Ethics of Corona Vaccination

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RWStanding
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:23 pm

Ethics of Corona Vaccination

Post by RWStanding »

Ethics of Corona Vaccination
Ethics is so much vain chatter if it is not related to the fundamental forms of society we recognise.
1. If there are no rules and responsibilities then then there is no society only chaos.
2 In authoritarian society then rules are to protect that authority and its stability.
3 In a free but personally autonomous society self-protection is the priority.
4 In a free but personally responsible society we must protect each other and society as a whole.
Skepdick
Posts: 14131
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: Ethics of Corona Vaccination

Post by Skepdick »

RWStanding wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:33 am 4 In a free but personally responsible society we must protect each other and society as a whole.
Yes, but it always boils down to collective consensus/decision-making.

Who decides what is best for me, you and everyone? We decide!

If we MUST protect each other, then , strictly on ethical grounds, would you protect my right to decide not to get vaccinated?
commonsense
Posts: 5059
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Ethics of Corona Vaccination

Post by commonsense »

It isn’t about freedom of choice; it’s about not doing intentional harm to anyone. It’s about the reduction of transmission of a virus.

No one should have to protect others, but when it comes to harming others, there are laws intended to force everyone not to do so.

The more people who get the virus, the greater the risk to everyone else. Increasing that risk means doing harm to others.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 8311
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Ethics of Corona Vaccination

Post by Sculptor »

Here's is exactly why the EU, the UK and the US have made a complete mess of things.

https://unherd.com/2021/02/the-ideology ... r7d7fQ95mU
User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 4548
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 pm
Location: NYC Man

Re: Ethics of Corona Vaccination

Post by Terrapin Station »

RWStanding wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:33 am Ethics of Corona Vaccination
Ethics is so much vain chatter if it is not related to the fundamental forms of society we recognise.
1. If there are no rules and responsibilities then then there is no society only chaos.
2 In authoritarian society then rules are to protect that authority and its stability.
3 In a free but personally autonomous society self-protection is the priority.
4 In a free but personally responsible society we must protect each other and society as a whole.
Weird that you titled this "Ethics of Corona Vaccination," but the post said nothing whatsoever about that. The post was just some extremely broad platitudes about ethics in the sense of rules and its relationship to society, governmental forms, individual freedom, etc.

Makes me wonder why we don't teach basic compositional and rhetorical skills any longer as an adjunct to natural language and literature courses.
commonsense
Posts: 5059
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Ethics of Corona Vaccination

Post by commonsense »

Terrapin Station wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:33 pm
RWStanding wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:33 am Ethics of Corona Vaccination
Ethics is so much vain chatter if it is not related to the fundamental forms of society we recognise.
1. If there are no rules and responsibilities then then there is no society only chaos.
2 In authoritarian society then rules are to protect that authority and its stability.
3 In a free but personally autonomous society self-protection is the priority.
4 In a free but personally responsible society we must protect each other and society as a whole.
Weird that you titled this "Ethics of Corona Vaccination," but the post said nothing whatsoever about that. The post was just some extremely broad platitudes about ethics in the sense of rules and its relationship to society, governmental forms, individual freedom, etc.

Makes me wonder why we don't teach basic compositional and rhetorical skills any longer as an adjunct to natural language and literature courses.
Exactly! And those basic skills need to include rational, critical, analytical thinking.
Eugene Glus
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 7:50 pm

Re: Ethics of Corona Vaccination

Post by Eugene Glus »

Being so popular the sickness risks to become not less dangerous for sanity /and in turn for societies' sake/, than the sickness itself.
I guess mere and sane programs which importantly include widespread sharing not just the numbers of victims and safety methods, but also something balancing. Must say I don't really know which ones balanced methods have to be used, but as such plagues took place during the history of humanity not once, it doesn't seem to not be overcome.

Sanity, and all of the complex of those related to this term things, isn't less important, and it has to be seen as this: loosing common sense means letting to cause any kinds of evil easily in. So, such putting more efforts to developing the programs of balancing not good news with anything acceptable as good ones. More ideal way is to start dealing with that plague from a point of a focal view - like it was always a problem for humanity, but for now we just need to do a piece of little bit effort to it /no panic, no frightening, etc/.
nemos
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:15 am

Re: Ethics of Corona Vaccination

Post by nemos »

Vaccination is certainly not unethical, but very useful and a wonderful product of creative thought.
But the way in which a particular vaccination campaign is carried out can be both ethical and unethical. And the vaccination campaign carried out by Covid was as unethical as it can be - lots of objections and nothing positive.
The evil of fighting evil should not exceed the original evil.
Impenitent
Posts: 4273
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Ethics of Corona Vaccination

Post by Impenitent »

unknown liquid in a vial

your government masters say that you must inject it to save the planet or everyone dies

do you trust your government? we have always been at war with Eastasia

-Imp
commonsense
Posts: 5059
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Ethics of Corona Vaccination

Post by commonsense »

Impenitent wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:04 pm unknown liquid in a vial

your government masters say that you must inject it to save the planet or everyone dies

do you trust your government? we have always been at war with Eastasia

-Imp
Unknown to you, perhaps, but analyzed by public servants who are committed to public service.
User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 9302
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Ethics of Corona Vaccination

Post by Harbal »

Impenitent wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:04 pm unknown liquid in a vial
We thought it was a vaccine; what do you think it might have been?
your government masters say that you must inject it to save the planet or everyone dies
They did encourage us to have it, but nobody was escorted to the vaccination centre at gun point.
do you trust your government?
What do you think they were up to?
Impenitent
Posts: 4273
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Ethics of Corona Vaccination

Post by Impenitent »

Harbal wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:43 pm
Impenitent wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:04 pm unknown liquid in a vial
We thought it was a vaccine; what do you think it might have been?
your government masters say that you must inject it to save the planet or everyone dies
They did encourage us to have it, but nobody was escorted to the vaccination centre at gun point.
do you trust your government?
What do you think they were up to?
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/28/covid-v ... shows.html
https://www.npr.org/2021/10/24/10479472 ... d-mandates
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... tates.html

not gun point, but millions lost their jobs because they wouldn't take the shot

-Imp
Impenitent
Posts: 4273
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Ethics of Corona Vaccination

Post by Impenitent »

commonsense wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:01 pm
Impenitent wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:04 pm unknown liquid in a vial

your government masters say that you must inject it to save the planet or everyone dies

do you trust your government? we have always been at war with Eastasia

-Imp
Unknown to you, perhaps, but analyzed by public servants who are committed to public service.
the nine most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." - Reagan

-Imp
User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 9302
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Ethics of Corona Vaccination

Post by Harbal »

Impenitent wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:05 pm
not gun point, but millions lost their jobs because they wouldn't take the shot
Maybe that was the lesser of two evils. 🤷‍♂️
Iwannaplato
Posts: 6411
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Ethics of Corona Vaccination

Post by Iwannaplato »

Impenitent wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:05 pm
Harbal wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:43 pm
Impenitent wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:04 pm unknown liquid in a vial
We thought it was a vaccine; what do you think it might have been?
your government masters say that you must inject it to save the planet or everyone dies
They did encourage us to have it, but nobody was escorted to the vaccination centre at gun point.
do you trust your government?
What do you think they were up to?
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/28/covid-v ... shows.html
https://www.npr.org/2021/10/24/10479472 ... d-mandates
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... tates.html

not gun point, but millions lost their jobs because they wouldn't take the shot

-Imp
And in New York City, they're getting handsomely paid for that violation. Finally.
Post Reply