What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:18 pm noun: philosophy

the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline.
a particular system of philosophical thought.

a theory or attitude that acts as a guiding principle for behaviour.

Greek:- "love of wisdom"

Just interested in any atheists thoughts on the subject of What is Wisdom? - not so much interested in theists..
The only thing that can be said about wisdom in "atheist philosophy" is that: the wise conclude there is not sufficient support for the claim that some god or gods exist. The wise reject "Faith".
Beyond that there really is no such thing as "atheist philosophy".
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:35 am

the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline.

Just interested in any atheists thoughts on the subject of What is Wisdom? - not so much interested in theists..
The only thing that can be said about wisdom in "atheist philosophy" is that: the wise conclude there is not sufficient support for the claim that some god or gods exist. The wise reject "Faith".

Intelligent atheists only believe in knowledge and intelligence, and fail to understand wisdom.
Intelligent theists believe in knowledge, intelligence AND understand wisdom.

Ergo, atheists are not true philosophers. :mrgreen:
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:48 am

Intelligent atheists only believe in knowledge and intelligence, and fail to understand wisdom.
A clear and obvious croc of sh1t.
Wisodom comes from knowing the limits of belief, and that means that THeist are all idiots.

You mean like David Hume, Russell, Heidegger, Deleueze, Schopenauer, Nietzsche, Satre, Albert Camus, Derrida, Dewey, Diderot, Rorty, Santayana, Serle, Singer, Feuerbach, Bagini, Bentham, De Bauvoir... etc, etc...
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:13 am

Wisodom comes from knowing the limits of belief, and that means that THeist are all idiots.
No. Wisdom comes from having belief. An atheist will never be a sage.
attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:48 amErgo, atheists are not true philosophers. :mrgreen:
You mean like David Hume, Russell, Heidegger, Deleueze, Schopenauer, Nietzsche, Satre, Albert Camus, Derrida, Dewey, Diderot, Rorty, Santayana, Serle, Singer, Feuerbach, Bagini, Bentham, De Bauvoir... etc, etc...
Atheists i presume. A bunch of thinkers at best, certainly not philosophers by the true meaning of the term 'philosophy'.
THoR

Post by THoR »

Why would wisdom be any different for an atheist?
It is the ability to apply knowledge and experience to reality to garner comprehension
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

THoR wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:38 pm Why would wisdom be any different for an atheist?
Of course there is a difference = differing degrees of wisdom that can be attainable.

THoR wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:38 pm It is the ability to apply knowledge and experience to reality to garner comprehension
Exactly. 'If' there is a God that has asked for belief indeed faith to reveal itself to an individual - that individual has the opportunity for FAR more knowledge and experience to garner comprehension OF reality.

Therefore, is it wise as a 'philosopher' to have an absolute lack of belief and to insist there is NO 3rd party intelligence - a God - behind the construct of reality?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

I'm an Atheist and i value Wisdom (as ive state here about 50 times in 50 posts since i showed up here 3 yrs ago) - a virtue - above all things. i do not value knowledge.

if in a travail in my life, i choose a Wise peasant of no learning over an Oxford Astrophysicist fool.

-------------

I know you think "athiests" are all one "thing" - as foolish Athiests do with Christians, but we are all individuals - which range from foolish uneducated christian farmers, to wise hundi farmers to foolish athiest astophysicts, to wise muslim chemists. etc...........

so i welcome discussion about atheism - if you have any questions for me i welcome them.

i do not like stereotypes of athiest though, in fact it pisses me off, for i know i am a man first and formost and my athiesm does not define me, nor do i think you can speak for me (us - since you view all athiests as a collective , you not being an athiest.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:37 am
An atheist will never be a sage.

pure crap

at least you are not a Racist, though only one step from - with the same mentality.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Wisodom comes from knowing the limits of belief

your are refering to Humility, which is a start, but step one out of many more..........

belief in Zeus, Baal or whomever or no God is irrelvent WRT wisdom.

the Wise know themselves (im talking really know themselves, and are honest in that view - know their fears, thier subconscious, and accept their faults and so do not care 2 shits about what others think about them nor their "image" (they are in effect complete persons that know and love themselves and have themselves as their best friend (no codependant lozer need apply ("i gotta find my love who can complete me/save me from my self destructive self" (co-dip are FOOLS - not wise), the fool does not know himself, and so refer to the foolish codip for a fool.

its that simple.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

gaffo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:11 am
An atheist will never be a sage.

pure crap

at least you are not a Racist, though only one step from - with the same mentality.
Not sure how one would 'stereotype an atheist' !?

The moment an atheist would be considered a sage, he\she will no longer be an atheist - since he\she would have gnosis.
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

Where is wisdom in a theist or atheist philosophy?

If one is a self-declared theist or atheist but does not know which is true then one has abandoned philosophy for opinion, and this is not wise.

I would argue that the truth is more subtle than the words 'Atheism'' and 'Theism' can describe, and that to take this view is wise.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

No. Wisdom comes from having belief. An atheist will never be a sage.
attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:48 amErgo, atheists are not true philosophers. :mrgreen:
Atheists i presume. A bunch of thinkers at best, certainly not philosophers by the true meaning of the term 'philosophy'.
LOL.
That just about puts the cherry on the top of the cake.
None of the above are true philosopher!!
Ha!
and who is a true philosopher?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

gaffo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:21 am
Wisodom comes from knowing the limits of belief

your are refering to Humility, which is a start, but step one out of many more..........
its that simple.
Simple things for simple minds?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

commonsense wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:34 pm Are agnostics allowed?
And what about the Spiritual but not Religious community? Do they have a voice?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Harbal wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:49 pm
commonsense wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:34 pm Are agnostics allowed?
And what about the Spiritual but not Religious community? Do they have a voice?
I believe there’s a spiritual or immaterial world. I just don’t know whether there’s a God ruling over it.