So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: Mind has no location

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:50 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:41 pm
bahman wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:47 pm
I mean. I don't know what is wrong with my argument. Perhaps you could enlighten me.

What is the mind in your opinion? Where is its location in your opinion?
Why don't you ask yourself what you do with your mind?
You are not making any sense!
HAHA.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bahman wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:50 pm In here we discuss that the reality is made of two things, minds and ideas. Minds are not due to/subjected to ideas. Therefore, they have no location.
I don't know if minds have no location. All I can say is that my mind never seems to be very far away from the rest of me.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Harbal wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:18 pm
bahman wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:50 pm In here we discuss that the reality is made of two things, minds and ideas. Minds are not due to/subjected to ideas. Therefore, they have no location.
I don't know if minds have no location. All I can say is that my mind never seems to be very far away from the rest of me.
That, where you are, is the position of experience.
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

Before attempting to address such a subject, would not the occasional wise and thoughtful philosopher first define exactly what a mind is?

GL
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Greylorn Ell wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:16 am Before attempting to address such a subject, would not the occasional wise and thoughtful philosopher first define exactly what a mind is?
In one thread you insist upon solving Metaphysical problems with modern tools, and then you go and make exactly the same mistake as every philosopher ever.

Indeed, the occasional, wise and thoughtful philosopher would define exactly what mind is.

You are playing the "define it...!" game. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Without paying any attention to the metaphysical problem: What is a definition, exactly?
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:52 am
Greylorn Ell wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:16 am Before attempting to address such a subject, would not the occasional wise and thoughtful philosopher first define exactly what a mind is?
In one thread you insist upon solving Metaphysical problems with modern tools, and then you go and make exactly the same mistake as every philosopher ever.

Indeed, the occasional, wise and thoughtful philosopher would define exactly what mind is.

You are playing the "define it...!" game. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Without paying any attention to the metaphysical problem: What is a definition, exactly?
A good definition should be a function of the thing being defined.

I propose that a worthy definition of mind would be much like the definition of an automobile engine, and would include
  • A description of function.
  • Working principles, e.g. basic thermodynamics in the case of an engine
  • A list of essential components
  • At least some notion of how those components might be integrated,
  • Purpose, if applicable.
There's no point trying to get a useful definition of mind from either a psychologist or neurosurgeon.
GL
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Greylorn Ell wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:26 pm A good definition should be a function of the thing being defined.
So, is it, or is not a function of the mind to synthesise definitions?
bahman

Post by bahman »

GL
Mind is an irreducible substance with the ability to experience, freely decide, and cause.
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:53 pm
Greylorn Ell wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:26 pm A good definition should be a function of the thing being defined.
Yes! Unless you know of some other mechanism capable of doing so. The human mind is the only mechanism on the planet (except for whatever ancient aliens one believes in) capable of studying itself.

However, I do not think that "synthesizing" is likely to yield a useful conclusion. Old ideas about the nature of mind should be discarded, so we can start from scratch.

GL
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

bahman wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:34 pm

GL
Mind is an irreducible substance with the ability to experience, freely decide, and cause.
And that substance is....???
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:53 pm
It is. However, minds have yet to effectively define the nature of a mind.
GL
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

Greylorn Ell wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:21 am

GL
Why ask me? The sentence you quoted is not mine, unless I was horribly drunk and stupid one night.
bahman

Post by bahman »

GL
Foundation of any reality.
bahman

Post by bahman »

GL
Foundation of any reality.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Greylorn Ell wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:42 am It is. However, minds have yet to effectively define the nature of a mind.
GL
How about minds are computers?

Pick your favourite model of computation...