"best practice" for everyday living

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

"best practice" for everyday living

Post by Advocate »

How many "best practice"s are there for common things that almost everyone does but nobody thinks about? How much time, effort, and energy could be saved just be making them explicit?

Is there a best way to wipe your ass? A few contingencies aside, yes.

Is there a best way to wash your face? It seems obvious that going top to bottom is better than bottom to top, just for example.

What is best way to pre-heat your oven? There are almost always exceptions but that's only meaningful because there's almost always a common ground too. The best way for washing long hair might be completely different than the best way to wash short hair, all else being equal, but they both have a best way. Some of the best practices everyone ignores are roughly universal and it's a real shame they're not universally known.

Re: "best practice" for everyday living

Post by Age »

Advocate wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:44 pm How many "best practice"s are there for common things that almost everyone does but nobody thinks about? How much time, effort, and energy could be saved just be making them explicit?

Is there a best way to wash your face? It seems obvious that going top to bottom is better than bottom to top, just for example.

What is best way to pre-heat your oven? There are almost always exceptions but that's only meaningful because there's almost always a common ground too. The best way for washing long hair might be completely different than the best way to wash short hair, all else being equal, but they both have a best way. Some of the best practices everyone ignores are roughly universal and it's a real shame they're not universally known.
If it is, supposedly, a "real shame" that 'they' are not universally known, then why do you not start sharing 'them'?

By the way, what is the best way to wipe your ass?

Also, why is washing your face top to bottom, supposedly, better than bottom to top?

If you can NOT or will NOT explain this, then there is NO wonder why this is NOT universally known.

And, what is the best way to pre-heat your oven? The best way to wash long hair? The best way to wash short hair? And, how do you differentiate between long hair and short hair?
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Age wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:43 pm
Advocate wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:44 pm How many "best practice"s are there for common things that almost everyone does but nobody thinks about? How much time, effort, and energy could be saved just be making them explicit?

If it is, supposedly, a "real shame" that 'they' are not universally known, then why do you not start sharing 'them'?

Luckily science has been done... the answer is that you must hold the head of a goose between your thiighs, and then vigorously work the neck around the area to be cleansed, obviously this should be a circular action, wax on and wax off and all that. I know you like to see the evidence of such claims, so here it is ~(translated to modern English of course)...
Rabelais wrote:“But, to conclude, I say and maintain, that of all torcheculs, arsewisps, bumfodders, tail-napkins, bunghole cleansers, and wipe-breeches, there is none in the world comparable to the neck of a goose, that is well downed, if you hold her head betwixt your legs. And believe me therein upon mine honour, for you will thereby feel in your nockhole a most wonderful pleasure, both in regard of the softness of the said down and of the temporate heat of the goose, which is easily communicated to the bum-gut and the rest the inwards, in so far as to come even to the regions of the heart and brains.”
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

>If it is, supposedly, a "real shame" that 'they' are not universally known, then why do you not start sharing 'them'?

Several reasons, including having no resources or help. I've toyed with the idea of a common knowledge wiki, one of many worthwhile projects that will never go anywhere for the same reasons. (ask about Omnipedia and Artful Commons, for example) Do you assume everyone should work on every good idea they have automatically?

>By the way, what is the best way to wipe your ass?

The three seashells, obviously.

If you have the good stuff, two sheets in tri-fold is sufficient.

>Also, why is washing your face top to bottom, supposedly, better than bottom to top?

Gravity.

>If you can NOT or will NOT explain this, then there is NO wonder why this is NOT universally known.

Washing top you bottom Is universally known to most adults. Stop being so fucking contentions all the time. That's not a request. Don't answer my threads if you cannot/will not comply.

>And, what is the best way to pre-heat your oven? The best way to wash long hair? The best way to wash short hair? And, how do you differentiate between long hair and short hair?

As i clearly pointed out, that project does not exist. It's the whole point of this post. If you want to get it started right now, that's great.. start a platform for it and the world will flock to your door, particularly if you start with ways things are unique in various countries/regions for real rather than cultural reasons. Do so and i'll happily begin answering those questions where they can do some good, which isn't here.

Meanwhile, the validity and potential of the project are still the point of this thread, not to simply do it here.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=471921 time=1600430661 user_id=11800]
[quote=Age post_id=471920 time=1600429429 user_id=16237]
[quote=Advocate post_id=469446 time=1599309899 user_id=15238]
How many "best practice"s are there for common things that almost everyone does but nobody thinks about? How much time, effort, and energy could be saved just be making them explicit?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Luckily science has been done... the answer is that you must hold the head of a goose between your thiighs, and then vigorously work the neck around the area to be cleansed, obviously this should be a circular action, wax on and wax off and all that. I know you like to see the evidence of such claims, so here it is ~(translated to modern English of course)...

[quote="Rabelais"]“But, to conclude, I say and maintain, that of all torcheculs, arsewisps, bumfodders, tail-napkins, bunghole cleansers, and wipe-breeches, there is none in the world comparable to the neck of a goose, that is well downed, if you hold her head betwixt your legs. And believe me therein upon mine honour, for you will thereby feel in your nockhole a most wonderful pleasure, both in regard of the softness of the said down and of the temporate heat of the goose, which is easily communicated to the bum-gut and the rest the inwards, in so far as to come even to the regions of the heart and brains.”[/quote]
[/quote]

If geese aren't easily at hand, a constant problem in my current household, try the ancient Nipponese technology of biedae.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Have all options been tried yet? Somebody needs to test drying the poop with a hair dryer and then chiseling it away, before giving the whole area a final once over with a very fine sandpaper.

I would volunteer, but I don't have any sandpaper nor a hair dryer.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=471948 time=1600435591 user_id=11800]
Have all options been tried yet? Somebody needs to test drying the poop with a hair dryer and then chiseling it away, before giving the whole area a final once over with a very fine sandpaper.
[/quote]

That's one of the contingencies; <if you're a stone golem>.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Best practice depends on what you aim to accomplish. Most of us depend upon experts regarding infection control , and motor car manufacture for instance. These are technologies. For instance if I said to you " Here is the blueprint for the new all -electric Ford Zippy, it works fine" I'd have analysed the blueprint ".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom%27s_taxonomy

When the aim is aesthetic , or moral, there are also experts, although the expertise is less knowledge based : more synthetic less analytic. For instance if I said to you "this novel is true to life" I would have created a connection between the truth of the novel's theme and life. Or for instance if I said to you "The best way to cook eggs is soft scrambled" I'd have created a connection between soft-scrambled eggs and deliciousness.

Nobody has to agree with anybody else, experts or no.I have only given hypothetical examples of the categories analysis and synthesis.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Belinda post_id=472012 time=1600442198 user_id=12709]
[quote=Advocate post_id=469446 time=1599309899 user_id=15238]

[/quote]

Best practice depends on what you aim to accomplish. Most of us depend upon experts regarding infection control , and motor car manufacture for instance. These are technologies. For instance if I said to you " Here is the blueprint for the new all -electric Ford Zippy, it works fine" I'd have analysed the blueprint ".

When the aim is aesthetic , or moral, there are also experts, although the expertise is less knowledge based : more synthetic less analytic. For instance if I said to you "this novel is true to life" I would have created a connection between the truth of the novel's theme and life. Or for instance if I said to you "The best way to cook eggs is soft scrambled" I'd have created a connection between soft-scrambled eggs and deliciousness.

Nobody has to agree with anybody else, experts or no.I have only given hypothetical examples of the categories analysis and synthesis.
[/quote]

There are three contingencies: salience, perspective, and priority, which figure in every case, but there is usually an agreed priority (getting your ass clean) in a given situation and various other (almost) universally shared foundations for best practices.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Advocate wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:29 pm
Belinda wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:16 pm

There are three contingencies: salience, perspective, and priority, which figure in every case, but there is usually an agreed priority (getting your ass clean) in a given situation and various other (almost) universally shared foundations for best practices.
Yes, but sometimes there is big shake-up, for instance Covid has caused more efficient and popular knowledge about bathroom hygiene. And a whole population can suddenly wake up to the inefficiency of their political establishment then you have a rebellion.

Art is always best when it's avant garde.