Do thoughts affect reality?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

AlexW

Re: Do thoughts affect reality?

Post by AlexW »

Age wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:06 am Thought, itself, is what causes EVERY behavior of the human body.
I seriously doubt that :-)
You don't have to think "beat, beat, beat..." approximately once every second to make your heart beat, do you?
But maybe I misinterpret you?

Post by Age »

Terrapin Station wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:40 am
bahman wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:21 am
Terrapin Station wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:14 am
It's possible for it to be a brute fact that matter behaves in a limited way without following any rules.
The matter is free or non-free?
Both are logically possible so that we have neither rule-following per se nor arbitrariness.
Each particle of matter is only partially free to move about. Matter is neither fully free nor fully non-free. Matter is absolutely free to move about, but matter is not completely and utterly free.

This, by the way, and off topic, also helps in explaining WHY there is neither free will nor determinism, only. Both of these co-exist together, equally.
Terrapin Station wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:14 am
You just wrote that physical laws exist as thoughts in the mind of intelligent agents only. So how can laws also be "its nature and not what is going on in our mind"?

It's like you can't remember what you claimed two seconds ago.
The laws of physics do not exist in matter. It only exists in minds of intelligent beings. The matter however behaves according to the laws of nature.
As with the other post, your comment here has nothing at all to do with the inconsistency I'm pointing out. You're completely ignoring that aspect (as if you read it and then immediately forgot about it and decided to just make a general comment instead--or you're intentionally ignoring the problem and you're trolling).
Is there no other possibility?

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:59 pm
bahman wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:21 am
The matter is free or non-free?
Both are logically possible so that we have neither rule-following per se nor arbitrariness.

The laws of physics do not exist in matter. It only exists in minds of intelligent beings. The matter however behaves according to the laws of nature.
As with the other post, your comment here has nothing at all to do with the inconsistency I'm pointing out. You're completely ignoring that aspect (as if you read it and then immediately forgot about it and decided to just make a general comment instead--or you're intentionally ignoring the problem and you're trolling).
I am saying three things. The laws of physics do not exist in matter. It only exists in minds of intelligent beings. The matter however behaves according to the laws of nature. What is inconsistent here?
What you just said here, for numerous reasons.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:02 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:04 am
bahman wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:15 pm
I cannot formulate it. I know that I wanted to get up. Then there was a motion in my body. There is however a gap between wanting and moving since wanting is a conscious phenomenon whereas the motion of my body is a physical phenomenon.

So you move the electron in your brain in order to move your body.
Something like that. But I am not separate from the "electron", it is one of trillions of which I comprise.
I don't know how I affect the electrons of my brain.
If you do ever find out, or learn, then you will also discover and see just how self-explanatory all of this REALLY IS.

Post by Age »

AlexW wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:45 am
Age wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:06 am Thought, itself, is what causes EVERY behavior of the human body.
I seriously doubt that :-)
You are absolutely free to seriously doubt absolutely ANY thing.
AlexW wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:45 am You don't have to think "beat, beat, beat..." approximately once every second to make your heart beat, do you?
No. But a heart beating is NOT a 'behavior', to me.

See, to me, the body either acts, or reacts, or behaves, or misbehaves. An action/reaction is NOT controlled nor caused by a 'thought'. However, EVERY behavior/misbehavior is controlled or caused by a 'thought'.
AlexW wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:45 am But maybe I misinterpret you?
MANY have.
Hermit Philosopher

Post by Hermit Philosopher »

Age wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:47 am.../there is neither free will nor determinism, only. Both of these co-exist together, equally.

Yep, I’d say that a pretty good summary.
Thanks @Age.

That line addresses the part you’re struggling with @bahman; it clarifies why the paradox isn’t actually there.

Humbly
Hermit
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:02 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:04 am
bahman wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:15 pm
I cannot formulate it. I know that I wanted to get up. Then there was a motion in my body. There is however a gap between wanting and moving since wanting is a conscious phenomenon whereas the motion of my body is a physical phenomenon.

So you move the electron in your brain in order to move your body.
Something like that. But I am not separate from the "electron", it is one of trillions of which I comprise.
I don't know how I affect the electrons of my brain.
Does that bother you?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

bahman wrote:Do thoughts affect reality?
Beyond our own control of our bodies, actually, YES they can. The 3rd party intelligence - that quite possibly is a key requirement for consciousness, can act - cause and effect - upon thoughts IT has interpreted within your mind.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Age wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:41 am
RCSaunders wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:32 am My thoughts are not physical things.
Do 'you' KNOW, for sure, that 'thoughts' are NOT physical things?

If yes, then HOW?
Yes I know my thoughts are not physical things. I know it in the same way I know I can see. I can't "see my seeing." I can't "prove it to anyone else," nor do I need to. I certainly cannot prove it to you, just as you cannot prove you see to anyone else.
Age wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:41 am Also, who and/or what does the "my" refer to in the saying, "my thoughts"?
Whomever you are asking your question of.
RCSaunders wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:32 am They have no physical properties, cannot be observed by any physical means and cannot be explained in terms of any physical process.
I agree that thoughts cannot YET be observed by any physical means and cannot YET be explained in terms of any physical process, in the days when this is being written. However, this does NOT mean NOR prove that thoughts have NO physical properties.
Since there is no reason to assume they do have physical properties, why would you want them to?

If you do refer to the articles I referenced, most of the questions you have about my views will be answered. You certainly do not have to agree with them, but at least you'll know what you are arguing against if you don't agree.
My Philosophy Now Forum articles:

"The Physical, Life, Consciousness, and The Human Mind—A Preface"

"The Nature Of Life,"

"The Nature Of Consciousness,"

"The Nature of Mind,"

"An Analogy, From Physical To Mind."
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:10 pm Yes I know my thoughts are not physical things. I know it in the same way I know I can see. I can't "see my seeing." I can't "prove it to anyone else," nor do I need to. I certainly cannot prove it to you, just as you cannot prove you see to anyone else.
Are you saying that you're not a physicalist, or are you simply using "thing" in some "technical" way, where you're simply saying that thoughts aren't "independent entities"?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Terrapin Station wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:46 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:10 pm Yes I know my thoughts are not physical things. I know it in the same way I know I can see. I can't "see my seeing." I can't "prove it to anyone else," nor do I need to. I certainly cannot prove it to you, just as you cannot prove you see to anyone else.
Are you saying that you're not a physicalist, or are you simply using "thing" in some "technical" way, where you're simply saying that thoughts aren't "independent entities"?
I'm saying exactly what I said, thoughts (by which I assume Terrapin meant concepts and their use in reasoning) are not physical. The, "things," word is simply to refer to the fact my conscious concepts are, "something," not, "nothihg." ...and I have to make what I mean by thoughts clear because so many idiots think just anything that goes on in their head, like feelings, imagination, and dreams are all, "thoughts." They'r not.

By thoughts I mean only, "concepts," and the conscious intentional processes that use them: thinking, judging, and making conscious choices. None of those are physical, or explicable in terms of any physical attributes or actions, or can possibly be (exist) separate from human consciousness. When the last human consciousness ceases to exist (hypothetically), there will be no concepts or knowledge, no knowledge methods (language, mathematics, logic), no history, science, geography, or literature, except for whatever physical artifacts remain which human beings used for keeping utilizing that knowledge.

Concepts (thoughts) only exist epistemologically (psychologically); concepts have no ontological (material) existence.

I am not a, "physicalist," by the way, but only because I am not any kind of, "-ist." I embrace no ideology or pre-concieved philosophy or recognized explanations.
Last edited by RCSaunders on Sat May 22, 2021 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:48 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:46 pm
I'm saying exactly what I said, thoughts (by which I assume Terrapin meant concepts and their use in reasoning) are not physical. The, "things," word is simply to refer to the fact my conscious concepts are, "something," not, "nothihg." ...and I have to make what I mean by thoughts clear because so many idiots think just anything that goes on in their head, like feelings, imagination, and dreams are all, "thoughts." They'r not.

By thoughts I mean only, "concepts," and the conscious intentional processes that use them: thinking, judging, and making conscious choices. None of those are physical, are explicable in terms of any physical attributes or actions, or can possibly be (exist) separate from human consciousness. When the last human consciousness ceases to exist (hypothetically), there will be no concepts or knowledge, no knowledge methods (language, mathematics, logic), no history, science, geography, or literature, except for whatever physical artifacts remain which human beings used for keeping utilizing that knowledge.

Concepts (thoughts) only exist epistemologically (psychologically); concepts have no ontological (material) existence.

I am not a, "physicalist," by the way, but only because I am not any kind of, "-ist." I embrace no ideology or pre-concieved philosophy or recognized explanations.
Ah, I don't agree with that view at all. I'm a physicalist. Mental content is simply a subset of brain function in my view.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:47 pm
bahman wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:03 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:45 am Thought can steer the body into action.
How?
If the word 'action' here refers to how the human body behaves, or misbehaves, then how thought steers the human body into 'action' should not even be a question.
It is an important question.
Age wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:47 pm How the human body behaves is SOLELY because of thought, itself, and from thought, alone.
How?
bahman wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:03 pm Could you control the electrons in your brain?
'you' do NOT YET even KNOW who nor what 'you' are, not who nor what the 'you' is. So, asking if 'you' can do something like 'you' are asking here is just nonsensical.
Could you move?
bahman wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:03 pm How a conscious experience, such as thought, can affect the motion of the electrons in your brain?
What EXACTLY affects the motion of the electrons in the human brain, to you?
I am wondering that how thoughts can affect the motion of electrons in the brain. Electrons are known to affect each other only.
Age wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:47 pm For your information, when 'you' can look at these 'things'from a Truly objective perspective, then the answers become just obvious, while also fitting together perfectly.
What is the answer?
bahman wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:03 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:45 am This is the only chance we have of using thought to affect reality.
It is easy to say. Hard to prove.
The movement of a human body, in behavioural ways, is produced by, or caused from, a thought.
Human behavior effects 'reality', in a way.
Therefore, in a way, thoughts effect 'reality'.

But, then again, what 'reality' actually is, is thought about very differently. Which therefore proves that thought, literally, effects 'reality'.
That just says that thought correlates with the behavior.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:06 pm
bahman wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:13 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:19 pm
Not sure what a Thought is or what Reality is,
I know what thought and reality are.
What are 'thought' and 'reality', to 'you'?
Thought is a sort of experience that conveys a meaning too. The reality in here, the subject of discussion which is materialism, are matter and thoughts.
Age wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:06 pm
bahman wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:13 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:19 pm but Conscious Desires can affect the Physical World while they are being satisfied.
How something which is irrelevant can affect reality.
What are you saying here is 'irrelevant', and, what is that thing irrelevant to, exactly?
I am asking how thoughts that are irrelevant can affect reality.

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:10 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:32 am My thoughts are not physical things.
Do 'you' KNOW, for sure, that 'thoughts' are NOT physical things?

If yes, then HOW?
Yes I know my thoughts are not physical things.
But, for sure?
RCSaunders wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:10 pmI know it in the same way I know I can see.
But these are two very different things, which are known in two very different ways.
RCSaunders wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:10 pmI can't "see my seeing."
Okay. But this is like saying, " I cannot "think my thinking" ", which is very different from knowing, for sure, if some thing is physical or not.
RCSaunders wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:10 pm I can't "prove it to anyone else," nor do I need to.
If you believe so, then so be it.
RCSaunders wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:10 pm I certainly cannot prove it to you,
Why do you believe this is so?

If you are, so sure, you 'know' some 'thing', then, surely, you would have some sort of 'proof' for that 'thing', which you could share with 'me'and/or 'us'?
RCSaunders wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:10 pm just as you cannot prove you see to anyone else.
But I could very simply and very easily proof this to those who do NOT believe otherwise.
Age wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:41 am Also, who and/or what does the "my" refer to in the saying, "my thoughts"?
Whomever you are asking your question of.
This is ANOTHER EXAMPLE of how the people's in the days when this was being written still had absolutely NO clue NOR idea about who 'they' were not who 'I' am. YET they would stop speaking and pretending that they actually did.

These human beings had still not learned how to look at things objectively, and as such spoke subjectively, as though each one of them KNEW, for sure, what they were talking about. But when challenged, as proven and shown above, they DID NOT.

By the way 'I' am asking 'you'. So, who are 'you', which to you supposedly has 'its' thoughts.
RCSaunders wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:32 am They have no physical properties, cannot be observed by any physical means and cannot be explained in terms of any physical process.
I agree that thoughts cannot YET be observed by any physical means and cannot YET be explained in terms of any physical process, in the days when this is being written. However, this does NOT mean NOR prove that thoughts have NO physical properties.
Since there is no reason to assume they do have physical properties, why would you want them to?
Lol WHY would you assume that I would "want them to"?

Also, just as there is NO reason to assume that thoughts do have physical properties is there ANY reason to just begin to start assuming that thoughts do not have physical properties?

If yes, then okay.

But I suggest NOT assuming ANY thing.
RCSaunders wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:10 pm If you do refer to the articles I referenced, most of the questions you have about my views will be answered.
How do 'you' supposedly KNOW what "most of the questions 'I' have" ARE?

By the way, you have FAILED to answer most of the ACTUAL questions that I have ALREADY asked you, let alone those questions, which you just assume I have.
RCSaunders wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:10 pm You certainly do not have to agree with them, but at least you'll know what you are arguing against if you don't agree.
My Philosophy Now Forum articles:

"The Physical, Life, Consciousness, and The Human Mind—A Preface"

"The Nature Of Life,"

"The Nature Of Consciousness,"

"The Nature of Mind,"

"An Analogy, From Physical To Mind."
'you' do NOT YET even KNOW the correct and accurate answer to the question 'Who am 'I'?', nor do 'you' KNOW how the brain and thee Mind work, so the rest of what 'you' wrote in those articles is moot.

Also, WHY do 'you' ASSUME that 'I' am arguing 'against' ANY thing?

You made the CLAIM that "thoughts are NOT physical", I am just trying to CLARIFY how you can KNOW this, for sure. I am also just finding out, or seeing, if you can actually back up and support what you CLAIM is absolutely true.