To boldly go where no Captain Kirk has not been before....

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Scott Mayers

To boldly go where no Captain Kirk has not been before....

Post by Scott Mayers »

WATCH LIVE: William Shatner launches into space aboard Blue Origin rocket

T = -21:00 mins...

Bill admits he is scared and looked sick on the way to the capsule.

T = -18:00 mins...

I remember thinking how unlikely Star Trek communicators would become reality (cell phones).

They are on hold....again. Maybe someone forgot to go to the bathroom before they got on board?

T = -15:00 mins...

T= -1:00 mins...

Shatner has shat his pants, I think. They are hyping him up at the moment because I believe he is in utter fear.

"Hey Mr. Spaceman"

Lift off!!

And they are safe! Whew!
Attachments
2021-10-13_084746.png
2021-10-13_084746.png (98.04 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
Scott Mayers

Re: To boldly go where no Captain Kirk has not been before....

Post by Scott Mayers »

Capsule Touchdown!

[exactly at 10:00 am CT!]
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Thanks for posting. It was interesting to watch.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

That's the most phallic looking rocket I've seen yet...

William Shatner is amazing. He doesn't seem any older than 70!
wtf

Post by wtf »

This thread could not be complete without noting George "Mr. Sulu" Takei's takedown of blowhard Shatner.

“He’s boldly going where other people have gone before,” ‘Star Trek’ actor says of 90-year-old “guinea pig” Shatner

“So 90-years-old is going to show a great deal more on the wear and tear on the human body, so he’ll be a good specimen to study,” Takei said, “Although he’s not the fittest specimen of 90-years-old, so he’ll be a specimen that’s unfit!”

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... f-1242410/
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

This pathetic low-tech jaunt into near space offers no advance in science.
Produces no benefits for mankind.
The only thing of note about this childish vanity is the threat to the ozone layer, the pollution and the carbon footprint.
vegetariantaxidermy

:lol:

Well it was rather underwhelming and not very 'space like', but I suppose they have to start somewhere.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:20 pm This pathetic low-tech jaunt into near space offers no advance in science.
The only thing of note about this childish vanity is the threat to the ozone layer, the pollution and the carbon footprint.
I too am not a fan regarding our priorities of this either. I think we need to fix our issues at home before expending our limited resources on going to space.

[I similarly argue politically for dealing with issues at home (one's own country or, to a most local example, one's family) with priority before expecting we can be appropriately able to extend compassion for the influx of immigrants elsewhere. If we cannot affectively help those other country's problems on Earth, what does it matter if we could possibly find some meaning to living on some place like Mars?]

I still respect the symbolism of having Captain Kirk go to space and why I did not even mention the company taking him up. Even William Shatner is less significant without his connection to Star Trek. [...to which I think he himself would agree.] He just happens to also be representing the average person's "dreams" in that he was only a character actor or pretense of the ideal of us conquering the Universe.
Walker

Post by Walker »

90 years old. Shatner is a bull.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

The best Kirk in the Star Trek series was actually named Kirk Thatcher...

-Imp
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Maybe some value can come from the awareness gained by people-other-than-astronauts in poking their heads above the blue blanket of Earth, to recognize the fragility and extraordinary beauty of our world. Rather than colonizing space (anytime soon), we could be more immediately inspired to protect our home on Earth.

I think exploration (in general) is helpful when it broadens perspective. It may seem like a waste of resources (and there are always ideas for how to spend money and do things better), but a lot of people are broadening their perspectives through their association with such a project -- and broader perspectives can lead to more innovative solutions and potential. We don't always end up where we think we're going.

There is a lot of superstitious ignorance on planet Earth -- there certainly is on this forum. :lol: That may be humankind's greatest threat for survival. Perhaps all of Earth's leaders should be sent up to the edge of space to take a look.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:51 pmPerhaps all of Earth's leaders should be sent up to the edge of space to take a look.
Some should be sent farther than the edge.

They’re the ones who holler, Gimme six trillion more! upon hearing, Last Call!
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Scott Mayers wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:16 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:20 pm This pathetic low-tech jaunt into near space offers no advance in science.
I too am not a fan regarding our priorities of this either. I think we need to fix our issues at home before expending our limited resources on going to space.

[I similarly argue politically for dealing with issues at home (one's own country or, to a most local example, one's family) with priority before expecting we can be appropriately able to extend compassion for the influx of immigrants elsewhere. If we cannot affectively help those other country's problems on Earth, what does it matter if we could possibly find some meaning to living on some place like Mars?]

I still respect the symbolism of having Captain Kirk go to space and why I did not even mention the company taking him up. Even William Shatner is less significant without his connection to Star Trek. [...to which I think he himself would agree.] He just happens to also be representing the average person's "dreams" in that he was only a character actor or pretense of the ideal of us conquering the Universe.
Until there is an endless free source or propulsive fuel human are basically stuck within the lunar orbit as far as colonisation is concerned and no amount of trips to and from Mars are going to advance our skills, nor will it bring any closer the advent of an endless free source or propulsive fuel.

Although I am a lifetime fan of science fiction I also know the basic economic reality of all space travel and exploration.

When I was a boy I saw men walk on the moon. At that time we were all promised lunar tourism to the several moon bases that were being planned by the year 2001. This never happened. Reality kicked in. Space is hostile and everything we need is right here on earth where we evolved.

I'm happy for Shatner. And I suppose a lot of people think this trip in a toy rocket has meaning. But this jaunyt could have been achieved at any time from 1960 to the present. There is no innovation here except vanity.

The trip stomped down a heavy carbon footprint, but tomorrow it will be, as we say in the UK, chip paper., alongisde the rest of yesterday's news such as 1 in 10 predicted diabetes victims by 2030, and France's threat to cut UK power.
vegetariantaxidermy

So instead of reaching for the stars we should 'get real' and be worrying about fat people with self-inflicted type 2 diabetes...
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

I watched Shatner's interview, with Anderson Cooper; seeing footage of the man in the shuttle, got me thinking about the contrivance of plot in outer space - the very ordeal of just having an ability to be part of a plot