Trump - a puzzling enigma

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by henry quirk »

PeteJ wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:44 pm Here's one view of the strange phenomena that is Trump's support. https://www.vox.com/2020/9/2/21409364/t ... ket-newtab
Trump became the third president impeached by the House of Representatives

Badge of honor considerin' who pushed for trial. Also, impeachment is indictment, not conviction.

America assassinated Iranian general Qassem Soleimani

Yep, took out another garbage person: :thumbsup:

more than 200,000 Americans died from the disease caused by the novel coronavirus

Roughly ten thousand folks probably died from beer virus (certainly no more than thirty thousand); a few thousand more died with beer virus (actually dyin' cuz of other things); a few thousand died from other things, were presumed to have kicked from beer virus, but were never actually confirmed to be infected.

the unemployment rate rose from 3.7 percent to 10.2 percent

Prior to beer virus: unemployment was at a record low. Now, five months into beer virus, unemployment is creepin' down again.

the US banned incoming travel from Europe, China, and Brazil

But isn't what you're supposed to in a pandemic?

an estimated 12 million people lost health insurance coverage

Probably. Of course, they only had it by way of the ACA, which is to say: they shoulda never had it in the first place.

Trump pardoned Roger Stone, who was facing jail time for dirty tricks on the president’s behalf

Yep. Prez gets to do that. Personally, that's a power I'd like nullified.

George Floyd’s murder sparked a nationwide movement protesting for racial justice

Nope. That wastrel's death was an excuse for useful idiots to start shit on behalf of slavers.

to which officials responded by tear-gassing demonstrators in Lafayette Park in Washington, DC, so Trump could pose for a photograph holding a Bible.

If tear gas was used, there was a reason, sumthin' more substantial than a photo op. And: wasn't that photo op before the wastrel's death?
Last edited by henry quirk on Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I think I did pretty well at asserting my points, considering Hank baited me and then was only able to make some mealy-mouthed responses.

I don't, and that's why you got mocked (with facts).
henry quirk

two questions...

Post by henry quirk »

If you oppose ORANGE MAN: what would he have to do to win your support?

If you support ORANGE MAN: what would he have to do to make you oppose him?
commonsense

Re: two questions...

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:18 pm If you oppose ORANGE MAN: what would he have to do to win your support?

I would support him in resigning from office and turning the presidency over to Pence. In that case, I could believe that Trump finally gets it.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

A question, not a fact.
A conjecture, not a fact.
Some musings, not facts.
And an opinion, not a fact.

Here are the “facts” that Henry says he used to mock me:
henry quirk wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:18 pm
How do you know he hasn't hasn't commented about those things, in the way you think he should?

He might have if Birx & Fauci hadn't been all over the map with their recommendations.

And UV, don't forget about his musings about UV. Thing is: disinfectants and UV are actually bein' looked at, by scientists, as a means of treatment.

...the list is endless...you just can't be bothered to actually list anything.
henry quirk

Re: two questions...

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:35 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:18 pm If you oppose ORANGE MAN: what would he have to do to win your support?

I would support him in resigning from office and turning the presidency over to Pence. In that case, I could believe that Trump finally gets it.
okay

anyone else, either question?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:46 pm A question, not a fact.
A conjecture, not a fact.
Some musings, not facts.
And an opinion, not a fact.

Here are the “facts” that Henry says he used to mock me:
henry quirk wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:18 pm
How do you know he hasn't hasn't commented about those things, in the way you think he should?

He might have if Birx & Fauci hadn't been all over the map with their recommendations.

And UV, don't forget about his musings about UV. Thing is: disinfectants and UV are actually bein' looked at, by scientists, as a means of treatment.

...the list is endless...you just can't be bothered to actually list anything.
point taken
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

It seems to me the world has gone mad for it seems some folks believe that Trump is defending democracy. Truth has a habit of being stranger than fiction. I give up. There's no accounting for human beliefs.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Joe Biden has been endorsed by 81 Nobel Laureates.

Trump the Schlump has been endorsed by the pillow guy.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

"The Establisment Strikes Back" is now appearing in your neighborhood.

Donald Trump, alias Luke Skywalker, represents the defense of the eterrnal values America was founded upon which sustain liberty. Joe Biden, alias Darth Vadar represents the greed of the establishment and its pursuit of temporary values by any means including destruction of the eternal values in the human mind.

A truly epic battle. May the force be with Donld Trump.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:58 pm "The Establisment Strikes Back" is now appearing in your neighborhood.

Donald Trump, alias Luke Skywalker, represents the defense of the eterrnal values America was founded upon which sustain liberty. Joe Biden, alias Darth Vadar represents the greed of the establishment and its pursuit of temporary values by any means including destruction of the eternal values in the human mind.

A truly epic battle. May the force be with Donld Trump.
When I was a child, I used to read about an imaginary place in Superman comic books called “Bizarro World.”

According to Wiki:
Wiki wrote: The Bizarro World (also known as Htrae, which is "Earth" spelled backwards) is a fictional planet appearing in American comic books published by DC Comics....In popular culture, "Bizarro World" has come to mean a situation or setting which is weirdly inverted or opposite to expectations.
I never dreamed it could actually be real. But as per Nick's quote above, here we are. :shock: :D
_______
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:55 pm
> Trump is an extreme example of what I call an “other-blamer”. These types of people, due to their childhood attachment traumas, have low self-worth and are overly sensitive to shaming experiences, such as being criticized, making mistakes, failing, or being “less than” in any way. To manage shame they learned to blame-shift to others to preserve their fragile psyches. This shows up in an inability to be accountable and admit mistakes with equanimity. “Other-blamers” are an abusive style of personality, since offloading blame to others creates unfair and unbalanced relationships and can even reach severe levels of physical violence.

> “Other-blamers” see nothing wrong with Trump lashing out in rage or blame. In fact, they applaud it. This is exactly what they wish to do in their lives — rage and blame to feel powerful and keep criticism at bay. Trump’s supporters love it when he refuses to admit he is wrong, because they, too, do not like to be held accountable. In his entitlement, over-confidence and bloated ego, they see themselves and feel vindicated. They can relate to his fear of accountability, because they suffer from the same trait. Seeing authoritarian, immoral and unethical behavior in a successful billionaire, they conclude that these are not faults, but positive attributes.

> “Other-blamers” are in general not open-minded, which can lead them to be misinformed. To learn new information requires an admission that one does not already know that information, which can provoke feelings of inadequacy in “other-blamers”. In response, they are often unwilling to read, think deeply, or be well-informed, which by all accounts describes Trump and seems to describe many of his supporters.
As you know, I at one time explained the attitude and behavior of Trump the Schlump’s supporters on the basis of fear. I think my comments then were congruous with Harper West’s analysis you quoted.

It’s a fear of being found out, or fear of accountability that drives other blamers who support the Schlump. A diminished ability to learn abets a susceptibility to propaganda.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

I just read that Trump just removed "Critical Race Theory Training" from all federal institutions.

Now, there's something everybody ought to be happy about.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

commonsense
It’s a fear of being found out, or fear of accountability that drives other blamers who support the Schlump. A diminished ability to learn abets a susceptibility to propaganda.
They've figured me out. I have a fear of being found out or a fear of accountability. I'm guilty. I guess this is why I'm attracted to Christianity. The effects of propaganda. Maybe I'll become "woke" I will forget about Simone Weil and marvel at the brilliance of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez while switching to Joe Biden.

Just the thought of it sends chills down my spine
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:22 am commonsense
They've figured me out. I have a fear of being found out or a fear of accountability. I'm guilty. I guess this is why I'm attracted to Christianity. The effects of propaganda. Maybe I'll become "woke" I will forget about Simone Weil and marvel at the brilliance of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez while switching to Joe Biden.

Just the thought of it sends chills down my spine
So you would puff your chest out and walk right up to God and say you’re not afraid of going to Hell? And you’re not afraid of the country being lead by Joe Biden and the likes of AOC?