Smart Christianity / Dumb Christianity

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: Smart Christianity / Dumb Christianity

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:19 pm
Belinda wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:58 am Eastern quiescence will not avail against pandemic, total war, or political corruption.
Well, we certainly agree on that, B. In fact, it's not really good for anything except creating passivity and a delusion of well-being where none is actually to be had.
Well, You couldn't be any more wrong in that assumption if you tried, and is why you are totally clueless to think that there is a 'someone' to whom quiescence can be an experience for. But I'm not going to bother arguing this misguided belief with you, you either understand ..there is no 'someone' who experiences any such state as a sense of 'well being' or of a 'passive sensation' or you don't understand.
The truth is,you either get that truth, or you don't. It's your imagined belief, not mine.

Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:15 pm IC, you really are as dumb as rocks when it comes to understanding 'true knowledge' and what it is, and what it's true function is.
Darn.

My whole purpose in life, up to this point, has been to prove to mystical sentimentalists that I am worthy of their "esoteric knowledge." And now you tell me I'm not? :shock:

I must go lick my wounds.

Have a nice day. 8)
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:49 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:15 pm IC, you really are as dumb as rocks when it comes to understanding 'true knowledge' and what it is, and what it's true function is.
Darn.

My whole purpose in life, up to this point, has been to prove to mystical sentimentalists that I am worthy of their "esoteric knowledge." And now you tell me I'm not? :shock:

I must go lick my wounds.

Have a nice day. 8)
And that is what you call dumb Christianity. No one has knowledge, there is only knowledge no one has.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:20 pm And that is what you call dumb Christianity.
Ah, the "esoteric knowledge" game.

The "esoteric knowledge" game works this way: tell people there's "knowledge" they don't have, and can't have without first giving up on their trust in their own faculties, experience or reasoning powers. Or tell them knowledge is just plain impossible. Then tell them you're the only person who really "knows" that, and that if they were smart and enlightened, they would "know" it, too.

This pricks their pride, so they try. But when they try to look for this "knowledge," they can't find it, and become confused. But they're afraid to admit they are confused, and they fear they have missed something, so they fall silent, hoping to be seen as somebody who's "getting it," or hoping that the "illuminated one" will fill them in. Then that puts them at the mercy of the "illuminated one" who told them that nonsense in the first place, since they are having to trust him that there's something to "know" there, and they are denied their own means to see whether or not it's true there's anything there at all.

It's transparent ruse. But it works, at least in the case of people who aren't very smart or who are keen to ingratiate themselves to some person who claims "esoteric knowledge."

For someone who's not those things...it really doesn't work.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:32 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:20 pm And that is what you call dumb Christianity.
Ah, the "esoteric knowledge" game.

The "esoteric knowledge" game works this way: tell people there's "knowledge" they don't have, and can't have without first giving up on their trust in their own faculties, experience or reasoning powers. Or tell them knowledge is just plain impossible. Then tell them you're the only person who really "knows" that, and that if they were smart and enlightened, they would "know" it, too.

This pricks their pride, so they try. But when they try to look for this "knowledge," they can't find it, and become confused. But they're afraid to admit they are confused, and they fear they have missed something, so they fall silent, hoping to be seen as somebody who's "getting it," or hoping that the "illuminated one" will fill them in. Then that puts them at the mercy of the "illuminated one" who told them that nonsense in the first place, since they are having to trust him that there's something to "know" there, and they are denied their own means to see whether or not it's true there's anything there at all.

It's transparent ruse. But it works, at least in the case of people who aren't very smart or who are keen to ingratiate themselves to some person who claims "esoteric knowledge."

It's hard to push against the pricks...I've heard it all before IC...but keep on pushing and see where it gets you, nowhere, that's where.

You're barking up the wrong tree, because you can't leave, because you want the other one to leave first. Well that's just the way it works.

Make like a tree and leave...or shut up.

Show me a man who has finished with words, so that I may have a word with him.

If truth be known, I have absolutely no idea what you were attempting to say in your reply, no idea at all.

It's really really simple IC...you either get what God is or you don't...it's not personal.

I'm sure you'll be eagerly waiting to fill me in with some more of your barking, no doubt.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:44 pm It's hard to push against the pricks...I've heard it all before IC.
If you've "heard it before," it's time you started wondering why people who don't even know each other are all telling you exactly the same thing.
You're barking up the wrong tree,
Got any more useful cliches for me? :wink:
because you can't leave...Make like a tree and leave.
Well, there's two more. :D
Oooh. We're going all koany now. :lol:
If truth be known, I have absolutely no idea what you were attempting to say in your reply, no idea at all.
Yeah, you do.

Or if you really don't, you're not thinking very hard.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:00 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:44 pm It's hard to push against the pricks...I've heard it all before IC.
If you've "heard it before," it's time you started wondering why people who don't even know each other are all telling you exactly the same thing.
You're barking up the wrong tree,
Got any more useful cliches for me? :wink:
because you can't leave...Make like a tree and leave.
Well, there's two more. :D
Oooh. We're going all koany now. :lol:
Yeah, you do.

Or if you really don't, you're not thinking very hard.
And there is it.

If we all knew what we were talking about, then we'd stop asking questions about what we are talking about.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:32 pm Ah, the "esoteric knowledge" game.

It sounds like you've just described Christianity or any other theist platform that makes similar claims and plays similar games! :lol:

No surprise (except for your avid commitment to making such transparent claims), as you've shown you like to project your own limitations and delusions outward as if they are not yours, but that of others. So ridiculously obvious and funny. But you don't see it, do you.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:19 pm
Belinda wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:58 am Eastern quiescence will not avail against pandemic, total war, or political corruption.
Well, we certainly agree on that, B. In fact, it's not really good for anything except creating passivity and a delusion of well-being where none is actually to be had.
I mean really IC...it's comments like this that are just totally unbelievably stupid, that I'm just so shocked and surprised you would actually think like that. Is this really what you believe. :o

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:11 pm

It sounds like you've just described Christianity or any other theist platform that makes similar claims and plays similar games! :lol:

No surprise (except for your avid commitment to making such transparent claims), as you've shown you like to project your own limitations and delusions outward as if they are not yours, but that of others. So ridiculously obvious and funny. But you don't see it, do you.
Well bloody said. :D Thanks I now know what he was saying. :mrgreen:
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:00 pmThen tell them you're the only person who really "knows" that, and that if they were smart and enlightened, they would "know" it, too.
I seriously cannot believe you could be so insecure about such knowledge being known.

It's your own knowledge dumb head. The only knowledge available. You really do say the most stupid things.

Knowing God is not known by a 'someone'' ..you are the knowing.

don't you ever listen, or do you just like the sound of your own voice.

Last edited by Dontaskme on Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:03 pm If we all knew what we were talking about, then we'd stop asking questions about what we are talking about.
Nah. That's not true. Not even close to true.

You ask all kinds of questions about things you already know something about...the fact that you don't know everything is the only requirement for there being further questions.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:23 pm I seriously cannot believe you could be so insecure about such knowledge being known.
Hey, you're the one who says nobody "knows" anything.

Interesting that you exempt yourself from your universal claim.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:24 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:03 pm If we all knew what we were talking about, then we'd stop asking questions about what we are talking about.
Nah. That's not true. Not even close to true.

You ask all kinds of questions about things you already know something about...the fact that you don't know everything is the only requirement for there being further questions.
Whatever, just don't believe you can know another mind, because you can't, you can only know yours...so asking questions about what you already know is not required.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:11 pm

It sounds like you've just described Christianity...
Then you don't know anything about Christianity, I guess. It does not at all ask people not to reason or to use evidence or experience to find rational conclusions. In fact, it invites those things.