Defunding Police

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: Defunding Police

Post by commonsense »

Maybe the gopher hole cannot be compared to the common cold. Maybe there’s no way to save the sinking house, yet cancer is treatable with the possibility of remission or cure.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

you really wanna put the kibosh on out of control cops?

make 'em liable, civilly & criminally, for their misdeeds just as I, a private citizen, am

strip away immunities and extraordinary protections

watch how good cops become when they have no buffer

and while your at it...

have elected folks abide by the laws they pass

strip away their exemptions

watch laws become sensible and minimal when lawmakers have to walk the same road as us lil people

and, since we're reachin' for the pie up there in the sky...

end all entitlements except for a narrow, sharply defined, limited assist for those who actually need a hand up

do that and watch black on black crime drop

more...

decriminalize drugs

free men and women ought to be able to eat, drink, smoke, snort, or inject whatever they like and bear the consequences fully

do that: you break the back of organized crime, remove an incentive for tribal behavior, and -- without even tryin' -- cut the budget of any law enforcement significantly

some more...

encourage responsible gun ownership among law abiders

see communism for the cancer it is

encourage free enterprise

reinvigorate the notion of mind your business, keep your hands to yourself, or else

recognize identity politics as the crapsack it is

encourage idiosyncrasy among the states (within the broad boundaries of Life, Liberty, Property)

there's more, but mebbe you get the idea (freedom [self-direction & self- responsibility] is the answer to all the woes)
commonsense

Re:

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:26 pm you really wanna put the kibosh on out of control cops?

make 'em liable, civilly & criminally, for their misdeeds just as I, a private citizen, am

and while your at it...

watch laws become sensible and minimal when lawmakers have to walk the same road as us lil people

end all entitlements except for a narrow, sharply defined, limited assist for those who actually need a hand up

more...

decriminalize drugs

free men and women ought to be able to eat, drink, smoke, snort, or inject whatever they like and bear the consequences fully

do that: you break the back of organized crime, remove an incentive for tribal behavior, and -- without even tryin' -- cut the budget of any law enforcement significantly

some more...

reinvigorate the notion of mind your business, keep your hands to yourself, or else

encourage idiosyncrasy among the states (within the broad boundaries of Life, Liberty, Property)

there's more, but mebbe you get the idea (freedom [self-direction & self- responsibility] is the answer to all the woes)
All this would be wonderful.
henry quirk

Re: Re:

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:29 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:26 pm you really wanna put the kibosh on out of control cops?

and while your at it...

more...

decriminalize drugs

some more...

yep
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:26 pm ...
Sounds good to me too!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:10 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:26 pm ...
Sounds good to me too!
it should sound wonderful to everyone

so: why don't we have any of it?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:55 pm

Sounds good to me too!

I would say it’s because not all people are inherently able to participate in that kind of freedom.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

commonsense wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:29 pm All this would be wonderful.
Sounds good to me too!

Maybe because there are a lot of stupid and corrupt people in positions of power, and even more stupid people and corrupt organizations who put them there, while some stupid people still promote archaic imaginary beliefs and support other corrupt organizations, and a bunch of hateful people disrupt and destroy everything they can. Makes it kind of hard to organize anything that honors and makes sense for the average person.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:49 pm

Sounds good to me too!

I would say it’s because not all people are inherently able to participate in that kind of freedom.
which people, and why can't they be free?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:18 pm

Sounds good to me too!

Maybe because there are a lot of stupid and corrupt people in positions of power, and even more stupid people and corrupt organizations who put them there, while some stupid people still promote archaic imaginary beliefs and support other corrupt organizations, and a bunch of hateful people disrupt and destroy everything they can. Makes it kind of hard to organize anything that honors and makes sense for the average person.
if we leave off the rest of your tripe and focus on this...

positions of power

...then we've cozied up nice and tight to the reason we don't have any of it
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:17 am if we leave off the rest of your tripe and focus on this...

positions of power

There's more to it than that. Why do we have to focus on your small-minded view as if it's the fucking center of the Universe of reason and logic? :lol: You're not that smart or accurate, Henry.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:33 am
henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:17 am if we leave off the rest of your tripe and focus on this...

positions of power

There's more to it than that. Why do we have to focus on your small-minded view as if it's the fucking center of the Universe of reason and logic? :lol: You're not that smart or accurate, Henry.
true

I await your oh-so accurate & smart assessments of the more to it
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:40 am

positions of power

true

I already described it -- which you dismissed -- probably because you suspect I would fit you into that description. :lol: Do you seriously NOT THINK there are a whole lot of stupid people and corrupt organizations that have got us to the point we're at? Leadership and positions of power are born from that!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:57 am
true

I already described it -- which you dismissed -- probably because you suspect I would fit you into that description. :lol: Do you seriously NOT THINK there are a whole lot of stupid people and corrupt organizations that have got us to the point we're at? Leadership and positions of power are born from that!
let's review...

so, your oh-so accurate & smart assessment is...

stupid people and corrupt organizations put stupid and corrupt people in positions of power

stupid people believe imaginary things and support corrupt organizations that validate those beliefs

hateful people break stuff

yeah, it all makes perfect sense...if you're in kindergarten

into the penalty box, you twit
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:16 am
Lacewing wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:57 am

true

let's review...

so, your oh-so accurate & smart assessment is...

stupid people and corrupt organizations put stupid and corrupt people in positions of power

stupid people believe imaginary things and support corrupt organizations that validate those beliefs

hateful people break stuff

yeah, it all makes perfect sense...if you're in kindergarten

into the penalty box, you twit
What is NOT correct about what I've said? YOU HAVEN'T EVEN COME UP WITH AN EXPLANATION!!! It's so LIKE you to criticize ideas when you can't even fucking come up with your own answers -- like a coward who spews whatever childish garbage fascinates him, and then wonders why everything is so toxic.