The Affects of Climate Change

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

The Affects of Climate Change

Post by attofishpi »

Projections of increase in average temperatures in the future must effect the Earth's crust - to expand, hence increased tectonic activity thus more earthquake and volcano activity.

Also, does an increase in the level of CO2 in the atmosphere prevent water droplets to form, thus more drought?

Then there is effects on thermohaline circulation on deep water masses in the North Atlantic that apparently (from a doco or article I read years ago) that will slow, and the North Atlantic will become much cooler, and start conditions to flip us into an ice age.

I really haven't the time to do more research into all that, but perhaps others have some perspectives to offer.
Last edited by attofishpi on Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Re: The effects of Climate Change

Post by Age »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:27 am Projections of increase in average temperatures in the future must effect the Earth's crust - to expand, hence increased tectonic activity thus more earthquake and volcano activity.

Also, does an increase in the level of CO2 in the atmosphere prevent water droplets to form, thus more drought?

Then there is effects on thermohaline circulation on deep water masses in the North Atlantic that apparently (from a doco or article I read years ago) that will slow, and the North Atlantic will become much cooler, and start conditions to flip us into an ice age.

I really haven't the time to do more research into all that, but perhaps others have some perspectives to offer.
If the temperature of earth is warming, or cooling, is of no real significance compared to what really matters, which is the ever increasing pollution, caused by human beings.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Age wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:41 am If the temperature of earth is warming, or cooling, is of no real significance compared to what really matters, which is the ever increasing pollution, caused by human beings.
(this has been in my mind ever since you posted..do i, do i?)

I fear not a can of worms, but unleashing a sack of snakes.
Jori

Re: The affects of Climate Change

Post by Jori »

Scientists agree that the earth is warming but they disagree on the effect of the warming. Some say it's bad; some say it's actually good like what happened during the Medieval Climactic Optimum or Medieval Warm Period. I don't know which is correct, but I believe that moderation in consumption and simplicity are good regardless of global warming and its effects.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:27 am Projections of increase in average temperatures in the future must effect the Earth's crust - to expand, hence increased tectonic activity thus more earthquake and volcano activity.

Hmm. Well we certainly get far more earthquakes here than there ever used to be. In fact, there was one about half an hour ago. Quite big too. It rumbled for a while. You are lucky in Oz that you miss that main fault line. Earthquakes were very unusual when I was a child. Heard a lot about 'the big one' that was supposed to be coming but other than that, nothing really. Now we have them regularly--many per year where I live-- and thats only counting the bigger ones.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:15 pm Well we certainly get far more earthquakes here than there ever used to be.
Global warming causes earthquakes?

Is There Anything Environmentalists Won't Blame On Climate Change?
Pick a topic and add "climate change" to it in a Google search and you're likely to find some article or study suggesting a connection between the two.

This week, CNN ran another blame-climate-change-first story. This one claimed that the rate of animal bits "has increased over the past 10 years, according to Dr. Joseph Forrester, one of the authors of the study published Tuesday in the BMJ. He anticipates that it will continue to rise, partially because of climate change."

Time magazine blamed mental health problems on climate change. "Trauma, post-traumatic stress disorder and depression all rank among the ailments linked to climate change," the story said

Another story argued that global warming was connected to sexual violence.

EcoWatch warned pet owners that climate change was probably the reason their dogs have fleas because "climate change is creating an ideal habitat for pests."

The Denver Post claimed that climate change was partly responsible for the decline in fertility rates.

Another article claimed a few years ago that "various skin disorders such as acne scars are the result of global warming and climate change."

One website had collected examples of just about everything that's been connected to global warming. There were hundreds of examples.[Each example is linked to the original lie--err, story.]
When anything is offered as the explanation of everything, it's an explanation of nothing, like every other superstition and conspiracy theory.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

the orbit of the Earth around the sun causes climate change

the sky is falling! be a slave!

-Imp
vegetariantaxidermy

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:51 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:15 pm Well we certainly get far more earthquakes here than there ever used to be.

Pick a topic and add "climate change" to it in a Google search and you're likely to find some article or study suggesting a connection between the two.

This week, CNN ran another blame-climate-change-first story. This one claimed that the rate of animal bits "has increased over the past 10 years, according to Dr. Joseph Forrester, one of the authors of the study published Tuesday in the BMJ. He anticipates that it will continue to rise, partially because of climate change."

Time magazine blamed mental health problems on climate change. "Trauma, post-traumatic stress disorder and depression all rank among the ailments linked to climate change," the story said

EcoWatch warned pet owners that climate change was probably the reason their dogs have fleas because "climate change is creating an ideal habitat for pests."

The Denver Post claimed that climate change was partly responsible for the decline in fertility rates.

Another article claimed a few years ago that "various skin disorders such as acne scars are the result of global warming and climate change."

One website had collected examples of just about everything that's been connected to global warming. There were hundreds of examples.[Each example is linked to the original lie--err, story.]
When anything is offered as the explanation of everything, it's an explanation of nothing, like every other superstition and conspiracy theory.
I'm not an 'environmentalist' (whatever that means), I just look for evidence from reputable sites.

I was only making an observation in response to the OP. My link is referring to volcanic activity. For a country with a population of morons that is astronomically out of proportion with those of reasonable intelligence, it does produce some fantastic scientific minds and most of the world's best science educators, but of course they are being largely silenced by one of the many moronic movements that have come out of the US-- because they haven't conformed to the impossibly high moral standards of 'Neo-Puritanism' (I wonder when they will 'discover' that Carl Sagan once pinched a woman's arse in 1973 or wore 'blackface' in a school nativity play when he was six, and demand that all his books be burned and taken out of circulation and that 'Cosmos' never be shown again...)

As for you, I've just written a comment about you on another thread so be a good little moronic yank conspiracyturd and refer to that, and shove your vile, self-serving greed-link right up your arse.

Ooh, is this really happening, or is it a MOOOVIE?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:16 pm

I'm not an 'environmentalist (whatever that means),' ...
I never said you were.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:15 pm ... I just look for evidence from reputable sites.
Reputed by who? Environmentalists (self-styled experts that blame everything on climate caused by human beings) of course.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:15 pm I was only making an observation in response to the OP. My link is referring to volcanic activity. For a country with a population of morons that is astronomically out of proportion with those of reasonable intelligence, it does produce some fantastic scientific minds and most of the world's best science educators, but of course they are being largely silenced by one of the many moronic movements that have come out of the US-- because they haven't conformed to the impossibly high moral standards of 'Neo-Puritanism' (I wonder when they will 'discover' that Carl Sagan once pinched a woman's arse in 1973 or wore 'blackface' in a school nativity play when he was six, and demand that all his books be burned and taken out of circulation and that 'Cosmos' never be shown again...)

As for you, I've just written a comment about you on another thread so be a good little moronic yank conspiracyturd and refer to that, and shove your vile, self-serving greed-link right up your arse.

Heh, heh! Don't look now, but your prejudices are showing. You are Soooo serious... Unfortunately it's all about that which does not matter.

Not for you, but anyone who might wonder, I do not subscribe to any conspiracy theory, for the simple reason that those who are accused of being part of one would never have the mental ability necessary to actually pull one off. Nobody has to conspire to deceive people into believing the nonsense most believe. Most people are totally ignorant and gullible and will believe anything any supposed authority, expert, self-identified "scientist," politician, religious leader, or academic philosopher teaches.
vegetariantaxidermy

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:33 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:16 pm

I'm not an 'environmentalist (whatever that means),' ...
I never said you were.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:15 pm ... I just look for evidence from reputable sites.
Reputed by who? Environmentalists (self-styled experts that blame everything on climate caused by human beings) of course.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:15 pm I was only making an observation in response to the OP. My link is referring to volcanic activity. For a country with a population of morons that is astronomically out of proportion with those of reasonable intelligence, it does produce some fantastic scientific minds and most of the world's best science educators, but of course they are being largely silenced by one of the many moronic movements that have come out of the US-- because they haven't conformed to the impossibly high moral standards of 'Neo-Puritanism' (I wonder when they will 'discover' that Carl Sagan once pinched a woman's arse in 1973 or wore 'blackface' in a school nativity play when he was six, and demand that all his books be burned and taken out of circulation and that 'Cosmos' never be shown again...)

Heh, heh! Don't look now, but your prejudices are showing. You are Soooo serious... Unfortunately it's all about that which does not matter.

Not for you, but anyone who might wonder, I do not subscribe to any conspiracy theory, for the simple reason that those who are accused of being part of one would never have the mental ability necessary to actually pull one off. Nobody has to conspire to deceive people into believing the nonsense most believe. Most people are totally ignorant and gullible and will believe anything any supposed authority, expert, self-identified "scientist," politician, religious leader, or academic philosopher teaches.
If you don't have any 'prejudices' then how did you come by that link? You really aren't educated or intelligent enough to hold the political stance that you do. You need a little bit more than, 'This is what I want wah wah wah...'.

Btw, I didn't realise that none of your comments have been 'serious'-- that it's all just a joke to you. Hmm. I actually thought that global warming was a serious problem. I didn't realise it was just a light-hearted joke. Actually, the news that your comments have all been satirical makes perfect sense and explains a lot. So you are on the side of science after all :lol:

ps. Work on the satire. It's a bit too obscure to be effective.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:37 pm You really aren't educated or intelligent enough to hold the political stance that you do.
What, "political stance," would that be? There is no political solution to any supposed problem. It's people who believe governments can actually solve problems that are the cause of most so-called social problems. I am totally a-political.

I do not mind criticism of my views but those who consistently attribute views to me which I do not have and then criticize them just bewilders me.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Impenitent wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:37 pm the orbit of the Earth around the sun causes climate change

the sky is falling! be a slave!

-Imp
Chicken Little rules the world.
vegetariantaxidermy

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:28 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:37 pm You really aren't educated or intelligent enough to hold the political stance that you do.
What, "political stance," would that be? There is no political solution to any supposed problem. It's people who believe governments can actually solve problems that are the cause of most so-called social problems. I am totally a-political.

I do not mind criticism of my views but those who consistently attribute views to me which I do not have and then criticize them just bewilders me.
Not 'believing in govts.' (whatever that means) is a political stance in itself. Even in the caves humans would have some kind of system.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:28 pm I am totally a-political.
"apolitical"
Is a political position