What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4460
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:43 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:55 am
Sculptor wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:43 am

I asked you if my list does not represent "true philosophers", then who IS a true philosopher.
Can't you answer?
Are you asking for an actual person or my reasoning as to what constitutes a true philosopher?
Since you think you know what a "true philosopher". I'd like you to give an example and say why you think that person has qualities that the long list of philosophers above do not.
Sure. This is your big 'gotcha' chance - since U are the great o wise student of 'philosophy'.

Christopher Clavius

1. Not an atheist (has an actual love of wisdom)
2. Someone that pursued and attained knowledge within his abilities.
User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4359
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:33 pm I don't think you are quite getting this - HE WAS WARNED.
So he was warned but he still did it anyway; what's your point?
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4460
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:06 pm
attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:33 pm I don't think you are quite getting this - HE WAS WARNED.
So he was warned but he still did it anyway; what's your point?
The point? Beyond being so disgusting to innocent children...that some people are so foolish to risk their soul away, that there ARE consequences beyond any judgement a man can lay upon a man.

Man's ""justice"" is JUST_ICE

HELL_O
User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4359
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:15 pm The point? Beyond being so disgusting to innocent children...that some people are so foolish to risk their soul away, that there ARE consequences beyond any judgement a man can lay upon a man.
But he may not believe there are consequences beyond the judgement of his fellow man, and he may well be correct about that.

If I warn you not to leave your home tomorrow, because if you do, your trousers will fall down in full view of many onlookers, you would probably ignore my warning. If you then did leave your home, and your trousers did fall down, you may well wish you had taken heed of my warning, but no one could accuse you of being unwise for not doing so.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 2339
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:57 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:43 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:55 am

Are you asking for an actual person or my reasoning as to what constitutes a true philosopher?
Since you think you know what a "true philosopher". I'd like you to give an example and say why you think that person has qualities that the long list of philosophers above do not.
Sure. This is your big 'gotcha' chance - since U are the great o wise student of 'philosophy'.

Christopher Clavius

1. Not an atheist (has an actual love of wisdom)
2. Someone that pursued and attained knowledge within his abilities.
Sorry you are wrong. Faith in God immediately dismisses anyone from being a true philosopher since they have already dismissed reason and knowledge seeking.

You are confusing Theology with Philosophy.
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4460
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:33 pm
attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:57 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:43 am

Since you think you know what a "true philosopher". I'd like you to give an example and say why you think that person has qualities that the long list of philosophers above do not.
Sure. This is your big 'gotcha' chance - since U are the great o wise student of 'philosophy'.

Christopher Clavius

1. Not an atheist (has an actual love of wisdom)
2. Someone that pursued and attained knowledge within his abilities.
Sorry you are wrong. Faith in God immediately dismisses anyone from being a true philosopher since they have already dismissed reason and knowledge seeking.
It's ok, you don't have to apologise every time you are irrational.

How is NOT being an atheist dismissing reason and knowledge seeking?
User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4359
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:44 pm
It's ok, you don't have to apologise every time you are irrational.
Actually, he was not being irrational; in fact, he hit the nail right on the head: Philosophy is about arriving at conclusions based on evidence and strict rationality, and definitely not about accepting things on faith. There is no evidence, nor any rational argument, that could reasonably justify a claim that God certainly exists, therefore it is not irrational to disbelieve in God's existence. I suppose that, under the terms of philosophy, neither could you assert that God doesn't exist. We can't help having our own private opinion on God's existence, but for the sake of harmony, it would be better if our public position was "don't know".
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4460
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by attofishpi »

Duh - Pay attention, this is NOT an argument as to the validity of whether God exists or not.
I really thought you did have a modicum of rational thought somewhere in that cavity between your ears Harbal.

How is NOT being an atheist dismissing reason and knowledge seeking?
User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4359
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:27 pm Duh - I really thought you did have a modicum of rational thought somewhere in that cavity between your ears Harbal.

How is NOT being an atheist dismissing reason and knowledge seeking?

That's not exactly what I said, Fish Pie. Let me put it this way: As philosophers, we can only discus God in a hypothetical sense, as philosophy is neither capable of proving his existence, nor disproving it. I don't think that being an atheist or a theist makes any difference to one's ability to be a "proper Philosopher", but those factors will inevitably get in the way of good philosophical practice when the subject under scrutiny is God.
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4460
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by attofishpi »

FFS. Read what was stated. You AGREED with Sculptor on that enlarged statement.

...sometimes I think I might as well be arguing with the wombles.
User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4359
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:45 pm ...sometimes I think I might as well be arguing with the wombles.
In as far as getting someone to agree with you, you are probably right. :)
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4460
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:50 pm
attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:45 pm ...sometimes I think I might as well be arguing with the wombles.
In as far as getting someone to agree with you, you are probably right. :)
...you real eyes they recycle old people, and not in a nice way. :)
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 2339
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:44 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:33 pm
attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:57 pm

Sure. This is your big 'gotcha' chance - since U are the great o wise student of 'philosophy'.

Christopher Clavius

1. Not an atheist (has an actual love of wisdom)
2. Someone that pursued and attained knowledge within his abilities.
Sorry you are wrong. Faith in God immediately dismisses anyone from being a true philosopher since they have already dismissed reason and knowledge seeking.
It's ok, you don't have to apologise every time you are irrational.

How is NOT being an atheist dismissing reason and knowledge seeking?
If you were smarter you'd know.
I can't waste my time on you.
You are a lost cause.
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4460
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:50 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:44 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:33 pm

Sorry you are wrong. Faith in God immediately dismisses anyone from being a true philosopher since they have already dismissed reason and knowledge seeking.
It's ok, you don't have to apologise every time you are irrational.

How is NOT being an atheist dismissing reason and knowledge seeking?
If you were smarter you'd know.
I can't waste my time on you.
You are a lost cause.
Oh, the irony from my POV. (there is another thread for ad hominems btw.)

Now here is Wisdom.

Two men, on par with intelligence and knowledge:
Man A = atheist
Man B = theist

Indeed the ONLY difference between the two with regard to their reasoning and pursuit of knowledge is that Man B understands that it is wise to believe that there is a God and live his life accordingly, knowing that there may be consequences beyond man's 'justice', indeed, there may be the POSSIBILITY of greater insight.

Which of the two men has the POTENTIAL for greater knowledge?

WHICH ONE IS THE WISER OF THE TWO?
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 2339
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:24 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:50 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:44 pm

It's ok, you don't have to apologise every time you are irrational.

How is NOT being an atheist dismissing reason and knowledge seeking?
If you were smarter you'd know.
I can't waste my time on you.
You are a lost cause.
Oh, the irony from my POV. (there is another thread for ad hominems btw.)
Please refer to the Internet for a definition of ad hominem.
Post Reply