Ownness (sumthin' short, pithy, and raw; red meat)

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Skepdick. Who cares?

Post by Skepdick »

uwot wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:55 pm Seriously? I presume you have had some feelings. What does any one of them feel like? If you an answer that, then you know what understanding feels like.
That's a bit vague, no? Understanding doesn't feel like any of my other feelings. If it did I wouldn't need different words for "understanding" and "anger".

So give it a shot and describe 'understanding' in terms of other things. Describe it in terms of something testable if you want.

What can you do with understanding that you can't do without understanding?
uwot

Ask a stupid question...

Post by uwot »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:35 pmUnderstanding doesn't feel like any of my other feelings.
Exactly.
Skepdick

Re: Ask a stupid question...

Post by Skepdick »

uwot wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:02 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:35 pmUnderstanding doesn't feel like any of my other feelings.
Exactly.
Then stop being exact.

Somebody somewhere, said "Show me a man who insists on exactness and I'll show you an inexact man."

Of course there was also the other bit...
Skepdick wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:35 pm So give it a shot and describe 'understanding' in terms of other things. Describe it in terms of something testable if you want.

What can you do with understanding that you can't do without understanding?
uwot

Re: wind.

Post by uwot »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:22 pmThen stop being exact.
Oh goody! Another round of the twat telling me I did exactly (ho hum) what I didn't do.
Skepdick wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:22 pmOf course there was also the other bit...
Which I really don't give a fuck about. Wake up you soapy tit wank, if all you have is twattery, all you get in response is the same.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

uwot wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:36 pm Which I really don't give a fuck about. Wake up you soapy tit wank, if all you have is twattery, all you get in response is the same.
Which part of asking you to say something on the feeling of "understanding" is the "twattery" exactly?

From where I am looking the question makes you uncomfortable so you are lashing out. Like a twat.

Perhaps is a clear indication of Philosophy's inability to say anything about such things. A knowledge gap it seems.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:38 pmWhich part of asking you to say something on the feeling of "understanding" is the "twattery" exactly?*
The bit you already understand. (Yeah, I know.)
*Skepdick wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:22 pmSomebody somewhere, said "Show me a man who insists on exactness and I'll show you an inexact man."
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

uwot wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:07 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:38 pmWhich part of asking you to say something on the feeling of "understanding" is the "twattery" exactly?*
The bit you already understand. (Yeah, I know.)
*Skepdick wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:22 pmSomebody somewhere, said "Show me a man who insists on exactness and I'll show you an inexact man."
It sure seems like twattery on your part to assume I would ask you about something I "understand".

How does quoting my words back to me help answer a question I directed at you?

I asked you because I wanted your perspective, not mine. Which I (obviously) already have access to. Could it be that you were the twat all along?
uwot

Post by uwot »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:52 pmI asked you because I wanted your perspective, not mine.
I already gave it:
uwot wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:14 pmI say x fully expecting you to respond y. Whaddya know? You get the message and respond y. Works nearly every time. Granted you surprise me sometimes; not much though.
Skepdick wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:52 pmCould it be that you were the twat all along?
No. All your insistence that I owe you an explanation for something you made up is the behaviour of a twat.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

uwot wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:19 am
Skepdick wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:52 pmI asked you because I wanted your perspective, not mine.
I already gave it:
uwot wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:14 pmI say x fully expecting you to respond y. Whaddya know? You get the message and respond y. Works nearly every time. Granted you surprise me sometimes; not much though.
Skepdick wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:52 pmCould it be that you were the twat all along?
No. All your insistence that I owe you an explanation for something you made up is the behaviour of a twat.
Obviously we don't owe each other anything. I know this. You know this.

Yet you still feel like you owe me an explanation. Why do you feel that way?

To insist that I am "insisting" when I am obviously just asking questions is indeed the behaviour of a twat.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:35 amObviously we don't owe each other anything. I know this. You know this.

Yet you still feel like you owe me an explanation. Why do you feel that way?
This is how much of a twat you are. Maybe the time it takes you to hit the space bar is all it takes for you to forget. You are quite right I know I don't owe you an explanation, so in the next sentence claiming that I feel I owe you an explanation is something only a twat could do. The same twat who with regard to not owing anything, which I infer includes explanations, says "I know this" and who is the very same twat who bawls:
Skepdick wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:56 pmWHAT DOES UNDERSTANDING FEEL LIKE?
I keep saying it Skepdick, if you want to play nicely then let's, but if you are going to continue to be a twat, I will keep pointing out what a twat you are.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

uwot wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:02 pm This is how much of a twat you are. I don't owe you an explanation, so in the next sentence claiming that I feel I owe you an explanation is something only a twat could do.
Uhuh. So if you know that you don't owe me an explanation and you don't feel like you owe me an explanation, then why did you say what you said?
uwot wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:19 am All your insistence that I owe you an explanation.
uwot wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:02 pm I keep saying it Skepdick, if you want to play nicely then let's, but if you are going to continue to be a twat, I will keep pointing out what a twat you are.
And I'll keep pointing out that you are projecting your "twatness" onto me.
uwot

Post by uwot »

What Skepdick claims I wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:08 pm This is how much of a twat you are. I don't owe you an explanation, so in the next sentence claiming that I feel I owe you an explanation is something only a twat could do.
More shameless editing. Skepdick, you really are a twat.
Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:08 pmUhuh. So if you know that you don't owe me an explanation and you don't feel like you owe me an explanation, then why did you say what you said?
uwot wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:19 am All your insistence that I owe you an explanation.
Read this slowly Skepdick. You insisting that I owe you an explanation does not mean I feel I owe you an explanation.
What Skepdick claims I wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:08 pm
uwot wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:02 pm I keep saying it Skepdick, if you want to play nicely then let's, but if you are going to continue to be a twat, I will keep pointing out what a twat you are.
And I'll keep pointing out that you are projecting your "twatness" onto me.
There was a bunch on this forum that called me utwat. Did I give a fuck? Anyway, your twattery and mine are very different. Yours is the 'I'm proper fucked up, but if I can prove I'm clever, I won't hate myself so much.' Mine is the 'This person is fucked up, but he's horrible so let's kick him anyway.' You don't know better and I should. Objectively, who's the bigger twat?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

uwot wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:54 pm
Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:08 pmUhuh. So if you know that you don't owe me an explanation and you don't feel like you owe me an explanation, then why did you say what you said?
Read this slowly Skepdick. You insisting that I owe you an explanation does not mean I feel I owe you an explanation.
Great advice! You should practice it, not just preach it. Read it even slower. Also, try putting some effort in figuring out who said what. You are misattributing your words onto me.

I didn't insist that you owe me an explanation. You said that. The quote even has your name on it and you are still confused.

What confuses me is your reasons for saying it.

If you know that you don't owe me an explanation, and you know that I know that you don't owe me an explanation, and you didn't feel that you owe me an explanation then why did you say what you said?

You must have reasons that only you are privy to. Perhaps you'll care to let me in on what they are?
uwot wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:54 pm There was a bunch on this forum that called me utwat. Did I give a fuck? Anyway, your twattery and mine are very different. Yours is the 'I'm proper fucked up, but if I can prove I'm clever, I won't hate myself so much.' Mine is the 'This person is fucked up, but he's horrible so let's kick him anyway.' You don't know better and I should. Objectively, who's the bigger twat?
Objectively, you aren't even comparing apples to apples. So till you and I determine "twatness" in exactly the same way it's a pretty stupid question.

The reason I am calling you a twat is because you are attributing your words to me.

Q.E.D you are attributing a conception of "twatness" that's not mine. So it must be yours.

That confirms that you a twat given my actual conception.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:01 pmI didn't insist that you owe me an explanation.
Skepdick wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:56 pmWHAT DOES UNDERSTANDING FEEL LIKE?
Fair enough Skepdick, what you and I call insistence might be two different things, but by any criteria, that's gotta count as a bit pushy.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:01 pm...you are attributing a conception of "twatness" that's not mine. So it must be yours.

That confirms that you a twat given my actual conception.
Fine. I will lose no sleep because I am a twat by your actual conception. If anything, I would toss and turn slightly more if you didn't think I was a twat. Meh, who am I kidding? I really don't care what you think about me, I just don't want others to think that a silly twat like you is worth taking seriously.