2020: not safe for anyone

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8940
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: irony

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:59 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:27 pm 19FB0D82-170B-4481-95AF-EE3499412417.jpeg
But the law must be even handed.
not sure what your point is
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8940
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

okay, then...

Post by henry quirk »

42CACFD4-0270-4BA3-95A0-8B80D946FD15.jpeg
42CACFD4-0270-4BA3-95A0-8B80D946FD15.jpeg (56.77 KiB) Viewed 85 times
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8940
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

okay, then...

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda
Posts: 4057
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: irony

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:08 pm
Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:59 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:27 pm 19FB0D82-170B-4481-95AF-EE3499412417.jpeg
But the law must be even handed.
not sure what your point is
Sorry. I mean that if the man has done time for his previous crimes those crimes should not be used against him, by policemen or judges. If on the other hand these crimes are added on to a list of crimes that he has not been punished for then the backlog of crimes has to be dealt with too.

It's fact that policemen are prejudiced against black men.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 9216
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: irony

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:23 pm It's fact that policemen are prejudiced against black men.
Apparently not. There's actually zero evidence for that, and a lot of evidence to the contrary, in fact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQCQFH5wOJo
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8940
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: irony

Post by henry quirk »

Sorry. I mean that if the man has done time for his previous crimes those crimes should not be used against him, by policemen or judges. If on the other hand these crimes are added on to a list of crimes that he has not been punished for then the backlog of crimes has to be dealt with too.

if joe is a convicted pedo his conviction ought not be considered if he's tried for, say, armed robbery, yeah?

why?

seems to me: a man's history sez sumthin' about him


It's fact that policemen are prejudiced against black men.

evidence, please
Belinda
Posts: 4057
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: irony

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:34 pm
Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:23 pm It's fact that policemen are prejudiced against black men.
Apparently not. There's actually zero evidence for that, and a lot of evidence to the contrary, in fact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQCQFH5wOJo
Yes, of course. i should have said "some policemen" actually institutional bullying of black people is more worrying than the occasional bad apple.
Belinda
Posts: 4057
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: irony

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:46 pm Sorry. I mean that if the man has done time for his previous crimes those crimes should not be used against him, by policemen or judges. If on the other hand these crimes are added on to a list of crimes that he has not been punished for then the backlog of crimes has to be dealt with too.

if joe is a convicted pedo his conviction ought not be considered if he's tried for, say, armed robbery, yeah?

why?

seems to me: a man's history sez sumthin' about him


It's fact that policemen are prejudiced against black men.

evidence, please
Convicted paedophiles are put on a register, as paedophilia is reckoned to be a permanent state of the personality.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 9216
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: irony

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:48 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:34 pm
Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:23 pm It's fact that policemen are prejudiced against black men.
Apparently not. There's actually zero evidence for that, and a lot of evidence to the contrary, in fact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQCQFH5wOJo
Yes, of course. i should have said "some policemen"...
Which ones? Are you supposing, for example, the policemen who may have mishandled the G. Floyd situation actually were sitting in a donut shop five minutes before, and one of them said, "Tell ye what, boys...let's go get us a black guy."

That's what you think happened?
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 9216
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: irony

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:50 pm Convicted paedophiles are put on a register, as paedophilia is reckoned to be a permanent state of the personality.
That is because paedophelia is clinically incurable. It can only be suppressed, not eliminated, by the methods we currently possess. Paedophiles remain a danger. Like alcoholics, they must keep themselves, or be kept, from the source of their temptation, or they relapse.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8940
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: irony

Post by henry quirk »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:59 pm
Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:50 pm Convicted paedophiles are put on a register, as paedophilia is reckoned to be a permanent state of the personality.
That is because paedophelia is clinically incurable. It can only be suppressed, not eliminated, by the methods we currently possess. Paedophiles remain a danger. Like alcoholics, they must keep themselves, or be kept, from the source of their temptation, or they relapse.
all true and all beside the point

again: a man's history sez sumthin' about him...his choices (or afflictions) are a kind of definition

it's dumb to suggest that history ought to ignored, that a man should stand as a blank slate

joe is accused of X: the trial ain't about X, it's about determinin' if Joe did X

his history (as blameless, as criminal) is relevant

innocent till proven guilty doesn't mean ignore the facts of a man's life
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 9216
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: irony

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:49 pm again: a man's history sez sumthin' about him...his choices (or afflictions) are a kind of definition
In the case of paedophilia, this seems to be quite true. Once people cross that line, then short of a miracle, they don't seem to go back. The bad choice to cross the line becomes a definition.
Impenitent
Posts: 3034
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: 2020: not safe for anyone

Post by Impenitent »

Image

-Imp
Impenitent
Posts: 3034
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: 2020: not safe for anyone

Post by Impenitent »

Image

-Imp
Post Reply