Can a christian be a stoic?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

cicero117

Can a christian be a stoic?

Post by cicero117 »

I'm asking this because I myself am a Christian but I find stoicism philosophy fascinating and quite applicable, what do you think?
attofishpi

Re: Can a christian be a stoic?

Post by attofishpi »

cicero117 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:27 am I'm asking this because I myself am a Christian but I find stoicism philosophy fascinating and quite applicable, what do you think?
I think like a fish to a bait.

What is applicable here as a Christian? Christ not enough?

Do abate. :evil:

Post by Age »

cicero117 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:27 am I'm asking this because I myself am a Christian but I find stoicism philosophy fascinating and quite applicable, what do you think?
You can NOT be a christian and a stoic.
cicero117

Post by cicero117 »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:28 am

Not entirely a full stoic but adopt the ways of stoic, don't you think both views are really similar? And stoicism in not considered a religion, it's an idea.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Christianity seems to be a flexible religious practice. Everyone who ever looks to the Bible for guidance always finds out that God agrees with him already, even if he is directly opposing the views of another theologian with whom God already agrees.

Compared to having a God who insists both on charitable good works and letting him who will not work starve, it should be fairly trivial to incorporate the major themes of stoicism into a Christian world view. Once you have completed the primary task of looking at parables and finding analogues in the writings of Seneca, the rest of the job is simply to discard any irreconcilable chaff with a note that it simply represents the modes of thought common among pre-christian oafs.

For additional detail and guidance, you could check out how Aquinas did that sort of thing.
https://muse.jhu.edu/book/58861
cicero117

Post by cicero117 »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:10 pm
Christianity seems to be a flexible religious practice. Everyone who ever looks to the Bible for guidance always finds out that God agrees with him already, even if he is directly opposing the views of another theologian with whom God already agrees.

Compared to having a God who insists both on charitable good works and letting him who will not work starve, it should be fairly trivial to incorporate the major themes of stoicism into a Christian world view. Once you have completed the primary task of looking at parables and finding analogues in the writings of Seneca, the rest of the job is simply to discard any irreconcilable chaff with a note that it simply represents the modes of thought common among pre-christian oafs.

For additional detail and guidance, you could check out how Aquinas did that sort of thing.
https://muse.jhu.edu/book/58861
thanks, this is really enlightening!
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

christianity aside, if you have a very large storage area, you can be a much better stoic...

-Imp
Eyeon

Post by Eyeon »

I want to say that Christianity and Stoicism are similar in that they both idealize the aesthetic lifestyle (the notion of the divine in nature).
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:28 am

I am an IDIOT. I think I must have been rather drunk when I wrote this - I take it all back! I think I read the definition of Stoic and thought it was those morons that wip themselves and crucify themselves!!

I just looked it up on WIKI and definitely a Christian SHOULD be a stoic!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:10 am
Who is going to stop him.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:11 pm
Oh no Harbal, never rattle its cage.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:27 pm
If you really don't want me to rattle the cage, telling me not to is the last thing you should do. :)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:31 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:27 pm

If you really don't want me to rattle the cage, telling me not to is the last thing you should do. :)
Ok then, don't inject it with a lethal dose of heroin.

Post by Age »

Logic, Itself.

One can NOT be two completely separate different things, at the EXACT SAME time.

The other reason is; What a "christian" actually IS, and, what a "stoic" actually IS could NOT be defined and AGREED UPON. So, logically, AGAIN, the 'you' can NOT be a "christian" and a "stoic". Unless of course this can be proven WRONG and 'you', human beings do actually come together (peacefully?) and AGREE UPON what a "christian" and a "stoic" IS.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Age wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:43 am

Logic, Itself.

One can NOT be two completely separate different things, at the EXACT SAME time.

The other reason is; What a "christian" actually IS, and, what a "stoic" actually IS could NOT be defined and AGREED UPON. So, logically, AGAIN, the 'you' can NOT be a "christian" and a "stoic". Unless of course this can be proven WRONG and 'you', human beings do actually come together (peacefully?) and AGREE UPON what a "christian" and a "stoic" IS.
(FFS Harbal!)

Stoicism is a philosophical consideration, Christianity is a theistic faith as well as a philosophical consideration, the two have NO contradiction.

Christ was stoic.

As a Christian myself, and reading about Stoicism on WIKI, I see myself as Christian stoic.

Please explain where the teachings of Christ and Stoicism contradict each other.