How would you chose to die?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

The Voice of Time

Re: How would you chose to die?

Post by The Voice of Time »

Wait, "the points" you are talking about, is that actual sentences you make (in that case I'll go and see if I missed any) or is it all those links you give (in which case I'll not)? Because none of those links actually says anything but send me off on some quest to gather information I have no idea how to interpret. In the later case you might as well give me a random photo and tell me it has meaning I am supposed to know.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

The Voice of Time wrote:Wait, "the points" you are talking about, is that actual sentences you make (in that case I'll go and see if I missed any) or is it all those links you give (in which case I'll not)? Because none of those links actually says anything but send me off on some quest to gather information I have no idea how to interpret. In the later case you might as well give me a random photo and tell me it has meaning I am supposed to know.
Ah shit I don't care any more voice of time I am bored of this discussion and you are banal in your arguments. You win the internet, the Nobel prize for not answering anything ever and so on.

Fucked if I can be bothered any more, is this it, is it, is this all philosophy is now, just talking endless word wank until you win on the win board of mindless circularity, no wonder everyone thinks this medium is dead, you have most certainly killed it.

I for one will mourn philosophies passing on a viking ship sent out to see with a fire arrow embedded in its soul. :)

The pun was intended by the way. :P

Talking around in circles, not addressing anyones' arguments, claiming hence that you are more philosophically apposite; seriously in the morning go into your Professors office and shoot him in the head, you'll be doing philosophy a favour the guys a retard.
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

Well you most definitely do express you want to end the discussion there, don't deny it!

Philosophy is not just this, but on this topic, although I don't think we understand "this" to mean the same thing, I think we can say that "yes, this is what it is".

But philosophy elsewhere is also exploration and other stuff. I have a philosopher acquaintances who is somewhat good on answering situation like the one I gave you where I asked you to define "practical", but not everyone is equally good at it, but you can get very interesting explorations from it, if there's enough creativity to check the limits and opportunities that might be available.

Exploration I think is the most popular type of philosophy to read, but it's hard to engage in, so debate is more frequent as a philosophical activity. Exploration can be very fun however, at best it can give frequent "a-ha" experiences, and "so that's how it's like!" experiences or just pure fascination with the subject.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Well I have to go, but it has been loads of fun discussing this subject wiith you VoT.

:hatsoff:

I will meet with you again anon. :)
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

The Voice of Time wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:You are civilised enough to have legalised euthanasia, so you won't have to suffer.
Euthanasia is illegal in Norway. It's illegal both to kill yourself and to aid somebody else in killing themselves. The second is considered murder. And I for everyone's sake hope there's never going to be anything as horrific as euthanasia in Norway. It's absolutely not civilized, it is irrationality and anti-humanism at its extreme. Love of death is mental illness at its worst.
Just your extreme fear!
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Blaggard wrote:It's an odd question one that acknowledges that one day we all must die. But have you thought about it, have you acknowledged your fate and in doing so what way would you chose to die?

I know a morbid question but one all people must answer: how will you die and in what manner would you chose?

There are many ways to die, old age, parachute not opening, on fire jumping from the castle walls to your doom. But how do you personally envision your death? Or do you in fact envision it, have you spent a long time ignoring your fate..?
For me, old age, where my body just gives out as I sleep. Of course if I know I'm going to die, then that's a different story altogether. Then I'd prefer to live off the land, with an awesome telescope in tow, as I find the darkest place on the planet, no light pollution, with a complete star gazing guide, of course it also has to be wooded and fertile, of course I'll set up in a glade. I figure how better to both enjoy and extend ones final days, than to be surrounded with that, from which I sprang, and shall return; the real truth of the matter! Of course I'd also have natures psychedelics along, in an attempt to ride the astral plane, to possibly further open the doors of perception. And it goes without saying that it would all be accompanied by my favorite music, and most dear and loved people. :wink:
henry quirk

dumb question = dumb answer

Post by henry quirk »

How would I choose to die?

Sitting on my stoop, sippin' coffee, smokin' a cigarette, watchin' atomic mushrooms sprout on the horizon.

'Oh, Mr. Quirk, that's just awful!'

Yeah...so what?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

I would choose to die very slowly and painlessly over a very long period of time.
henry quirk

HA!

Post by henry quirk »

That, Doc, sounds like good, old-fashioned, living as it is 'now'.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

lol quite HQ. ;)
Metazoan

Post by Metazoan »

Hi Blaggard,
Blaggard wrote:It's an odd question one that acknowledges that one day we all must die.
I don't think it is an odd question, no odder than 'how would I choose to pay my taxes?' anyway.
Blaggard wrote:But have you thought about it, have you acknowledged your fate and in doing so what way would you chose to die?
Yes, and probably more than is healthy.

As a many worlder (for want of a better handle) it would seem that I get to die rather a lot. Indeed, I get to die in every way that it is possible for me to die.

Even worse, if I simply add up all the time I spend doing anything, it would appear that I spend most of that time in the throws of death.

The trouble with the many worlds view is that sometimes it is difficult to see the trees for the wood. Or do I mean the stalk for the cauliflower?

So, how would I choose to die? Simple: None of the above. Especially not the ones VoT would prefer I experience.

Sadly, the many worlds view is clearly devoid of free will (or a door) so I had better get used to the idea. I am never going to experience the death I would prefer and I am going to experience all the ones that I would prefer not to. Such is death.

It does make me wonder though, under what bizarre circumstances I get myself hung, drawn and quartered.

Time will tell.

I wasn't a many worlder until I started hanging around here. Thanks Rick :wink:

M

It doesn't matter how bizarre your interpretation of existence is; it only has to be less bizarre than God.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Religion is bizarre but I am afraid the many worlds interpretation is philosophy of science or an interpretation identical in any empirical way to Copenhagen interpretation. When it becomes the only game in town and people are spouting magical thinking like string theory, it is time to take a serious look at your wardrobe and ponder a trip to Narnia. ;)

I say prove that there are infinite universes and it is not a path integral of all possible waves? And then we will discuss whether or not you are going to die and how in all of these currently fictional places.

Nothing surpasses the absurdity of God not even pseudo scientific sophistry based on interpretation issues. ;)

Oh and incidentally if many worlds was true it would mean you have free will, at least libertarian free will any way. :P

If all paths exist and no path is more likely that is by definition libertarian free will, is it freedom of will though? Maybe depends on your interpretation...

MWI is local and real if that were true then quantum mechanics is an illusion of concept and experiment, which rather makes all human technology redundant, and means all experiment is merely exploring our fantasies with bias and cognition issues as well as memory and vision issues. I'd I think prefer to believe the wave function in non real and non local personally that way indeterminism is preserved at the micro level and macro level and free will is possible, but each to their own. There's a trend in modern philosophy I call post post modernism a sort of reaction to science in a negative way at any level institutional or individual though so most people like Dennet et al are subscribers to the compatibilist position.

Entropy is a macro process that is not reversible in time, memory storage is DNA methylisation, DNA locates gene sequences not classically but it seems to know where to look already as demostrated in a series of experiments by NASA, showing that DNA and life appear to have beaten us to the first quantum computer. ;)

To put that in science gibberish DNA enzymes use quantum mechanics at the molecule level to more rapidly locate gene sequences for replication.

If evolution has favoured us not to see reality as it is, then there's probably an adaption issue with reality being indeterministic. After all if we looked at the atom carbon through an electron microscope we see this:

A cloud of electrons not a little particle whizzing around.

Ie not this:

Felasco

Post by Felasco »

This thread jumped out at me because just a few days ago I came across a dying deer while hiking in the woods and sat with it for the last few hours of it's life.

It was a peaceful passing, a beautiful setting, and absolutely perfect weather. A chilly morning, nice little breeze dancing through the top of the pines, under a big blue sky.

A fine way to go, if you don't mind the buzzards feasting on you after you're gone, and coyotes dragging your half eaten carcass in to the deep bush. Hey, saves on funeral expenses! :-)
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Quickly and unexpectedly, and of course in the middle of an orgasm while on X.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Felasco post_id=164199 time=1396226364 user_id=8408]
This thread jumped out at me because just a few days ago I came across a dying deer while hiking in the woods and sat with it for the last few hours of it's life.

It was a peaceful passing, a beautiful setting, and absolutely perfect weather. A chilly morning, nice little breeze dancing through the top of the pines, under a big blue sky.

A fine way to go, if you don't mind the buzzards feasting on you after you're gone, and coyotes dragging your half eaten carcass in to the deep bush. Hey, saves on funeral expenses! :-)
[/quote]

If you sat with a dying creature for hours you're a sadistic p****. Only unless you didn't know it was dying, but healthy deer don't just lie around. Either way, you didn't help alleviate it's suffering, you fucking asshole.