new thought experiment

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
Advocate
Posts: 1305
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 am
Contact:

new thought experiment

Post by Advocate »

If someone is just being somewhere and the cops come, as they inevitably will if you just be anywhere long enough without showing some form of compliance, and the person says "Kill me or leave me alone because i'm not moving and i'm not complying.", what should the cop do? If someone had no right to "just be" are they not a slave at the first level of analysis? Isn't forcing compliance the first and only harm being done in this scenario? Can "just be" ever be appropriately dealt with by physical force?
Age
Posts: 5293
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: new thought experiment

Post by Age »

Advocate wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:58 pm If someone is just being somewhere and the cops come, as they inevitably will if you just be anywhere long enough without showing some form of compliance, and the person says "Kill me or leave me alone because i'm not moving and i'm not complying.", what should the cop do? If someone had no right to "just be" are they not a slave at the first level of analysis? Isn't forcing compliance the first and only harm being done in this scenario? Can "just be" ever be appropriately dealt with by physical force?
If you want to propose a "new thought experiment", then I suggest that it is at least plausible, but preferably realistic.

Since when "if someone is just being somewhere, then the cops will inevitably come"?
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 9323
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: new thought experiment

Post by henry quirk »

Advocate wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:58 pm If someone is just being somewhere and the cops come, as they inevitably will if you just be anywhere long enough without showing some form of compliance, and the person says "Kill me or leave me alone because i'm not moving and i'm not complying.", what should the cop do? If someone had no right to "just be" are they not a slave at the first level of analysis? Isn't forcing compliance the first and only harm being done in this scenario? Can "just be" ever be appropriately dealt with by physical force?
go away and rethink his career choice
Advocate
Posts: 1305
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: new thought experiment

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Age post_id=473105 time=1601037396 user_id=16237]If you want to propose a "new thought experiment", then I suggest that it is at least plausible, but preferably realistic.

Since when "if someone is just being somewhere, then the cops will inevitably come"?
[/quote]

When did realism become a thought experiment requirement? I never got the memo. Bertrand Russell never got the memo. Plato never got the memo. Anyway, ever hear of homelessness?
Advocate
Posts: 1305
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: new thought experiment

Post by Advocate »

[quote="henry quirk" post_id=473108 time=1601037803 user_id=472]
[quote=Advocate post_id=473099 time=1601035126 user_id=15238]
If someone is just being somewhere and the cops come, as they inevitably will if you just be anywhere long enough without showing some form of compliance, and the person says "Kill me or leave me alone because i'm not moving and i'm not complying.", [u]what should the cop do?[/u] If someone had no right to "just be" are they not a slave at the first level of analysis? Isn't forcing compliance the first and only harm being done in this scenario? Can "just be" ever be appropriately dealt with by physical force?
[/quote]

go away and rethink his career choice
[/quote]

Yes, please?
commonsense
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: new thought experiment

Post by commonsense »

Advocate wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:58 pm If someone is just being somewhere and the cops come, as they inevitably will if you just be anywhere long enough without showing some form of compliance, and the person says "Kill me or leave me alone because i'm not moving and i'm not complying.", what should the cop do? If someone had no right to "just be" are they not a slave at the first level of analysis? Isn't forcing compliance the first and only harm being done in this scenario? Can "just be" ever be appropriately dealt with by physical force?
So, you say that someone is just being, and he is approached by law enforcement personnel who apparently have the impression, right or wrong, that this someone needs to be given a citation or needs to be arrested.

So, what should the cop do? Approach. Explain. Invite Cooperation. Upon announcing an intent not to cooperate, the apparent perpetrator should be given further explanation by the cop in a non-escalating fashion.

That having failed, the officer should either give a verbal warning about the assumed infraction and let him go, or proceed with an arrest. At that point, hand restraints could be used until the perp is cuffed. All restraints, when applied correctly, cause no harm.

If the individual should break free, law enforcement should pursue and re-apply restraints and cuffs. Engage nearby police to assist.

No harm should come to the individual either while being arrested or while in custody. Law enforcement should receive ample training in defensive maneuvers to be able to protect themselves without harming the arrestee.

If the individual is still at large, law enforcement should record the incident and move on.
Last edited by commonsense on Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
RCSaunders
Posts: 2146
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: new thought experiment

Post by RCSaunders »

Advocate wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:01 pm When did realism become a thought experiment requirement? I never got the memo. Bertrand Russell never got the memo. Plato never got the memo.
It's why y'all get so many things wrong!

You're not going to figure out much about reality doing all your thinking in unrealistic fantasy worlds.
User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4359
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: new thought experiment

Post by Harbal »

Advocate wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:58 pm If someone is just being somewhere and the cops come, as they inevitably will if you just be anywhere long enough without showing some form of compliance, and the person says "Kill me or leave me alone because i'm not moving and i'm not complying.", what should the cop do? If someone had no right to "just be" are they not a slave at the first level of analysis? Isn't forcing compliance the first and only harm being done in this scenario? Can "just be" ever be appropriately dealt with by physical force?
What could the cop do other than force him to just be somewhere else?
Post Reply