Wherever You Are, Whatever You Are Doing

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
commonsense
Posts: 3284
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Wherever You Are, Whatever You Are Doing

Post by commonsense »

Could you continue to live indefinitely the way you do now?

Whatever stage of restrictions, if any, you endure now, could you see yourself continuing to endure for any amount of time going forward?

As for me, I have stayed in the house, ordered groceries and dog food over the internet, and spent my time in Forum and watching Netflix. I realized recently that this is very little different than my 2019 life, and I could do this until it’s time for assisted living.
commonsense
Posts: 3284
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Wherever You Are, Whatever You Are Doing

Post by commonsense »

BTW, I’m not afraid of COVID. I’m not even afraid of death. But I am afraid of suffocation, and I’ve had a taste of that without having COVID, as far as I know.

If you think that respiratory failure from COVID is no big deal, just ask a friend to waterboard you for about 15 min.
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4906
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: Wherever You Are, Whatever You Are Doing

Post by attofishpi »

commonsense wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:19 pm BTW, I’m not afraid of COVID. I’m not even afraid of death. But I am afraid of suffocation, and I’ve had a taste of that without having COVID, as far as I know.

If you think that respiratory failure from COVID is no big deal, just ask a friend to waterboard you for about 15 min.
Yes, I think suffocation would be one of the worst ways to go..

No restrictions and no Covid here - so out and about - a friend lives in Victoria, he can barely go outside to fart.
commonsense
Posts: 3284
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Wherever You Are, Whatever You Are Doing

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:26 pm
commonsense wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:19 pm BTW, I’m not afraid of COVID. I’m not even afraid of death. But I am afraid of suffocation, and I’ve had a taste of that without having COVID, as far as I know.

If you think that respiratory failure from COVID is no big deal, just ask a friend to waterboard you for about 15 min.
Yes, I think suffocation would be one of the worst ways to go..

No restrictions and no Covid here - so out and about - a friend lives in Victoria, he can barely go outside to fart.
Has COVID affected you in no way at all? I mean, for example, like shortages at the grocery or hardware store?

Also: Victoria, British Columbia or Victoria, Australia?
Belinda
Posts: 4669
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: Wherever You Are, Whatever You Are Doing

Post by Belinda »

Regarding "suffocation", please see my references in another thread to medical care of dyspneoa .

Much suffering is caused by anxiety, which can be allayed.
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4906
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: Wherever You Are, Whatever You Are Doing

Post by attofishpi »

commonsense wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:03 am
attofishpi wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:26 pm
commonsense wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:19 pm BTW, I’m not afraid of COVID. I’m not even afraid of death. But I am afraid of suffocation, and I’ve had a taste of that without having COVID, as far as I know.

If you think that respiratory failure from COVID is no big deal, just ask a friend to waterboard you for about 15 min.
Yes, I think suffocation would be one of the worst ways to go..

No restrictions and no Covid here - so out and about - a friend lives in Victoria, he can barely go outside to fart.
Has COVID affected you in no way at all? I mean, for example, like shortages at the grocery or hardware store?

Also: Victoria, British Columbia or Victoria, Australia?
The land of Oz maaaate! :)
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 10127
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Wherever You Are, Whatever You Are Doing

Post by henry quirk »

Could you continue to live indefinitely the way you do now?

yes

Whatever stage of restrictions, if any, you endure now, could you see yourself continuing to endure for any amount of time going forward?

except for the first week, back at the end of march, I've paid no attention to any restrictions...largely, things have been business as usual for me
commonsense
Posts: 3284
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Wherever You Are, Whatever You Are Doing

Post by commonsense »

Belinda wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 am Regarding "suffocation", please see my references in another thread to medical care of dyspneoa .

Much suffering is caused by anxiety, which can be allayed.
Where is that thread, please?

My experience included no drugs but there was a definite anxiety. It’s my understanding that anxiety per se is a sx of suffocation and that medical management includes morphine and anxiolytics.
Belinda
Posts: 4669
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: Wherever You Are, Whatever You Are Doing

Post by Belinda »

commonsense wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:13 pm
Belinda wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 am Regarding "suffocation", please see my references in another thread to medical care of dyspneoa .

Much suffering is caused by anxiety, which can be allayed.
Where is that thread, please?

My experience included no drugs but there was a definite anxiety. It’s my understanding that anxiety per se is a sx of suffocation and that medical management includes morphine and anxiolytics.
That thread is " 2020 not Safe For Anyone". Morphine and anxiolytics are drugs of choice according to what I've been reading since you alerted me.
commonsense
Posts: 3284
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Wherever You Are, Whatever You Are Doing

Post by commonsense »

Belinda wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:37 pm
commonsense wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:13 pm
Belinda wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 am Regarding "suffocation", please see my references in another thread to medical care of dyspneoa .

Much suffering is caused by anxiety, which can be allayed.
Where is that thread, please?

My experience included no drugs but there was a definite anxiety. It’s my understanding that anxiety per se is a sx of suffocation and that medical management includes morphine and anxiolytics.
That thread is " 2020 not Safe For Anyone". Morphine and anxiolytics are drugs of choice according to what I've been reading since you alerted me.
Of course! I actually read that when you posted it, as well as the excellent Scottish guidelines. Thanks again for that.
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4906
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: Wherever You Are, Whatever You Are Doing

Post by attofishpi »

commonsense wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:03 am
attofishpi wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:26 pm
commonsense wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:19 pm BTW, I’m not afraid of COVID. I’m not even afraid of death. But I am afraid of suffocation, and I’ve had a taste of that without having COVID, as far as I know.

If you think that respiratory failure from COVID is no big deal, just ask a friend to waterboard you for about 15 min.
Yes, I think suffocation would be one of the worst ways to go..

No restrictions and no Covid here - so out and about - a friend lives in Victoria, he can barely go outside to fart.
Has COVID affected you in no way at all? I mean, for example, like shortages at the grocery or hardware store?
Sorry, forgot about this question. Initially in South Aust. we had a small outbreak and so fitness clubs, pubs & restaurants\cafes etc.. were shutdown due to distancing requirements and number restrictions, people that could were required to work from home. Outdoor, park gatherings became limited to people only within you own household.

The numbers didn't get much above 10\day from recollection, and contact tracing was handled well. All the states closed their borders to interstate travel.

There has been no community transmission for probably two months - only recorded cases of infection are from intl arrivals, that are forced to quarantine in hotels that are locked down.

Victoria made a balls-up by using private security bozos to secure the quarantine hotels. There is video footage of them sleeping on the job, allowing people to mingle in smoking areas, and even sleeping with arrivals. These guys would then go home and hence now infected, transmitted the virus throughout the Vic. community.

The rest of Australia forced hard border closures to Victoria. Finally now that they have had severe lockdowns (really bad for business) they are averaging about 5 cases\day. (as opposed to about 40,000\day which i think the US and Europe are seeing) ..so they are about to start easing restrictions again.

But yes, things in this state have been pretty much BAU.
Post Reply