Trump - a puzzling enigma

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

seeds
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by seeds »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:06 pm
Atla wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:12 pm Still not as bad as the GW Bush presidency. That's when the US truly lost its spirit, not with Trump, who is just a clown, a symptom.
I agree that GW Bush was also a destructive idiot who had no business being president, and I couldn't even look at him or listen to him. But I think both of these characters have been extraordinarily bad for us in different ways. There doesn't have to be a conclusion of who is worse. That's like asking what's worse: a tornado or an earthquake? Tremendous damage has been done due to the toxicity of what we have become.
I suggest that the G.W. Bush administration drove the final nail in the coffin of America.

What I mean is that in “karmic” terms, it (America) was already on its way down the toilet from what it was about to reap from all of its dastardly imperialistic (oil and resource-grabbing) treachery around the world.

However, when the Bush administration...

(with all of its trumped-up lies about Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction, along with Bush and Cheney's attempts to associate Iraq with the events of 911)

...declared war on Iraq, it did so with an open assertion of it being a purely “preemptive” move on another country because of what that country “might” - (that’s “MIGHT”) - do to us in the future.

And it was at that moment when the illusion of America’s feigned façade of being sort of a “good guy” (as in reactive/come to the rescue) protector and promoter of righteousness on earth (tentatively established in World War 2), officially ended.

Now I am not saying that America wasn’t already an imperialistically aggressive nation prior to that point. However, by declaring, again, a “preemptive” war on another country,...

(for obvious [oil-grabbing] reasons)

...America openly shifted from being a “covert” aggressor to an “overt” aggressor who no longer finds it necessary to mask its intentions.

And, again, all thanks to the G.W. Bush administration.

Now I don’t mean to be overly dramatic about this, but the “thing” that is currently in charge of running America, is simply the result of the necrotizing processes of America’s bad karma continuing to run its course.

As I had suggested in an alternate thread, Donald Trump is a living breathing caricature of what American culture has evolved into (characterized by greed, hedonism, and narcissism), and therefore is a perfect representative for America’s present ethos.
_______
commonsense
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by commonsense »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:58 pm
Nick_A wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:29 pm
Lacewing wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:23 pm
"God fearing" is an absurd concept, don't you think?
Fear of losing God to the Goud of the Great Beast is a justifiable concern
That's not what god-fearing means. But of course that doesn't stop you from dishonestly and liberally distorting things in service to your inane agenda/platform -- and any chance to talk about the Great Beast you love to hate to love.
God-fearing means fearing God, and it means nothing about God losing anything to anyone. To fear God is to fear God’s wrath. It indeed seems absurd that you would fear a God who loves you.
Nick_A
Posts: 5333
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by Nick_A »

commonsense wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:32 pm
Lacewing wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:58 pm
Nick_A wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:29 pm

Fear of losing God to the Goud of the Great Beast is a justifiable concern
That's not what god-fearing means. But of course that doesn't stop you from dishonestly and liberally distorting things in service to your inane agenda/platform -- and any chance to talk about the Great Beast you love to hate to love.
God-fearing means fearing God, and it means nothing about God losing anything to anyone. To fear God is to fear God’s wrath. It indeed seems absurd that you would fear a God who loves you.

Commonsense and lacewing

Christianity as opposed to Christendom doesn't have a personal God. We are concerned with the Son.

Fear of God for me is losing my my vertical awareness of the God/Man connection and sink back into arguing the dualistic concerns of the world.
User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4359
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:05 pm Fear of God for me is losing my my vertical awareness
Which leads to a tendency to bang your head on things, which in turn would account for the content of your posts.
commonsense
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by commonsense »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:05 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:32 pm
Lacewing wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:58 pm
That's not what god-fearing means. But of course that doesn't stop you from dishonestly and liberally distorting things in service to your inane agenda/platform -- and any chance to talk about the Great Beast you love to hate to love.
God-fearing means fearing God, and it means nothing about God losing anything to anyone. To fear God is to fear God’s wrath. It indeed seems absurd that you would fear a God who loves you.

Commonsense and lacewing

Christianity as opposed to Christendom doesn't have a personal God. We are concerned with the Son.

Fear of God for me is losing my my vertical awareness of the God/Man connection and sink back into arguing the dualistic concerns of the world.
So you’re saying that fear = losing. I disagree.
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4169
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:46 pm I like the way he allows people enough rope to hang themselves with... :wink:
Do you also like the way you make up crazy ass shit to believe your story? :wink:
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4169
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:44 pm so: your sources are spare and clipped; you rely on the opinions of others
Do you know Trump personally, or do you rely on what you're told?

Whatever you think you're informed about is skewed and delusional and has a likewise agenda.
henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:44 pm why should I take you seriously, not only on ORANGE MAN, on anything?
Exactly because I'm not intoxicated with, and feeding on, orange goo... or religious goo... or any other kind of goo that fearful followers feed on.
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4169
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by Lacewing »

seeds wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:46 pm Now I don’t mean to be overly dramatic about this, but the “thing” that is currently in charge of running America, is simply the result of the necrotizing processes of America’s bad karma continuing to run its course.

As I had suggested in an alternate thread, Donald Trump is a living breathing caricature of what American culture has evolved into (characterized by greed, hedonism, and narcissism), and therefore is a perfect representative for America’s present ethos.
Your entire post is wonderfully described.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 9323
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by henry quirk »

Do you know Trump personally, or do you rely on what you're told?

pay attention: when I watch ORANGE MAN (or smokin' joe) on c-span, I see him, hear him, in his entirety...there are no clips or bites or cutaways or commercials or commentary...no one can make Trump (or smokin' joe) appear to be other than what he is...no one tells me anything on c-span

you, however, rely solely on clips and edits and commentary: why are you credible?


Whatever you think you're informed about is skewed and delusional and has a likewise agenda.

c-span's agenda is unedited presentation of the news...they actually do reporting

my agenda is the same as always: to keep the jackboots offa my neck...ORANGE MAN is an instrument in that


Exactly because I'm not intoxicated with, and feeding on, orange goo... or religious goo... or any other kind of goo that fearful followers feed on.

you pretend you're independent, but you're comfortable bein' told things...can't have it both ways, lace
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4169
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:05 pm Commonsense and lacewing

Christianity as opposed to Christendom doesn't have a personal God. We are concerned with the Son.

Fear of God for me is losing my my vertical awareness of the God/Man connection and sink back into arguing the dualistic concerns of the world.
I don't care, Nick. You distort things to serve yourself continually, so you have very little credibility about anything anymore. Like Henry, whatever clarity of discernment you may have possessed for moments in the past, it has been dissolved away by your current intoxication -- and you are not able to stop feeding from it long enough to see anything beyond it. So, drink up! You are free to be a blind follower and saturate yourself with poison.
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4169
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:41 am you, however, rely solely on clips and edits and commentary: why are you credible?
No, I don't. Are you not aware of how much information/awareness there is to draw from BEYOND anything televised?

PAY FUCKING ATTENTION. It's not that hard to see with your own eyes. If C-SPAN didn't exist, would you be clueless?
henry quirk wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:41 am you pretend you're independent, but you're comfortable bein' told things...can't have it both ways, lace
I'm not pretending anything. It's my nature to question and challenge pretty much everything to one degree or another. I have broken and changed all kinds of rules. I don't follow anybody. I don't have to wade through an entire garbage dump to know that it's full of garbage. Stop thinking that you are so righteously well-informed. You're intoxicated! You've shown that by how skewed your posts are.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 9323
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by henry quirk »

I don't care, Nick.

then why should he (or I) waste time on you?

you aren't even a you: a mouthpiece, a useful idiot, a tool

:shrug:

to each his own
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 9323
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:55 am
henry quirk wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:41 am you, however, rely solely on clips and edits and commentary: why are you credible?
No, I don't. Are you not aware of how much information/awareness there is to draw from BEYOND anything televised?

PAY FUCKING ATTENTION. It's not that hard to see with your own eyes. If C-SPAN didn't exist, would you be clueless?
henry quirk wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:41 am you pretend you're independent, but you're comfortable bein' told things...can't have it both ways, lace
I'm not pretending anything. It's my nature to question and challenge pretty much everything to one degree or another. I have broken and changed all kinds of rules. I don't follow anybody. I don't have to wade through an entire garbage dump to know that it's full of garbage. Stop thinking that you are so righteously well-informed. You're intoxicated! You've shown that by how skewed your posts are.
I don't care, lace.
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4169
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by Lacewing »

Harbal wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:13 pm
Nick_A wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:05 pm Fear of God for me is losing my my vertical awareness
Which leads to a tendency to bang your head on things, which in turn would account for the content of your posts.
:lol:

Shouldn't we appreciate awareness in any position?
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4169
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:56 am I don't care, lace.
Then stop asking me questions.
Post Reply