American election.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 10842
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: American election.

Post by Immanuel Can »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:58 am Why are you so lazy and resistant?
Heh. :D It's no part of my job to help you make your case for you. Especially when you've got none.

Why are you so reluctant to give evidence you swear you have?

Never mind. I know.
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4294
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: American election.

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:32 am You wrote
There are many paths to the same "places". And not every destination is at it seems. So it would be a lot more truthful for you to question all of it, rather than making up your one-sided stories of good and bad, which unsurprisingly position you on the side of good.
They don't.
Your words don't even make sense in response to what I said. What noise in your head are you actually responding to?
Nick_A wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:32 amThere are many paths including wokism that result in psychological slavery.
What does that have to do with what I said?
Nick_A wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:32 amThere is one that I know of which awakens a person to experience objective conscience with the potential for liberty.
That's great if you know of one valuable path for something meaningful to you. There are many valuable paths, and countless people who know of them. You and your path are not uniquely/divinely superior/significant. So you should stop pushing it on people, and using it to condemn them.
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4294
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: American election.

Post by Lacewing »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:37 am
Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:58 am Why are you so lazy and resistant?
Heh. :D It's no part of my job to help you make your case for you. Especially when you've got none.
Where is your evidence for what you claim?
Ansiktsburk
Posts: 303
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:03 pm
Location: Central Scandinavia

Re: American election.

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Havent been in the forum in a while. Tried to backtrack what the current discussion is all about. Seems like it was States Rights back in page 22 and then everyone got angry, right?
FlashDangerpants
Posts: 2721
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: American election.

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Ansiktsburk wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:51 am Havent been in the forum in a while. Tried to backtrack what the current discussion is all about. Seems like it was States Rights back in page 22 and then everyone got angry, right?
Veggie has replaced "PCTurd" with "wokie", which means exactly the same nothing.

You are now up to date with all the changes you missed.
Nick_A
Posts: 5562
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: American election.

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:28 am
Nick_A wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:32 am You wrote
There are many paths to the same "places". And not every destination is at it seems. So it would be a lot more truthful for you to question all of it, rather than making up your one-sided stories of good and bad, which unsurprisingly position you on the side of good.
They don't.
Your words don't even make sense in response to what I said. What noise in your head are you actually responding to?
Nick_A wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:32 amThere are many paths including wokism that result in psychological slavery.
What does that have to do with what I said?
Nick_A wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:32 amThere is one that I know of which awakens a person to experience objective conscience with the potential for liberty.
That's great if you know of one valuable path for something meaningful to you. There are many valuable paths, and countless people who know of them. You and your path are not uniquely/divinely superior/significant. So you should stop pushing it on people, and using it to condemn them.
It isn't a matter of being superior. I am aware of the essential difference between objective conscience and indoctrinated psychological slavery. They seem to be the same to you.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 10842
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: American election.

Post by Immanuel Can »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:34 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:37 am
Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:58 am Why are you so lazy and resistant?
Heh. :D It's no part of my job to help you make your case for you. Especially when you've got none.
Where is your evidence for what you claim?
I did not claim anything. In fact, I admitted that I have no evidence at all that the Right Wing is doing anything comparable to the violence and cruelty that the Left Wing is depicted as doing in videos of Seattle, or Kenosha, or Rochester, or Atlanta, or Dallas, or....(well, there's some evidence for you). But I simply asked you for the evidence that warrants your claim that the Right is doing as much evil as the Left.

And you have nothing, it would seem.
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9573
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: American election.

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:36 pm
Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:34 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:37 am
Heh. :D It's no part of my job to help you make your case for you. Especially when you've got none.
Where is your evidence for what you claim?
I did not claim anything. In fact, I admitted that I have no evidence at all that the Right Wing is doing anything comparable to the violence and cruelty that the Left Wing is depicted as doing in videos of Seattle, or Kenosha, or Rochester, or Atlanta, or Dallas, or....(well, there's some evidence for you). But I simply asked you for the evidence that warrants your claim that the Right is doing as much evil as the Left.

And you have nothing, it would seem.
I don't know how you define either 'right' or 'left' wing, but I agree that the vast bulk of tantrums and violence in the US recently have come from the wokie side. I haven't seen any violent protests from Trump voters since his loss like there were from the wokies after bitchface Hillary lost.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 10842
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: American election.

Post by Immanuel Can »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:05 pm I don't know how you define either 'right' or 'left' wing, but I agree that the vast bulk of tantrums and violence in the US recently have come from the wokie side. I haven't seen any violent protests from Trump voters since his loss like there were from the wokies after bitchface Hillary lost.
That's my point, of course.

If we mention Seattle, Portland, Kenosha, Detroit, Rochester, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Washington, Dallas, Minneapolis, or any of the other "peaceful protests" so widely reported and videoed by reporters lit by the fires of destruction and the sounds of dissenters or just bystanders being bullied, beaten, robbed or shot, we can find protesters holding high banners from Leftist causes like Antifa and BLM, and spray painting slogans on every wall, and waging war on the police in the streets, and so on.

But then, if we look around for even a remotely similar "Right Wing" event, we get nothing but crickets.

Now, the press assures us that there are "Alt-Righters" or even "Nazis" looming on every corner. If we don't find them and beat them into submission, they will surely master us with their dark arts. They're a kind of KKK revival, totalitarianism, Capitalist predators club and white supremacist enclave, all rolled into one...and they are nearly upon us. (God help us all! :roll: ) That's the story the wokie Left is selling: get "woked" up and realize how terrible things are, and how incredibly dangerous the Right is...

But the facts just don't bear it out. You can bet your eyeballs that if there actually WERE Right-Wingers setting fires, looting, beating up dissenters, and so on, we would have it on the front page of every newspaper and the lead in every news report.

But still, crickets.

So how long until we all ask the obvious question, "Where?"
commonsense
Posts: 3303
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: American election.

Post by commonsense »

Charlottesville
Nick_A
Posts: 5562
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: American election.

Post by Nick_A »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:20 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:05 pm I don't know how you define either 'right' or 'left' wing, but I agree that the vast bulk of tantrums and violence in the US recently have come from the wokie side. I haven't seen any violent protests from Trump voters since his loss like there were from the wokies after bitchface Hillary lost.
That's my point, of course.

If we mention Seattle, Portland, Kenosha, Detroit, Rochester, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Washington, Dallas, Minneapolis, or any of the other "peaceful protests" so widely reported and videoed by reporters lit by the fires of destruction and the sounds of dissenters or just bystanders being bullied, beaten, robbed or shot, we can find protesters holding high banners from Leftist causes like Antifa and BLM, and spray painting slogans on every wall, and waging war on the police in the streets, and so on.

But then, if we look around for even a remotely similar "Right Wing" event, we get nothing but crickets.

Now, the press assures us that there are "Alt-Righters" or even "Nazis" looming on every corner. If we don't find them and beat them into submission, they will surely master us with their dark arts. They're a kind of KKK revival, totalitarianism, Capitalist predators club and white supremacist enclave, all rolled into one...and they are nearly upon us. (God help us all! :roll: ) That's the story the wokie Left is selling: get "woked" up and realize how terrible things are, and how incredibly dangerous the Right is...

But the facts just don't bear it out. You can bet your eyeballs that if there actually WERE Right-Wingers setting fires, looting, beating up dissenters, and so on, we would have it on the front page of every newspaper and the lead in every news report.

But still, crickets.

So how long until we all ask the obvious question, "Where?"
How good bad music and bad reasons sound when we march against an enemy. Nietzsche
This has nothing to do with logic. These poor young unfortunes having to endure child abuse by arousing anger in them so they will attack an imagined enemy is classic pavlovian conditioning. It is the adults incapable of feeling shame who are the cause of mindless indoctrination and the ruination of young lives
commonsense
Posts: 3303
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: American election.

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:39 pm
SpheresOfBalance wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:36 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:23 pm
How do you have "true democracy" with no "electoral system"? :shock:
Obviously I made a mistake and meant the Electoral College, Obviously! But then you responded as you did, predictably!
Yeah. :D It would be a bit odd to speak of consulting democracy without consulting the people.

So you're not into the smaller States having a voice? You want the large states to control every debate, every decision and every election, no matter what little places like Vermont or unpopulous states like Montana might think?

Just asking.
1 person, 1 vote. By granting Vermont or Montana greater strength to their votes you will be diluting the strength of a vote from New York or California. 1 State, 1 Vote is the false mantra you propose comparatively.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 10842
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: American election.

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:57 pm By granting Vermont or Montana greater strength to their votes you will be diluting the strength of a vote from New York or California.
Not "diluting" unreasonably; the idea of the Union was to balance the overwhelming power of some states against the minimal power of others, so as to create greater equity and to assure that smaller states' interests were not submerged in the overwhelming voice of a Texas or Cali. That's not an evil motive...just one that's difficult to say has ever been equitably achieved.

One thing for sure: making the big states the controllers of all the rest would certainly disenfranchise a lot of local interests and minorities, and would raise the question, "What's in the Union for the smaller states?"
commonsense
Posts: 3303
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: American election.

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:52 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:57 pm By granting Vermont or Montana greater strength to their votes you will be diluting the strength of a vote from New York or California.
Not "diluting" unreasonably; the idea of the Union was to balance the overwhelming power of some states against the minimal power of others, so as to create greater equity and to assure that smaller states' interests were not submerged in the overwhelming voice of a Texas or Cali. That's not an evil motive...just one that's difficult to say has ever been equitably achieved.

One thing for sure: making the big states the controllers of all the rest would certainly disenfranchise a lot of local interests and minorities, and would raise the question, "What's in the Union for the smaller states?"
Texas and California were not part of the Union when it was formed, no matter what the idea was. Some one should have been thinking ahead when large, relatively unpopulated states were admitted.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 10842
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: American election.

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:39 pm Texas and California were not part of the Union when it was formed, no matter what the idea was.
Yeah, but places like New York and Rhode Island were...and more to the point, so was a place like Georgia, where a very different style of life from that in, say, Boston was present. From the start, smaller states had legitimate concerns about the power of the larger states overwhelming them.
Post Reply