What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Harbal »

commonsense wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:02 pm
I believe there’s a spiritual or immaterial world. I just don’t know whether there’s a God ruling over it.
I wouldn't know; I'm neither spiritual nor religious.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

commonsense wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:02 pm I believe there’s a spiritual or immaterial world. I just don’t know whether there’s a God ruling over it.
It only has to be in one place to be real.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Dubious wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:29 pm
commonsense wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:02 pm I believe there’s a spiritual or immaterial world. I just don’t know whether there’s a God ruling over it.
Yes, more than one place isn’t necessary. It just has to be real to be real.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

commonsense wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:01 pm
No, it just has to be anchored unconditionally in your mind to be real. Extreme examples of that are insanity and theism.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Dubious wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:55 am

No, it just has to be anchored unconditionally in your mind to be real. Extreme examples of that are insanity and theism.
Anchored in your mind = real? What are delusions if not false, fixed beliefs?

Insanity and theism = real? Insanity is a break from reality. What does that make theism?
Last edited by commonsense on Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

commonsense wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:03 am
Dubious wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:55 am

Anchored in your mind = real? What are delusions if not fade, fixed beliefs?

Insanity and theism = real? Insanity is a break from reality. What does that make theism?

Not much different except that the break from reality is intentional.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:15 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:37 am
Sculptor wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:13 am
A clear and obvious croc of sh1t.
Wisodom comes from knowing the limits of belief, and that means that THeist are all idiots.
No. Wisdom comes from having belief. An atheist will never be a sage.
Sculptor wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:13 am You mean like David Hume, Russell, Heidegger, Deleueze, Schopenauer, Nietzsche, Satre, Albert Camus, Derrida, Dewey, Diderot, Rorty, Santayana, Serle, Singer, Feuerbach, Bagini, Bentham, De Bauvoir... etc, etc...
Atheists i presume. A bunch of thinkers at best, certainly not philosophers by the true meaning of the term 'philosophy'.
LOL.
That just about puts the cherry on the top of the cake.
None of the above are true philosopher!!
Ha!
and who is a true philosopher?
Clearly someone that loves wisdom, but further, someone that understands that love is wise.

On the former point above, someone that refuses to acknowledge the fact that they know little in relation to state of nature, reality, consciousness and insist that atheism is the default rational position is not someone that loves wisdom.

The latter point I added above is tantamount to folly IF there is no God.

You have studied philosophy, pick a theist philosopher that you have the highest regard for, i'd be interested if you have any.

If you pick Andrew Seas I'll be flattered. :mrgreen:
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:25 am
attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:37 am

No. Wisdom comes from having belief. An atheist will never be a sage.

Atheists i presume. A bunch of thinkers at best, certainly not philosophers by the true meaning of the term 'philosophy'.
LOL.
Ha!
Clearly someone that loves wisdom, but further, someone that understands that love is wise.

On the former point above, someone that refuses to acknowledge the fact that they know little in relation to state of nature, reality, consciousness and insist that atheism is the default rational position is not someone that loves wisdom.

You have studied philosophy, pick a theist philosopher that you have the highest regard for, i'd be interested if you have any.

I asked you if my list does not represent "true philosophers", then who IS a true philosopher.
Can't you answer?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:43 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:25 am
LOL.
Ha!

I asked you if my list does not represent "true philosophers", then who IS a true philosopher.
Can't you answer?
Are you asking for an actual person or my reasoning as to what constitutes a true philosopher?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

...whilst Sculptor is allowing tumbleweed to roll, it never ceases to amaze me when I watch true crime docos just how certain some atheists are, that only man can ever be their ultimate judge.

DUMB FUCKS.

I enjoy bacon and many a beast...666 for eternity...yum yum :twisted:

..well, sage tells me to teach.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:49 pm it never ceases to amaze me when I watch true crime docos just how certain some atheists are, that only man will ever be their ultimate judge.
Well why would anyone ever think otherwise, unless they were told, and they believed what they were told. Do you always believe everything you are told?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:00 pm
attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:49 pm it never ceases to amaze me when I watch true crime docos just how certain some atheists are, that only man will ever be their ultimate judge.
Well why would anyone ever think otherwise, unless they were told, and they believed what they were told. Do you always believe everything you are told?
Let's get things into perspective Mr Harbal. Some guy gets kicks out of raping and killing children.

Was this guy warned at any time in his existence about God? ...odds R YES.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:49 pm ...whilst Sculptor is allowing tumbleweed to roll, it never ceases to amaze me when I watch true crime docos just how certain some atheists are, that only man can ever be their ultimate judge.

DUMB FUCKS.

I enjoy bacon and many a beast...666 for eternity...yum yum :twisted:

..well, sage tells me to teach.
Since you think you know what a "true philosopher". I'd like you to give an example and say why you think that person has qualities that the long list of philosophers above do not.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:05 pm
Let's get things into perspective Mr Harbal. Some guy gets kicks out of raping and killing children.

So what? There's no obvious conclusion to draw from that, but there are a variety possibilities as to why he is able to do what he does despite his being made aware of what God would make of it.

Maybe he believes in God, but does it anyway. Perhaps he can rationalise his acts in such a way that he doesn't see them as "sin". If Catholic priests can get round the problem, I'm sure the man (paedophile) in the street can.

Maybe he does see it as a sin against God, but can't help himself, and lives a life of guilt and self loathing.

He might believe in a God that doesn't object to that sort of thing. As we know, beliefs about God can be very flexible.

Maybe he's a Satanist, and is on the opposite team to God's. I have been assured (on another forum) that Satanists do this kind of thing all the time.

Perhaps he just doesn't believe in God, so God simply doesn't come into it.

I could carry on if I could be bothered, but I can't see the relevance of your example to the matter of wisdom and atheism.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:29 pm
attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:05 pm

Perhaps he just doesn't believe in God, so God simply doesn't come into it.
I don't think you are quite getting this - HE WAS WARNED.
Harbal wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:29 pm
I could carry on if I could be bothered, but I can't see the relevance of your example to the matter of wisdom and atheism.
I agree.
Last edited by attofishpi on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.