How are humans different with other species?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

cicero117

How are humans different with other species?

Post by cicero117 »

Humans are known to have a consciousness and common sense and traits, these traits are known to be passed down in the DNA.
But where does that DNA expressed, it's kind of different from other genes in a sense. How can we have a distinct trait and characteristics, some people are denser that the others, etc.

I know that according to the Bible, God created man special from the others, we are made according the image of God and are given consciousness.

But what about what the philosophers think? I haven't delve that deep regarding the philosophy of mind itself and I'm also interested what science can say about this matter.

Pardon me if my questions are all over the place, this is my first thread :)
Luxin

deleted 465

Post by Luxin »

deleted 465
Last edited by Luxin on Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bahman

Re: How are humans different with other species?

Post by bahman »

cicero117 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:13 pm Humans are known to have a consciousness and common sense and traits, these traits are known to be passed down in the DNA.
But where does that DNA expressed, it's kind of different from other genes in a sense. How can we have a distinct trait and characteristics, some people are denser that the others, etc.

I know that according to the Bible, God created man special from the others, we are made according the image of God and are given consciousness.

But what about what the philosophers think? I haven't delve that deep regarding the philosophy of mind itself and I'm also interested what science can say about this matter.

Pardon me if my questions are all over the place, this is my first thread :)
Consciousness is the ability of mind. You also have a body which is defined by your traits.

Post by Age »

Human beings are different from all the other species as human beings are the only ones with the ability to learn, understand, and reason, absolutely any, and every, thing.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Age wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:56 am Human beings are different from all the other species as human beings are the only ones with the ability to learn, understand, and reason, absolutely any, and every, thing.
You will never properly understand 4D Space. Check this out:
http://www.theintermind.com/ExploringTh ... lSpace.asp

Post by Age »

SteveKlinko wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:46 pm
Age wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:56 am Human beings are different from all the other species as human beings are the only ones with the ability to learn, understand, and reason, absolutely any, and every, thing.
When you use the word 'you' here are you referring to one individual human being?

If yes, then what I am referring to is human beings. I was also referring to the their ability to learn, understand, and reason, and not necessarily what they have actually learned, understood, and/or reasoned, up to the days of when you are with us.

But if you were not referring to just one individual human being and were referring to the species 'human beings', then how do you know that human beings will NEVER properly understand some thing like 4d space?

Post by Age »

Also, and by the way, who wrote 'that' in the link?

That one has NOT YET even understood the most basic fundamental parts of the Universe. When these two very basic fundamental things are understood, properly and fully, then discovering and/or learning absolutely EVER thing else is also very basic, simple, and easy to understand, AS WELL.

Why did that one only 'try' to understand 4 dimensional space? Why not 'try' understanding 5 dimensional space, or even 6 dimensional space, or even more?

Also, why bother 'trying to' understand these 'things', which may or may NOT exist, BEFORE they properly and fully understand the very basics of this actual Universe FIRST?
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Age wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:16 am
When you use the word 'you' here are you referring to one individual human being?

If yes, then what I am referring to is human beings. I was also referring to the their ability to learn, understand, and reason, and not necessarily what they have actually learned, understood, and/or reasoned, up to the days of when you are with us.

But if you were not referring to just one individual human being and were referring to the species 'human beings', then how do you know that human beings will NEVER properly understand some thing like 4d space?
Yes I mean any Human not just you.

Humans will not understand 4D Space because they don't have 4D Brains. Humans only have 3D Brains. We would need to be 32000 times more intelligent. I could be wrong of course. I tried to understand 4D Space for decades. I distilled the whole problem down to understanding how a 3D object is viewed as Flat by a 4D Being. Unless you can experience the Flatness of a 3D object you will not know what 4D Space is like for a 4D Being.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Age wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:32 am

That one has NOT YET even understood the most basic fundamental parts of the Universe. When these two very basic fundamental things are understood, properly and fully, then discovering and/or learning absolutely EVER thing else is also very basic, simple, and easy to understand, AS WELL.

Why did that one only 'try' to understand 4 dimensional space? Why not 'try' understanding 5 dimensional space, or even 6 dimensional space, or even more?

Also, why bother 'trying to' understand these 'things', which may or may NOT exist, BEFORE they properly and fully understand the very basics of this actual Universe FIRST?
I wrote that, of course.
I do understand 3D so trying to understand 4D is logical.
Why would you want to jump to 5D before you understand 4D?
That's not logical.

Post by Age »

SteveKlinko wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:23 pm

Humans will not understand 4D Space because they don't have 4D Brains. Humans only have 3D Brains. We would need to be 32000 times more intelligent. I could be wrong of course. I tried to understand 4D Space for decades. I distilled the whole problem down to understanding how a 3D object is viewed as Flat by a 4D Being. Unless you can experience the Flatness of a 3D object you will not know what 4D Space is like for a 4D Being.
You can repeat here what was written in that link, but you are NOT responding to nor answering the actual clarifying question that I asked you.

What you said here or is said in that link also does NOT back up and support your claim.

Post by Age »

SteveKlinko wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:29 pm

I wrote that, of course.
WHY did you write, "of course"?

How would I KNOW you wrote it?
SteveKlinko wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:29 pm I do understand 3D so trying to understand 4D is logical.
You have one concept, or one perspective, of 3 dimensional space, relative to your views and definitions. But, if your view of 3 dimensional space is NOT unified with EVERY thing else, then your 'understanding' is NOT necessarily the true nor full understanding.
SteveKlinko wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:29 pm Why would you want to jump to 5D before you understand 4D?
That's not logical.
That was my point. Why is it logical to jump to 'trying to' understand 4 dimensional space or 'trying to' understand absolutely ANY thing that MIGHT or MIGHT NOT even exist, in the beginning?

See, I prefer to just look at what IS, ONLY, instead of 'trying to' look at what might be or what could be.

If you ALREADY, supposedly, understand 3 dimensional space, then you will have ALREADY understood how this works in PERFECTLY with how the Universe actually works.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Age wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:08 am
SteveKlinko wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:23 pm

You can repeat here what was written in that link, but you are NOT responding to nor answering the actual clarifying question that I asked you.

What you said here or is said in that link also does NOT back up and support your claim.
I say in the link that in order to understand 4D Space we would need 4D Brains. It has to do with being able to visualize a 3D object as looking Flat from the perspective of 4D Space. The fact that I cannot visualize this and I know that no one else I have ever talked to can visualize this leads me to think that you cannot visualize this either. I extrapolate this Human Brain deficiency to all Humans. Further thinking on this reveals that if a Human had a 4D Brain he would then have a 3D Flat Cortex similar to our current 2D Cortex. The 3D Cortex would allow visualization of 4D Space.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Age wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:17 am
SteveKlinko wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:29 pm

I wrote that, of course.
WHY did you write, "of course"?

How would I KNOW you wrote it?
SteveKlinko wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:29 pm I do understand 3D so trying to understand 4D is logical.
You have one concept, or one perspective, of 3 dimensional space, relative to your views and definitions. But, if your view of 3 dimensional space is NOT unified with EVERY thing else, then your 'understanding' is NOT necessarily the true nor full understanding.
SteveKlinko wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:29 pm Why would you want to jump to 5D before you understand 4D?
That's not logical.
That was my point. Why is it logical to jump to 'trying to' understand 4 dimensional space or 'trying to' understand absolutely ANY thing that MIGHT or MIGHT NOT even exist, in the beginning?

See, I prefer to just look at what IS, ONLY, instead of 'trying to' look at what might be or what could be.

If you ALREADY, supposedly, understand 3 dimensional space, then you will have ALREADY understood how this works in PERFECTLY with how the Universe actually works.
The current Scientific Cosmological understanding of the Big Bang is that the Universe could have been 2D, 3D, 4D, or 5D, etc. So I am interested in the next level of complexity above 3D. The important lesson of all this is that Space is a Thing and there could be No Space.

I understand 3D Space in the Scientific sense. I reject your implication that 3D Space can not be understood without considering it's relation to everything else in the Universe.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

if we cannot comprehend the space in which we exist... 4d... will the time come when we remember comprehending it?

-Imp
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

SteveKlinko wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:23 pm Humans will not understand 4D Space because they don't have 4D Brains.
They'll never understand the life of Madusa either. There is no such material existent as 4D space. It is only a concept. Like Madusa.

And, "brains," don't understand anything anyway. They are only the instrument of consciousness and interface between the mind and that which consciousness is conscious of.