How to deal with a friend who thinks COVID 19 is a hoax

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: How to deal with a friend who thinks COVID 19 is a hoax

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:24 am
commonsense wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:13 am
henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:59 pm I worked in a hospital for acute infectious fevers and have of experience of disease control in hospital and in the community. I understand the science.

-----

Ditto. I taught infection prevention and control as one of the classes I lead when I was a Clinical Staff Educator.

then both of you should understand that everything that's been done so far (lockdowns, maskin', school shutdowns, etc.) is prolongin' beer virus; that all these measures have done nuthin' but the opposite of what was intended (what was said to be intended)
What was said to be intended was to flatten the curve: the same volume of cases spread out over time is intended to make sure that resources (e.g. nurses to take care of patients, supplies for the treatment of patients) are adequate throughout the entire pandemic. An example of the resources being too scarce for the demands of the pandemic would be the morgues’ needing to be supplemented by refrigerated trucks.
was a bold, in our faces, lie
The curve got spread out and flattened until the bars were reopened.

:mrgreen:
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:59 pm I worked in a hospital for acute infectious fevers and have of experience of disease control in hospital and in the community. I understand the science.

-----

Ditto. I taught infection prevention and control as one of the classes I lead when I was a Clinical Staff Educator.

then both of you should understand that everything that's been done so far (lockdowns, maskin', school shutdowns, etc.) is prolongin' beer virus; that all these measures have done nuthin' but the opposite of what was intended (what was said to be intended)
What was said to be intended was to flatten the curve: the same volume of cases spread out over time is intended to make sure that resources (e.g. nurses to take care of patients, supplies for the treatment of patients) are adequate throughout the entire pandemic. An example of the resources being too scarce for the demands of the pandemic would be the morgues’ needing to be supplemented by refrigerated trucks.
Maybe health officials over-reacted and things aren't as bad as they thought they were going to be but I wouldn't think they are lying about masks helping against the virus. What would be the reason for lying to people that masks will help?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

The curve got spread out and flattened until the bars were reopened.

I'm thinkin' that had more to do with the industry (of drinkin') than becuz of a curve flattenin'

Maybe health officials over-reacted and things aren't as bad as they thought they were going to be but I wouldn't think they are lying about masks helping against the virus. What would be the reason for lying to people that masks will help?

I'll be generous, Gary, and let your good will take the lead: mebbe it wasn't lies, mebbe it was just zeal & an incompetence...mebbe it was all good intentions

there's a road supposedly paved with those
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

-----

It seems you areseduced by a conspiracy theory. An effective way to protect yourself from conspiracy theories is to learn your facts from honest sources. Honest sources may be identified by a) unwitting testimony

b) disinterest in financial, political, or sexual rewards.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

It seems you areseduced by a conspiracy theory.

no, you're just gullible

good girl

congrats: they'll eat you last
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Belinda wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:15 am

It seems you areseduced by a conspiracy theory. An effective way to protect yourself from conspiracy theories is to learn your facts from honest sources. Honest sources may be identified by a) unwitting testimony

One sad thing about conspiracy rumors is that whatever is trumpeted first and repeated most becomes the ingrained narrative.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

commonsense wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:45 pm

One sad thing about conspiracy rumors is that whatever is trumpeted first and repeated most becomes the ingrained narrative.
I hoped Henry might be able to rise above that trumped-up narrative.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

commonsense wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:45 pm One sad thing about conspiracy rumors is that whatever is trumpeted first and repeated most becomes the ingrained narrative.
The irony, of course, is that "freedom lovin folk" are very susceptible to this kind of horseshit.

And it's precisely when their stupid in large numbers causes havoc is when our freedoms get curtailed. Which is why I am perfectly fine throwing libertarians under the bus early and often.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:55 pm

so happy to disappoint
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:41 pm

so happy to disappoint
In that case your intransigence is at least partly caused by bloody mindedness, like an adolescent.Yes, or even a frustrated toddler throwing his toys away.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:44 pm
so happy to disappoint
In that case your intransigence is at least partly caused by bloody mindedness, like an adolescent.
absolutely (and cuz I'm right)
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:46 pm

so happy to disappoint
In that case your intransigence is at least partly caused by bloody mindedness, like an adolescent.
Aren’t there others on this forum who agree with Henry? Why are they silent now instead of supporting Henry’s position? Or is he a minority of one here?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:46 pm absolutely (and cuz I'm right)
Nothing that we can't fix with a good spanking.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

commonsense wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:17 pm Aren’t there others on this forum who agree with Henry? Why are they silent now instead of supporting Henry’s position? Or is he a minority of one here?
Because Henry knows he's wasting your time. It's why he does it.

He has removed reason from you as way of interacting with him.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:17 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:46 pm
Aren’t there others on this forum who agree with Henry? Why are they silent now instead of supporting Henry’s position? Or is he a minority of one here?
I ain't lookin' for allies

this cheese is more than capable of standin' alone