Mind is immortal II

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Terrapin Station

Re: Mind is immortal II

Post by Terrapin Station »

bahman wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:20 am
Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:37 pm
bahman wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:57 am
That is proven in the link that is provided in OP.
I explained in that thread what's wrong with your "proof."

If x is a two particle system, all we need for x to change is for the relations of the particles to change.
I don't understand your point.
No $h|t. Hence why you're writing stuff like "Mind is necessary for change/motion."
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:56 am
Dontaskme wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:45 pm
bahman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:30 pm To show that the mind is immortal I have to show that the mind is time-independent and it exists. The existence of the mind is discussed here. To show that the mind is time-independent we first assume that time is time dependent. This means that the mind is subject to change. Anything that is subject to change requires a mind. This leads to a regress. Therefore, the mind is time-independent. Therefore, the mind is immortal.
No it’s not immortal ..the mind is an appearance of the immortal…an appearance is any thing but immortal.
No, the mind is a substance. It is not appearance.
If the mind is a substance then where is it?
If the mind is a substance then what maintains and sustains it?
If the mind is a substance then how can it be immortal?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:52 am
bahman wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:20 am
Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:37 pm

I explained in that thread what's wrong with your "proof."

If x is a two particle system, all we need for x to change is for the relations of the particles to change.
I don't understand your point.
No $h|t. Hence why you're writing stuff like "Mind is necessary for change/motion."
Yes, mind is needed for change. So what?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:55 am
Dontaskme wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:45 pm No it’s not immortal ..the mind is an appearance of the immortal…an appearance is any thing but immortal.
It depends on how it interacts with other things. It is local if it interacts locally with other things. Otherwise, it is nonlocal/omnipresent.
Sculptor wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:55 am If the mind is a substance then what maintains and sustains it?
Nothing else but itself. To claim that mind is sustained by something else leads to regress.
Sculptor wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:55 am IIf the mind is a substance then how can it be immortal?
I already discussed this in OP.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:39 pm
It depends on how it interacts with other things. It is local if it interacts locally with other things. Otherwise, it is
nonlocal/omnipresent.
That is no answer.
Sculptor wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:55 am If the mind is a substance then what maintains and sustains it?
Nothing else but itself. To claim that mind is sustained by something else leads to regress.
Yet all substance changes and without sustainence and maintenance it loses it qualities.
So if their is a problem if regress then the problem is with your premise.
Sculptor wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:55 am IIf the mind is a substance then how can it be immortal?
That is no answer either.
There can be no substance without extension.
All you have here is a collection of contradictions.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

bahman wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:17 am Mind is not an attribute given my definition.
There's the problem right there.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:35 pm
It depends on how it interacts with other things. It is local if it interacts locally with other things. Otherwise, it is
nonlocal/omnipresent.
That is no answer.
I mean if the interaction is local then the mind is in the place of interaction otherwise somewhere else.
Yet all substance changes and without sustainence and maintenance it loses it qualities.
No, to assume that the mind is sustained by something else leads to regress as I mentioned. Mind by definition is a changeless substance with specific properties.
Mind is an irreducible substance as such it does not have any extension. You could divide the mind into different parts if it has an extension. one of the duties of the mind is to decide. There would be tension between decisions if each part makes a decision. This will leads to halt problem.
bahman

Post by bahman »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:46 pm
bahman wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:17 am Mind is not an attribute given my definition.
There's the problem right there.
There is no problem in there. That is my definition. You have another definition. Let's call it mind prime.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:09 am
nonlocal/omnipresent.
That is no answer.
I mean if the interaction is local then the mind is in the place of interaction otherwise somewhere else.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, to assume that the mind is sustained by something else leads to regress as I mentioned. Mind by definition is a changeless substance with specific properties.
What sustains your argument??
Nothing.

Mind is an irreducible substance as such it does not have any extension.
QED is is not a substance.
You don't know what you are talking about.
You could divide the mind into different parts if it has an extension. one of the duties of the mind is to decide. There would be tension between decisions if each part makes a decision. This will leads to halt problem.
No. The brain can be divided into fucntions. And if you lose or damage key areas you loses key fucntions. SO much is public knowledge.
The mind is a quality of the brain.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:16 pm
That is no answer.
:evil:
Nothing.
I already argue in favor of changeless mind in OP. The mind has properties, namely the ability to experience, decide and cause. This is discussed in the link in OP.
You could divide the mind into different parts if it has an extension. one of the duties of the mind is to decide. There would be tension between decisions if each part makes a decision. This will leads to halt problem.
No. The brain can be divided into fucntions. And if you lose or damage key areas you loses key fucntions. SO much is public knowledge.
Well, as far as I know, the hard problem of consciousness is not resolved yet. So the brain functions like thinking require consciousness cannot be explained in terms of brain function unless you claim that you have a solution to the hard problem of consciousness. I would be happy to hear your solution. :mrgreen:
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:31 pm

Nothing.
I already argue in favor of changeless mind in OP. The mind has properties, namely the ability to experience, decide and cause. This is discussed in the link in OP.
A changeless mind CANNOT experience or learn.

Well, as far as I know, the hard problem of consciousness is not resolved yet. So the brain functions like thinking require consciousness cannot be explained in terms of brain function unless you claim that you have a solution to the hard problem of consciousness. I would be happy to hear your solution. :mrgreen:
bahman

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:40 pm
Nothing.
It can if its content change.

I know what I am talking about. By the way, what is your solution to the hard problem of consciousness?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:48 pm

WT actual F are you babbling about??
Yes the contents have to change to learn and that is what is called CHANGE you dipship

I know what I am talking about. By the way, what is your solution to the hard problem of consciousness?
BTW what is your solution to the hard problem of consciousness?
Physicalism answers everything.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:56 pm
Yes the contents have to change to learn and that is what is called CHANGE you dipship
I make the distinction between the mind and its content.

What is the answer of physicalism to the hard problem of consciousness?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:45 am
Sculptor wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:56 pm
I make the distinction between the mind and its content.
And that is why you are stupid. A thing is different when its contents are different

What is the answer of physicalism to the hard problem of consciousness?