Ownness (sumthin' short, pithy, and raw; red meat)

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: wind.

Post by Skepdick »

uwot wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:49 pm Fair enough Skepdick, what you and I call insistence might be two different things, but by any criteria, that's gotta count as a bit pushy.
Hardly. It was emphasis on a question you continuously ignored.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

uwot wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:58 pm Fine. I will lose no sleep because I am a twat by your actual conception.
Perfectly fine attitude. You should consider generalising it (if you haven't already done so) to "I will lose no sleep over your pejoratives".

Or you can just plagiarise it. Sticks and stones...
uwot wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:58 pm If anything, I would toss and turn slightly more if you didn't think I was a twat. Meh, who am I kidding? I really don't care what you think about me, I just don't want others to think that a silly twat like you is worth taking seriously.
Well done, captain obvious! You are finally agreeing with me.

Not only do I insist that others shouldn't take ME seriously. I am also insisting that others shouldn't take YOU seriously. And I am also insisting that others shouldn't take Philosophers seriously.

And why stop there? I am also insisting that others shouldn't take themselves seriously. Because philosophy is not serious business.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:58 pm
uwot wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:49 pm Fair enough Skepdick, what you and I call insistence might be two different things, but by any criteria, that's gotta count as a bit pushy.
Hardly. It was emphasis on a question you continuously ignored.
Yup, because it was the question about something you attributed to me that I never said.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

uwot wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:21 pm Yup, because it was the question about something you attributed to me that I never said.
I know you didn't say it. That's not the reason I am asking you the question.

If I was privy to the answer I wouldn't ask you the question. But I am not a mind-reader - so I ask.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:01 pmNot only do I insist that others shouldn't take ME seriously. I am also insisting that others shouldn't take YOU seriously. And I am also insisting that others shouldn't take Philosophers seriously.

And why stop there? I am also insisting that others shouldn't take themselves seriously. Because philosophy is not serious business.
Yeah. We've been through this. I know. I have said I know and you, because you are a twat, insist I do not know and are telling me something I don't know. Wake up you moron, philosophy is story telling. Stories do not have to be true - they only have to make sense to the individuals who find them useful. Get your fucking idiot head around that. Or just be a twat.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

uwot wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:33 pm Yeah. We've been through this. I know. I have said I know and you, because you are a twat, insist I do not know and are telling me something I don't know.
I know you know this, you twat.

It's because I know that I don't know AND I know that you do know that which I don't know is why I am asking you the question.

Is called information asymmetry.
uwot wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:33 pm Wake up you moron, philosophy is story telling. Stories do not have to be true - they only have to make sense to the individuals who find them useful. Get your fucking idiot head around that. Or just be a twat.
Which is precisely why I am advocating for story-writing, not story-telling.

Do science. Create knowledge. Write the story. The future is serious business - the past isn't.

Or just be a dumb philosopher who writes about what other people did.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:36 pm... I am advocating for story-writing...
That's philosophy.
Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:36 pm...not story-telling.
That's religion.
Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:36 pmDo science.
That's some combination of the above + maths.
Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:36 pmCreate knowledge. Write the story. The future is serious business - the past isn't.
Well yeah, we can affect the future, but a few quantum quirks aside, we cannot change the past.
Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:36 pmOr just be a dumb philosopher who writes about what other people did.
Yup, there are dumb philosophers, there are also dumb anti-philosophers. The trick is don't be dumb. How's that working out for you?