?
That only works if 1. They know they might spread the disease, 2 They give a shit that they might spread a disase, 3. They even beleive that Covid is real and not a massive lie on behaelf of the gummint.
Sadly even people who give a damn and accept that covid is a danger can't tell, day to day, if they can spread the disease.
And also sadly there are plenty of clowns that don't beleive it is real and others that don't give a shit about themselves or others
Very True. But I was NOT talking about ANY one doing this or doing ANY thing.

I was just asking "henry quirk" if it had ANY issues AT ALL if ANY one who KNEW they a disease, which they also KNEW could kill "henry quirk" or "henry quirk's" family, was ALLOWED to FREELY pass that disease onto "henry quirk" or its family?

I am STILL WAITING for "henry quirk" to provide AN answer to THIS question.

I am NOT and have NOT BEEN suggesting ANY one DOING, NOR NOT DOING, ANY thing AT ALL. I am just CURIOS as to "henry quirk's" views here.

I have just been asking "henry quirk" a CLARIFYING QUESTION here in how it would think in regards to what "another" was ALLOWED to.

if I'm a'fear'd of beer virus, or any other transmissible, then I ought keep my keister home, or adopt whatever personal practices I believe will protect me.
True for you.

it's dumb and -- to my mind -- immoral to demand everyone else protect me from gettin' sick .
True if everyone was like you. But maybe you should use your imagination?
If a person negligently gets seriously ill, why should they be able to get help from the overstressed and over stretched health system?
Surely they should be allowed to die and not take a bed in hospital that could be used for someone who has had their shots and taken precautions??

and: if you're a'fear'd I might be a hot spot for a transmissable, stay the hell away from me...if I'm too close to you, open your pie hole and tell me to back off, bub
FIne, but you know damn well there are plenty of people that aint gonna do that.
it's dumb and -- to my mind -- immoral that you should demand I protect you from gettin' sick
Not really.
Rules are made for everyone, not just you. There are other people on earth besides yourself.

So much for "others" life, liberty, and property FREEDOMS 'you' go on about, when 'you' CLEARLY HAVE this NOT CARING for ANY one "else" ATTITUDE "henry quirk".
Gibberish.

you have no right to my compassion, age...what you have, all you have, is a right to your life, liberty, and property...if these are threatened, defend them.
No you can fuck off. But don't come into my shop spreading your shitty germs.
Because I have a right to protect myslef from you.
And the government has the right to protect society against people who don't give a shit and are spreading a fatal disease.
You can see the exact moment Herny separated his brain from his sense of reason....

can I demand that obese folks stay home when I'm out & about cuz of the possibility one if then will stroke out in my presence and shock me?
... to a state of pure stupidity.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Age wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:19 am
I'm sure there's all kind of interestin' questions and comments in this post, but I'll never know cuz I'm not readin' it, age.

As I say: your longer posts are headache-causin'.

Shorten it, or break it up into smaller -- less brain-destroyin' -- posts.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Age wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:05 am

So, if someone had a disease, which they KNEW could kill "others" by just normal breathing, then you would have NO issue AT ALL with that one not staying at home, walking in a store, for example, without a mask on, next to you and/or your family members, breathing on or next to them, and then either you or your family members getting sick and/or dying, correct?
That only works if 1. They know they might spread the disease, 2 They give a shit that they might spread a disase, 3. They even beleive that Covid is real and not a massive lie on behaelf of the gummint.
Sadly even people who give a damn and accept that covid is a danger can't tell, day to day, if they can spread the disease.
And also sadly there are plenty of clowns that don't beleive it is real and others that don't give a shit about themselves or others
Very True. But I was NOT talking about ANY one doing this or doing ANY thing.
Well Dah.
My comments were not directed at you but at Henry.
He's chosen to ignore than in the same way he ignores his duty to the USA.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:58 am this...
...will hold sand
BOLLOCKS.