Trump - a puzzling enigma

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

The UK has done worse than the US, despite lockdowns and mask wearing. And Biden isn't going to lock down the country so how is that any different from what Trump has done?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:57 pm The UK has done worse than the US, despite lockdowns and mask wearing. And Biden isn't going to lock down the country so how is that any different from what Trump has done?
I don’t expect there would be obvious difference except for transparency.
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:59 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:57 pm The UK has done worse than the US, despite lockdowns and mask wearing. And Biden isn't going to lock down the country so how is that any different from what Trump has done?
You do realise that it was WHO that was was saying mask wearing was unnecessary and could be counterproductive don't you?
We had no enforced mask wearing here for that reason.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:02 pm
You do realise that it was WHO that was was saying mask wearing was unnecessary and could be counterproductive don't you?
If you’re thinking that Biden will mandate masks, all I can say is that I don’t things will look any different than with voluntary masking.

If the WHO employed any healthcare workers at all, they must have known that KN 95 or N 95 masks — aka respirators — were necessary for all healthcare workers and front line workers who could find themselves within close proximity of someone who isn’t masked, as well as necessary for anyone else who could come into proximity with someone who isn’t masked.

So the WHO should have said it wouldn’t be prudent — rather than it would be unnecessary — to deprive healthcare workers and front line individuals of masks as a priority before the rest of us.

The WHO should also have recommended the use of N 95 and KN 95 respirator masks only.

But that’s just my 2 cents’ worth.
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:38 pm

If you’re thinking that Biden will mandate masks, all I can say is that I don’t things will look any different than with voluntary masking.

If the WHO employed any healthcare workers at all, they must have known that KN 95 or N 95 masks — aka respirators — were necessary for all healthcare workers and front line workers who could find themselves within close proximity of someone who isn’t masked, as well as necessary for anyone else who could come into proximity with someone who isn’t masked.

So the WHO should have said it wouldn’t be prudent — rather than it would be unnecessary — to deprive healthcare workers and front line individuals of masks as a priority before the rest of us.

The WHO should also have recommended the use of N 95 and KN 95 respirator masks only.

That's not what I heard. It was 'masks', not specifically industrial strength medical ones. Lots of people make their own, or wear cloth ones with bees and butterflies on them. You can convert a hankie into a mask in two seconds using a couple of hair ties.
vegetariantaxidermy

Countries with a higher death rate than the US:

Brazil
Spain
The UK
Peru
Argentina
Italy
Belgium

I won't even bother mentioning the countries with the obviously bullshit stats (you know who you are India and China...)

Yet every night on the mainstream news it says, in hushed tones, that the US is miles ahead of every other country (and it's all Trump's fault). Now fair is fair. That's just plain biased bullshit.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:12 pm
Belinda wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:06 pm Henry, poor old Donald Trump who would not listen to scientists. Why blame him? He was a product of his culture that prefers not to hear scientists.
do you have anything to offer as answer to my question?
I think you've stopped listening a long time ago.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:46 pm

That's not what I heard. It was 'masks', not specifically industrial strength medical ones. Lots of people make their own, or wear cloth ones with bees and butterflies on them. You can convert a hankie into a mask in two seconds using a couple of hair ties.
Those masks will decrease the flow of respiratory droplets both into and out of a person. COVID 19 can be carried by respiratory droplets, but the virus is also (mainly?) air borne of its own doing without being piggybacked on droplets. Viruses are small enough to pass virtually unfiltered through handkerchiefs and similar.

N 95 & KN 95’s can be purchased by the general public.
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:08 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:46 pm

Those masks will decrease the flow of respiratory droplets both into and out of a person. COVID 19 can be carried by respiratory droplets, but the virus is also (mainly?) air borne of its own doing without being piggybacked on droplets. Viruses are small enough to pass virtually unfiltered through handkerchiefs and similar.

N 95 & KN 95’s can be purchased by the general public.
I really couldn't care less. That wasn't my point :roll:
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:03 pm
Belinda wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:06 pm Henry, poor old Donald Trump who would not listen to scientists. Why blame him? He was a product of his culture that prefers not to hear scientists.
to you: sure
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:28 pm

You just contradicted yourself
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

On second thought, maybe I was wrong when I said Donald Trump is a product of the anti-intellectuals culture. Maybe clever Donald Trump is riding on the willing backs of his MAGA horde.And will continue to spur them on when his physical person has passed on into myth.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

ON HOW MANY FRONTS IS THIS AMERICAN POLITICAL CRAP GOING TO CONTINUE?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 am
henry quirk wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:28 pm
You just contradicted yourself
just cuz I kick the dog don't mean I give a shit about what the dog is whimperin' about

here, have a 🦴
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:58 pm ON HOW MANY FRONTS IS THIS AMERICAN POLITICAL CRAP GOING TO CONTINUE?
ONE should be enough, but which one?

This CRAP, btw, is a sea change in the air for the global politico-economic future, not to mention who knows what other affected areas, not exactly unlike Noah’s flood.