2020: not safe for anyone

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: 2020: not safe for anyone

Post by Immanuel Can »

Impenitent wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:44 pm -Imp
That's good.

Don't forget green-eyed envy. Leftism is all about hating anyone who's doing well, on the assumption they must have cheated to get there, and on the assumption I'm just as deserving as they are...or at least that if I can't get where they are, I'm sure as shootin' going to pull them down to my level.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

-Imp
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

-Imp
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:53 pm
Impenitent wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:44 pm -Imp
That's good.

Don't forget green-eyed envy. Leftism is all about hating anyone who's doing well, on the assumption they must have cheated to get there, and on the assumption I'm just as deserving as they are...or at least that if I can't get where they are, I'm sure as shootin' going to pull them down to my level.
envy: yep

I'll have to remember that one in my back & forth with flash

admiration can inspire; envy always leads to misery
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:07 am admiration can inspire; envy always leads to misery
Truer words were never spoken.

I'm convinced that's all it is, really...this recent "romance" with Neo-Marxism. For a few soft-hearted but soft-headed types, it might be a very misguided belief that more government control can "help the poor": but for the vast majority, it's nothing but envy, really. You can tell by the way they talk, not about the poor but about the rich. It's not really that they love the underprivileged; it's that they hate anybody they see as more "privileged" than they themselves are. They're sick with envy, to the point where the destruction of everybody who's doing better than they are preoccupies them entirely.

Take the fires burning in Democrat cities in the States...which "poor" or "underprivileged" people have been helped by all that? Not one. Everybody's worse off for all that's been done. It's all about rage, bitterness and violence, directed against anybody who seems to be happy, free or prosperous. It has nothing to do with kindness, goodness or charity.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:00 amThey're sick with envy, to the point where the destruction of everybody who's doing better than they are preoccupies them entirely.
Really Mr Can? This is how your christianity teaches you to think about your fellow man? As you are fond of saying, by their deeds shall you know them. By your deeds we know you are full of hate.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Impenitent wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:08 am -Imp
So you like irony? You'll like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLza-868l8U
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:00 am
henry quirk wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:07 am admiration can inspire; envy always leads to misery
Truer words were never spoken.

I'm convinced that's all it is, really...this recent "romance" with Neo-Marxism. For a few soft-hearted but soft-headed types, it might be a very misguided belief that more government control can "help the poor": but for the vast majority, it's nothing but envy, really. You can tell by the way they talk, not about the poor but about the rich. It's not really that they love the underprivileged; it's that they hate anybody they see as more "privileged" than they themselves are. They're sick with envy, to the point where the destruction of everybody who's doing better than they are preoccupies them entirely.

Take the fires burning in Democrat cities in the States...which "poor" or "underprivileged" people have been helped by all that? Not one. Everybody's worse off for all that's been done. It's all about rage, bitterness and violence, directed against anybody who seems to be happy, free or prosperous. It has nothing to do with kindness, goodness or charity.
the envy of useful idiots harnessed by the would-be rulers of the world
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:23 pm the envy of useful idiots harnessed by the would-be rulers of the world
Exactly. Compassion and charity are hard to get people to generate. Not so, envy: that comes quickly and easily to them, especially when packaged with the excuse that whatever is happening to them, they are always the virtuous "victims."

The Social Justice types don't care that this way of spinning things renders their "oppressed" minions permanently powerless; what they like is the impotent rage it generates, which can be directed to the purposes of the violent overthrow of those institutions and practices the manipulators happen not to like.

It is, as you say, "useful" to them. And it has everything to do with seizing an opportunity, and nothing to do with the betterment of the "oppressed."
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:45 pm
henry quirk wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:23 pm the envy of useful idiots harnessed by the would-be rulers of the world
Exactly. Compassion and charity are hard to get people to generate. Not so, envy: that comes quickly and easily to them, especially when packaged with the excuse that whatever is happening to them, they are always the virtuous "victims."

The Social Justice types don't care that this way of spinning things renders their "oppressed" minions permanently powerless; what they like is the impotent rage it generates, which can be directed to the purposes of the violent overthrow of those institutions and practices the manipulators happen not to like.

It is, as you say, "useful" to them. And it has everything to do with seizing an opportunity, and nothing to do with the betterment of the "oppressed."
yep

what's interestin': these SJ leaders believe they'll be callin' the shots when the smoke clears

gonna be awful disheartenin' for them to discover they were just useful idiots too
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

To Anyone and Everyone:

No matter who you are or what you believe, your opponents’ views are the same as the Bizarro World version of your own.

Have a little empathy. Understand that your opponent is in the same frustrating predicament as you.

You think they will destroy whatever is most important to America. They think the same of you.

You think they are all extremists. They think your side harbors extreme beliefs.

You think they are demented. They think you are demented.

From either viewpoint, we are right and they are Bizarro.

We can’t all be right, but I suppose we can all be Bizarro.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:57 pm Understand that your opponent is in the same frustrating predicament as you.
No doubt your admonition is well-intended. I'm not so sure that's true.

However great the "frustration" people may feel, a great many of us still haven't ever muzzled free speech, called opponents Nazis, rioted, burned or looted, and certainly haven't beaten or shot anyone and then celebrated afterward.

Something not quite even-handed is going on there, wouldn't you say?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:20 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:57 pm Understand that your opponent is in the same frustrating predicament as you.
No doubt your admonition is well-intended. I'm not so sure that's true.

However great the "frustration" people may feel, a great many of us still haven't ever muzzled free speech, called opponents Nazis, rioted, burned or looted, and certainly haven't beaten or shot anyone and then celebrated afterward.

Something not quite even-handed is going on there, wouldn't you say?
I see. Perhaps in your case your opponent is experiencing a minimally frustrating quasi-predicament. Kudos for your civility and understanding.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:40 pm Perhaps in your case your opponent is experiencing a minimally frustrating quasi-predicament.
I'm saying that no amount of "frustration" explains or excuses looting, burning, beating up old people, shooting your opponents, and so on. Those are not the tactics of civil disagreement, nor any strategy of betterment of one's own lot. And only one side is doing those things.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:11 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:40 pm Perhaps in your case your opponent is experiencing a minimally frustrating quasi-predicament.
I'm saying that no amount of "frustration" explains or excuses looting, burning, beating up old people, shooting your opponents, and so on. Those are not the tactics of civil disagreement, nor any strategy of betterment of one's own lot. And only one side is doing those things.
Ah!!! I totally misread your post.

I agree.

Your opponent is saying no amount of frustration justifies fascist opposition (I.e. rioting turned inside out) to the United States Constitution. That is anti-American and high treason. This is the inverse of your claim.