P=P is a Contradiction

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

raw_thought
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by raw_thought »

OK, you are claiming that a straight line is not the shortest distance between 2 points! I disagree and so do all mathematicians.
raw_thought
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by raw_thought »

This whole debate is silly! I should not have to explain to you that the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line and that square circles are absurd.
wtf
Posts: 974
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:36 pm

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by wtf »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:31 pm That's too bad. I'm not interested in the side road that interests you. Feel free to hold forth on it as you like...I'm working on the law of identity, and nothing else.

You spoke nonsense and asserted it as truth. How could anyone take you seriously?

Do you or don't you agree that tautologies can be, and often are, surprising, interesting, and deep?
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 9680
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by Immanuel Can »

wtf wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:48 pm You spoke nonsense and asserted it as truth. How could anyone take you seriously?
I admire your attempt to provoke. It's not transparent at all...really. Totally fooled me.

No thanks.
wtf
Posts: 974
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:36 pm

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by wtf »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:02 am
wtf wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:48 pm You spoke nonsense and asserted it as truth. How could anyone take you seriously?
I admire your attempt to provoke. It's not transparent at all...really. Totally fooled me.
I'm not provoking. I'm asking you in all seriousness to either defend or retract your claim that the law of identity is trivial by virtue of its being a tautology. You made the statement. If you're wrong or you misspoke yourself or you phrased your remark carelessly, why not just admit it and clarify yourself? Else you look unserious, like the worst trolls on this site.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 9680
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by Immanuel Can »

wtf wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:07 am I'm not provoking.
Yeah, okay.

Got anything on the actual law of identity?

If not, no thanks.
wtf
Posts: 974
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:36 pm

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by wtf »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:14 am
wtf wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:07 am I'm not provoking.
Yeah, okay.

Got anything on the actual law of identity?

If not, no thanks.
You do fine arguing with the cranks. But when someone who knows what they're talking about calls you on a false statement, you run away. Pathetic.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 9680
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by Immanuel Can »

wtf wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:27 am You do fine arguing with the cranks.
I just live for your good opinion.
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 6316
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

raw_thought wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:01 pm http://www.nizkor.com/features/fallacie ... ority.html
If you had read Wittgenstein you would have seen that contradictions are always false. A and not A cannot both be true. Can you give me an example where both A and not A are both true? You are probably confusing truth with validity. here is an argument that is true but invalid. 1. Obama was president.2. Nixon was president. 3. Therefore dogs are mammals. Here is a syllogism that is valid but false. 1. All Martians eat snakes. 2 Bob is a Martian. 3. Therefore Bob eats snakes. Yes, contradictions are invalid. But the result is always false.
I have read Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations some years ago...

As to a contradiction being true here is an example:

1. The lemon is yellow.
2. The lemon is not yellow.
3. Therefore the lemon is shades of yellow

Second all contradictions are derived from opposing, or rather disconnected truth values. An example of this would be 2+2=5. Both 2 and 5 exist as rational elements, it is their inability to connect which results in a contradiction.
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 6316
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

raw_thought wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:08 pm there is nothing wrong with appealing to authority. For example, every scientific organization in the world supports the proposition that global warming is real and we have facilitated it. Is that 100% proof ? No. But it makes the probability that global warming exists outrageously probable. However, I did not just appeal to authority. I suggested that you read more on the subject.
With Wittgenstien being referenced as an authority to the subject.
Skepdick
Posts: 5275
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by Skepdick »

raw_thought wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:08 pm You wrote, "Show me a distance between the centre and circumference that is less than 4."
Umm the dot that is diagonal from the center.
The dot that is diagonal from the center is 4 units away from the centrer.

Can you even count?
Skepdick
Posts: 5275
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by Skepdick »

raw_thought wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:10 pm OK, you are claiming that a straight line is not the shortest distance between 2 points! I disagree and so do all mathematicians.
Wow. You have an immense capability for misunderstanding.

You have it exactly backwards!

The shortest distance between two points is what we call a "straight line".

Is this line the shortest distance between the two points?
Yes it is.

Therefore , in this particular geometry (highlighted, bolded, parenthesised, stressed, accentuated, reiterated, and overly-emphasized) , this line is straight.

Mathematicians agree . You are the odd one out.
line.png
line.png (57.53 KiB) Viewed 92 times
raw_thought
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by raw_thought »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:12 am
raw_thought wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:08 pm You wrote, "Show me a distance between the centre and circumference that is less than 4."
Umm the dot that is diagonal from the center.
The dot that is diagonal from the center is 4 units away from the centrer.

Can you even count?
Sure if you take perpendicular steps BUT THAT IS NOT A RADIUS! Like I said by your "reasoning" I can say that I am 80,000 miles from New York. All I have to do is go back and forth. Look up radius, by definition it is one continuous straight line.
" a straight line extending from the center.,," FROM https://www.dictionary.com/browse/radius
raw_thought
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by raw_thought »

The blue dot is 2 segments from the other. Draw a STRAIGHT line to connect the two!
Skepdick
Posts: 5275
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by Skepdick »

raw_thought wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:17 pm Sure if you take perpendicular steps BUT THAT IS NOT A RADIUS! Like I said by your "reasoning" I can say that I am 80,000 miles from New York. All I have to do is go back and forth. Look up radius, by definition it is one continuous straight line.
" a straight line extending from the center.,," FROM https://www.dictionary.com/browse/radius
It is a radius!

in this particular geometry
Post Reply