2020: not safe for anyone

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8415
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: good morning, forum!

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:59 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:44 pm 9662A04C-7DF0-4A42-B0EB-C1B1F5E5E2B2.jpeg
Indeed. I've been wondering why covid cases are accelerating but deaths seem to be going down. It could be that deaths haven't had time to catch up with cases (many people linger) or that many more young people are getting it (and they have a much lower death rate).
Mostly: it's cuz we're testin' more (and findin' asymptomatic status is predominant among most).

Also (and I'll post on this later), the powers that be have rejiggered the count again, inflatin' the numbers (again).
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9142
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: good morning, forum!

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:08 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:59 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:44 pm 9662A04C-7DF0-4A42-B0EB-C1B1F5E5E2B2.jpeg
Indeed. I've been wondering why covid cases are accelerating but deaths seem to be going down. It could be that deaths haven't had time to catch up with cases (many people linger) or that many more young people are getting it (and they have a much lower death rate).

Also (and I'll post on this later), the powers that be have rejiggered the count again, inflatin' the numbers (again).
Ridiculous.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8415
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: good morning, forum!

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:22 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:08 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:59 pm

Indeed. I've been wondering why covid cases are accelerating but deaths seem to be going down. It could be that deaths haven't had time to catch up with cases (many people linger) or that many more young people are getting it (and they have a much lower death rate).

Also (and I'll post on this later), the powers that be have rejiggered the count again, inflatin' the numbers (again).
Ridiculous.
I shit you not.

First, the CDC screwed up the totals by accidentally intermixing virus test results with antibody test results, then contact tracing in various locales has ben re-worked so that probable, but unconfirmed, cases are bein' counted as positives.

Think about it: Joe tests positive. In an earlier iteration of contact tracin', if Joe had contact with 15 folks, those folks were considered possible infections, and they'd remain categorized as possibles till tested. Now, each and every one of those 15 is considered positive for beer virus till tested. Before, they were added to the confirmed infections count; now they have to be removed. And if they never get tested, they stay on the confirmed positives list (even if they aren't infected).

It's the difference between innocent till proven guilty & guilty till proven innocent.

And: in some locales, tracers are forbidden to ask if an infected person attended any protests.

Like I said to RC over in my perspectives thread we don't have any friggin' idea of the true (U.S.) total(s) (of previously or currently infected, of those hospitalized with beer virus vs those hospitalized cuz of beer virus, of folks who died with beer virus vs those who died cuz of beer virus).

It's a great big mess.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8415
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

shut up: do as your told

Post by henry quirk »

D6A727A2-7918-493C-82D6-5BA7757C0C79.jpeg
D6A727A2-7918-493C-82D6-5BA7757C0C79.jpeg (65.02 KiB) Viewed 215 times
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8415
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

hi-ho

Post by henry quirk »

16703E3C-B19D-4DC1-A45F-67A7240F34A4.jpeg
16703E3C-B19D-4DC1-A45F-67A7240F34A4.jpeg (100.64 KiB) Viewed 215 times
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8415
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

cast 'em off

Post by henry quirk »

4B2BCF97-A34D-43ED-912F-93EBA79A5966.jpeg
4B2BCF97-A34D-43ED-912F-93EBA79A5966.jpeg (28.94 KiB) Viewed 215 times
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8415
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

keep your guard up

Post by henry quirk »

40237274-63CF-4038-A532-087767A98D2F.jpeg
40237274-63CF-4038-A532-087767A98D2F.jpeg (63.52 KiB) Viewed 215 times
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9142
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: good morning, forum!

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:37 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:22 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:08 pm


Also (and I'll post on this later), the powers that be have rejiggered the count again, inflatin' the numbers (again).
Ridiculous.
I shit you not.

First, the CDC screwed up the totals by accidentally intermixing virus test results with antibody test results, then contact tracing in various locales has ben re-worked so that probable, but unconfirmed, cases are bein' counted as positives.

Think about it: Joe tests positive. In an earlier iteration of contact tracin', if Joe had contact with 15 folks, those folks were considered possible infections, and they'd remain categorized as possibles till tested. Now, each and every one of those 15 is considered positive for beer virus till tested. Before, they were added to the confirmed infections count; now they have to be removed. And if they never get tested, they stay on the confirmed positives list (even if they aren't infected).

It's the difference between innocent till proven guilty & guilty till proven innocent.

And: in some locales, tracers are forbidden to ask if an infected person attended any protests.

Like I said to RC over in my perspectives thread we don't have any friggin' idea of the true (U.S.) total(s) (of previously or currently infected, of those hospitalized with beer virus vs those hospitalized cuz of beer virus, of folks who died with beer virus vs those who died cuz of beer virus).

It's a great big mess.
Case numbers don't mean a lot anyway--many people have no symptoms. It's the number of deaths that concerns people--and that can't be falsified. If anything the actual number of deaths is more likely to be a lot higher than recorded, especially with all the homeless people and those without access to hospital care.
Taiwan has been lauded for its low number of cases, but if you look at its number of tests per million it's hardly any. Obviously if people aren't getting tested then they can't show in the stats lol.
The US actually has more than ten times the number of cases as the UK but only three times the number of deaths, yet every night on the news it says that the US is by far the worst hit. None of it makes any sense, or is it just an indicator of how stupid people have become?
If you have one country with a million cases and ten deaths, is it doing worse than a country with a thousand cases and 999 deaths?
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9142
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: 2020: not safe for anyone...beer virus humor, etc. (post your own)

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

If you look at this you can see how the US compares to the UK, yet everyone thinks the US is doing far worse than anyone else. You will probably need a magnifying glass or you can find it here https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

corona.png
corona.png (65.77 KiB) Viewed 204 times
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8415
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Veg

Post by henry quirk »

It's the number of deaths that concerns people--and that can't be falsified.

But they can be falsified. If protocol sez a death with beer virus is to be counted as a death because of beer virus, right there you got falsification. If a death is classified as because of beer virus when no test is conducted to determine if the poor soul was even infected, that there is falsification.

That's the kinda shit goin' on in N.Y. (& other places).


the homeless people

Interestin' fact: bums in various places average a lower infection rate than non-bums. Goody two-shoes types, on the public dime of course, did random samplin' of hundreds of bums in different cities. Even takin' into account testin' error: bums show up as a less infected population than 9 to 5, upright, homeowners.

It's the rotgut, I tell ya.


None of it makes any sense, or is it just an indicator of how stupid people have become?

Not stupid, just spooked, overwhelmed, and misled.
commonsense
Posts: 2404
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: 2020: not safe for anyone...beer virus humor, etc. (post your own)

Post by commonsense »

Masks are unnecessary—

tell your surgeon not to wear one.
commonsense
Posts: 2404
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: good morning, forum!

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:37 pm
I shit you not.

First, the CDC screwed up the totals by accidentally intermixing virus test results with antibody test results, then contact tracing in various locales has ben re-worked so that probable, but unconfirmed, cases are bein' counted as positives.

Think about it: Joe tests positive. In an earlier iteration of contact tracin', if Joe had contact with 15 folks, those folks were considered possible infections, and they'd remain categorized as possibles till tested. Now, each and every one of those 15 is considered positive for beer virus till tested. Before, they were added to the confirmed infections count; now they have to be removed. And if they never get tested, they stay on the confirmed positives list (even if they aren't infected).

It's the difference between innocent till proven guilty & guilty till proven innocent.

And: in some locales, tracers are forbidden to ask if an infected person attended any protests.

Like I said to RC over in my perspectives thread we don't have any friggin' idea of the true (U.S.) total(s) (of previously or currently infected, of those hospitalized with beer virus vs those hospitalized cuz of beer virus, of folks who died with beer virus vs those who died cuz of beer virus).

It's a great big mess.
Good points! A big mess for sure, Hank. Where did you get all this from? Would you post a link, please?
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8415
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

RO

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:47 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:37 pm
I shit you not.

First, the CDC screwed up the totals by accidentally intermixing virus test results with antibody test results, then contact tracing in various locales has ben re-worked so that probable, but unconfirmed, cases are bein' counted as positives.

Think about it: Joe tests positive. In an earlier iteration of contact tracin', if Joe had contact with 15 folks, those folks were considered possible infections, and they'd remain categorized as possibles till tested. Now, each and every one of those 15 is considered positive for beer virus till tested. Before, they were added to the confirmed infections count; now they have to be removed. And if they never get tested, they stay on the confirmed positives list (even if they aren't infected).

It's the difference between innocent till proven guilty & guilty till proven innocent.

And: in some locales, tracers are forbidden to ask if an infected person attended any protests.

Like I said to RC over in my perspectives thread we don't have any friggin' idea of the true (U.S.) total(s) (of previously or currently infected, of those hospitalized with beer virus vs those hospitalized cuz of beer virus, of folks who died with beer virus vs those who died cuz of beer virus).

It's a great big mess.
Good points! A big mess for sure, Hank. Where did you get all this from? Would you post a link, please?
https://www.livescience.com/cdc-combine ... tests.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/nyc-con ... est-2020-6

These are just two links...there are others.

Please note: nuthin' I post in these beer virus sub-forums is hidden or hard to find...google & duckduckgo work for everyone, even Robot Overlords.
commonsense
Posts: 2404
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: RO

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:20 am
commonsense wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:47 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:37 pm
I shit you not.

First, the CDC screwed up the totals by accidentally intermixing virus test results with antibody test results, then contact tracing in various locales has ben re-worked so that probable, but unconfirmed, cases are bein' counted as positives.

Think about it: Joe tests positive. In an earlier iteration of contact tracin', if Joe had contact with 15 folks, those folks were considered possible infections, and they'd remain categorized as possibles till tested. Now, each and every one of those 15 is considered positive for beer virus till tested. Before, they were added to the confirmed infections count; now they have to be removed. And if they never get tested, they stay on the confirmed positives list (even if they aren't infected).

It's the difference between innocent till proven guilty & guilty till proven innocent.

And: in some locales, tracers are forbidden to ask if an infected person attended any protests.

Like I said to RC over in my perspectives thread we don't have any friggin' idea of the true (U.S.) total(s) (of previously or currently infected, of those hospitalized with beer virus vs those hospitalized cuz of beer virus, of folks who died with beer virus vs those who died cuz of beer virus).

It's a great big mess.
Good points! A big mess for sure, Hank. Where did you get all this from? Would you post a link, please?
https://www.livescience.com/cdc-combine ... tests.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/nyc-con ... est-2020-6

These are just two links...there are others.

Please note: nuthin' I post in these beer virus sub-forums is hidden or hard to find...google & duckduckgo work for everyone, even Robot Overlords.
Yeah, I get things from the internet, too. I followed a link to another link and read the reporting in The Atlantic.

I took epidemiology and statistics at the graduate level.
(Statistics was the toughest course I ever took, but I passed and learned some handy stuff along the way, like the usefulness of multiplying something by its square in order to “smooth the data”.)

Who counts as a new case is critical here. This was done haphazardly and inconsistently at best. Also with any kind of criteria, some people could be counted twice if they took both tests.
Last edited by commonsense on Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commonsense
Posts: 2404
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: 2020: not safe for anyone...beer virus humor, etc. (post your own)

Post by commonsense »

A lot of people probably don’t know that the study that criticized hydroxychloroquine was retracted.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06- ... demic.html
Post Reply