Trump - a puzzling enigma

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by Lacewing »

commonsense wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:07 pm I think I did pretty well at asserting my points, considering Hank baited me and then was only able to make some mealy-mouthed responses.
You did... and that's what he does.
Lacewing

Re: two questions...

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:18 pm If you oppose ORANGE MAN: what would he have to do to win your support?

If you support ORANGE MAN: what would he have to do to make you oppose him?
Where's your answer to your own question, Henry?

For me to see Trump as an honorable and self-aware human being, he would need to have an unquestionable awakening of his own dishonest and mentally unbalanced character, and then start speaking in complete intelligible sentences and demonstrate that he is a president for all people, rather than pitting groups against each other like a complete and utter chaotic fool who seeks only to bolster his own glory and dictatorship.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:04 pm
For me to see Trump as an honorable and self-aware human being,
Best not to be too ambitious; just start by trying to see him as a human being. :)

How are you?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

commonsense wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:57 pm As you know, I at one time explained the attitude and behavior of Trump the Schlump’s supporters on the basis of fear. I think my comments then were congruous with Harper West’s analysis you quoted.

It’s a fear of being found out, or fear of accountability that drives other blamers who support the Schlump. A diminished ability to learn abets a susceptibility to propaganda.
Agreed. Fear makes fools out of otherwise intelligent people. Fear of gods... fear of propaganda... fear of having lived a life of foolishness... fear of having been wrong all along -- drives people to violent denial. They would rather kill than face a greater truth beyond their stories of fear. And it's all so unnecessary to fear and avoid. Because facing greater truths leads to more empowerment and ability and potential. Dropping the rigidly-held stories and ego positions/identities (or at least easing up on them) expands the world and reality. The "greater" is beyond our control and it's unknown. That may seem unimaginable and unacceptable for some... and yet, isn't it totally obvious and logical? :lol: So, to accept it and marvel in it and practice flowing with it ALLOWS that which is greater to demonstrate connectivity and manifestation from that, as opposed to it being obstructed and distorted by small-minded and controlling rigidity and denial.

To a great extent, religions and wanna-be-gods/prophets/sages claim to be based on platforms of greatness while actually obstructing greatness with fear and self-indulgent ego. The pretense of being and doing the exact opposite of what is actually being done -- is reflected in so many human endeavors and delusions. It is a toxic disease of dishonesty and distortion that perpetuates and feeds on itself. The truth of flowing with that which is greater sets us free.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Harbal wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:14 pm
Lacewing wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:04 pm
For me to see Trump as an honorable and self-aware human being,
Best not to be too ambitious; just start by trying to see him as a human being. :)

How are you?
:lol: Yes...I can dream of the seemingly unimaginable at times.

Hello dear friend. So nice to see you! I am very well. I hope you are too! We must try to find humor and insight amidst the madness, as much as possible, yes?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:46 pm We must try to find humor and insight amidst the madness, as much as possible, yes?
We don't need to try very hard to find it here, and it always seems all the funnier for being mostly unintentional. :)
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Harbal wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:57 pm
Lacewing wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:46 pm We must try to find humor and insight amidst the madness, as much as possible, yes?
We don't need to try very hard to find it here, and it always seems all the funnier for being mostly unintentional. :)
Very true. This forum is a place I come to laugh. Miss your insightful and provoking humor. I hope you will stick around. As usual, the balance seems tipped toward the serious and insane.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:40 pm
Agreed. Fear makes fools out of otherwise intelligent people. Fear of gods... fear of propaganda... fear of having lived a life of foolishness... fear of having been wrong all along -- drives people to violent denial. They would rather kill than face a greater truth beyond their stories of fear. And it's all so unnecessary to fear and avoid. Because facing greater truths leads to more empowerment and ability and potential. Dropping the rigidly-held stories and ego positions/identities (or at least easing up on them) expands the world and reality. The "greater" is beyond our control and it's unknown. That may seem unimaginable and unacceptable for some... and yet, isn't it totally obvious and logical? :lol: So, to accept it and marvel in it and practice flowing with it ALLOWS that which is greater to demonstrate connectivity and manifestation from that, as opposed to it being obstructed and distorted by small-minded and controlling rigidity and denial.

To a great extent, religions and wanna-be-gods/prophets/sages claim to be based on platforms of greatness while actually obstructing greatness with fear and self-indulgent ego. The pretense of being and doing the exact opposite of what is actually being done -- is reflected in so many human endeavors and delusions. It is a toxic disease of dishonesty and distortion that perpetuates and feeds on itself. The truth of flowing with that which is greater sets us free.
Well put. Thanks.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:09 pm I hope you will stick around.
Well I just got evicted from my usual forum, so there is a good chance that I will.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Harbal wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:42 pm
Lacewing wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:09 pm I hope you will stick around.
Well I just got evicted from my usual forum, so there is a good chance that I will.
:lol: Terrific!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:44 pm
:lol: Terrific!
I didn't think it was terrific when it happened, but I think I was ready for a change. :)
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Harbal wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:49 pm I didn't think it was terrific when it happened, but I think I was ready for a change. :)
You will find a bounty of idiotic statements to comment on in this forum. Perhaps your sudden redirection was divine intervention.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Where's your answer to your own question, Henry?

Didn't give one yet.

For me to see Trump as an honorable and self-aware human being, he would need to have an unquestionable awakening of his own dishonest and mentally unbalanced character, and then start speaking in complete intelligible sentences and demonstrate that he is a president for all people, rather than pitting groups against each other like a complete and utter chaotic fool who seeks only to bolster his own glory and dictatorship.

Okay.

I know you won't, but: if you'd view the unedited material (interviews, addresses, pressers, etc) on C-Span your view of ORANGE MAN might shift a bit.
henry quirk

take a gander...

Post by henry quirk »