Trump - a puzzling enigma

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: another view...

Post by henry quirk »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:17 pm
commonsense wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:56 pm
The link failed but I’ll try again.
Don't bother. Nothing more than Nazi polemic. God help Henry if he is exposing is febrile mind to this garbage.
It's full of this sort of stuff...
"Despite a laughable impeachment case concocted by House Democrats and clear evidence of corruption tied to the Democratic presidential candidate whom the impeachment effort was designed to protect, Romney nonetheless supported the removal of Donald Trump from the White House."
Trump was impeached on a matter which was admitted publicly; bribing the Ukraine president to invent dirt on the Biden family. The only thing laughable about it was the sycophantic republicans that were to scared of reprucussions from Trump to do the decent thing and convict that cheat and liar.
yer on a roll, buddy...here, have a 🍓
commonsense

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by commonsense »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:02 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:35 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:08 pm

That's the trouble with categories. Racists love them. It's the heart of prejudice and bigotry.
Human kind's worst failing.
Wokies is V’s label, not mine (and not leftist).
No one exhausts a label. You can be woke and a fascist, you can be agnostic and still be fool enought to go to church.
But people like to keep it simple and put people in tidy boxes so they can more easily pour their hatred, blame and poisonous insults towards them. It's called prejudice.
One expects that at a Trump rally but it not acceptible, one would hope, on a site claiming to be a philosophy discussion page.
Nicely put. I am guilty of categorizing on the forum, but I do so only to mirror someone’s words back to them for the sake of their understanding what is being referenced.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

commonsense wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:32 pm

No one exhausts a label. You can be woke and a fascist, you can be agnostic and still be fool enought to go to church.
But people like to keep it simple and put people in tidy boxes so they can more easily pour their hatred, blame and poisonous insults towards them. It's called prejudice.
One expects that at a Trump rally but it not acceptible, one would hope, on a site claiming to be a philosophy discussion page.
Nicely put. I am guilty of categorizing on the forum, but I do so only to mirror someone’s words back to them for the sake of their understanding what is being referenced.
It's not 'nicely put' at all. It doesn't even make sense.
vegetariantaxidermy

Interesting when you see all the parallels between the woke 'cancel culture' and Nazism, Stalinism etc. In fact any kind of tyranny.
The erasing of history.
The destruction of literature (banning instead of burning) and culture that doesn't suit their 'woke' agenda.
Silencing of any kind of differing viewpoint.
Destruction of intellectuals. An interesting one. The Nazis murdered intellectuals, the woke destroy their careers and silence them in that way.
The woke don't debate. They insult and bully via social media. How very courageous of them.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:50 am Interesting when you see all the parallels between the woke 'cancel culture' and Nazism, Stalinism etc. In fact any kind of tyranny.
The erasing of history.
The destruction of literature (banning instead of burning) and culture that doesn't suit their 'woke' agenda.
Destruction of intellectuals. An interesting one. The Nazis murdered intellectuals, the woke destroy their careers and silence them in that way.
The woke don't debate. They insult and bully via social media. How very courageous of them.
Society is so schizoid. What you say is true of your wokies but also applies to a major unwokie and his supporters. Images of Rump call to mind tyranny, even Nazi-style. He rewrites history via his lies. He is the antithesis of the elite and the intellectual. He is anti-science. He fires those who don’t agree with him. And all that I say about Hump is just as applicable, as you correctly point out, to your wokies.
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:06 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:50 am Interesting when you see all the parallels between the woke 'cancel culture' and Nazism, Stalinism etc. In fact any kind of tyranny.
The erasing of history.
Society is so schizoid. What you say is true of your wokies but also applies to a major unwokie and his supporters. Images of Rump call to mind tyranny, even Nazi-style. He rewrites history via his lies. He is the antithesis of the elite and the intellectual. He is anti-science. He fires those who don’t agree with him. And all that I say about Hump is just as applicable, as you correctly point out, to your wokies.
I don't even know where to begin...so I won't...
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Apparently, Trump's advisers had to talk him out of attacking Iran last week. I guess maybe I was a bit wrong in thinking that Trump wouldn't get us into another conflict. :(
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

I think it is not fair to call poor Donald Trump bad names such as " Rump" or " Frump".
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

commonsense wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:32 pm

Thanks.
When you are talking to a snake, sometimes the only thing they understand is hiiiissssiiinnnng.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Belinda wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:25 am I think it is not fair to call poor Donald Trump bad names such as " Rump" or " Frump".
Indeed, true. Especially since "trump" is a synonymous with FART.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:51 am Apparently, Trump's advisers had to talk him out of attacking Iran last week. I guess maybe I was a bit wrong in thinking that Trump wouldn't get us into another conflict. :(
I understand that yet another aide has been booted this week. This time for suggesting that the American electoral system is pretty trustworthy and honest.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

The erasing of history.
Ahem.
A Trump speech wrote:Trump Calls for ‘Patriotic Education’ to Defend American History From the Left

At the National Archives Museum, the president warned against a “radical movement” that has emerged from “decades of left-wing indoctrination in our schools.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/17/us/p ... ation.html
vegetariantaxidermy

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:52 am
The erasing of history.
Ahem.
A Trump speech wrote:Trump Calls for ‘Patriotic Education’ to Defend American History From the Left

At the National Archives Museum, the president warned against a “radical movement” that has emerged from “decades of left-wing indoctrination in our schools.”
Your point?? God you wokies are so thick and annoying.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:58 am
The erasing of history.
Ahem.

...much as I love ya Veg, Y do U have to apply labels to everything (everyone)?

It's the same fish as racism in my eyes.
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:43 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:58 am

Ahem.

...much as I love ya Veg, Y do U have to apply labels to everything (everyone)?

It's the same fish as racism in my eyes.
Then apply it to every person on the planet. And 'everyone' is very broad. Is 'American' a 'label'? Wokism is an 'actual thing'. How else are we supposed to describe 'actual things' other than using the designated word for them?