perspective, numbers, facts

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: perspective, numbers, facts

Post by commonsense »

I have not heard anyone approve of maskless protesters in close proximity. Not anyone on either side of the issue. Not anyone.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:41 pm I have not heard anyone approve of maskless protesters in close proximity. Not anyone on either side of the issue. Not anyone.
Me neither. But they approved of the protests. They approved as thousands of people in multiple locations spilled out into the streets. Did they, did you, believe those thousands were actually gonna all mask up and stand six feet apart? Mobs don't work that way: you know it, they know it.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:13 pm
commonsense wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:41 pm I have not heard anyone approve of maskless protesters in close proximity. Not anyone on either side of the issue. Not anyone.
Me neither. But they approved of the protests. They approved as thousands of people in multiple locations spilled out into the streets. Did they, did you, believe those thousands were actually gonna all mask up and stand six feet apart? Mobs don't work that way: you know it, they know it.
There is no they .
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:33 pm
There is no they .
They are elected officials and medical folks who gave the :thumbsup: to protesters & protests after givin' nuthin' but grief to folks who wanted to go to the park, run a business, have a meal away from home, or just sit on the beach alone.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:41 pm

There is no they .
They are elected officials and medical folks who gave the :thumbsup: to protesters & protests after givin' nuthin' but grief to folks who wanted to go to the park, run a business, have a meal away from home, or just sit on the beach alone.
I haven’t heard of any elected officials or medical professionals who have given their thumbs up to anyone who is not social distancing and/or not wearing a mask, regardless of whether it’s on the beaches or in the streets.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:54 am

There is no they .
I haven’t heard of any elected officials or medical professionals who have given their thumbs up to anyone who is not social distancing and/or not wearing a mask, regardless of whether it’s on the beaches or in the streets.
Pay attention: they didn't sanction the lack of masks & close proximity; they sanctioned the protests.

Again: They approved as thousands of people in multiple locations spilled out into the streets. Did they, did you, believe those thousands were actually gonna all mask up and stand six feet apart? Mobs don't work that way: you know it, they know it.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:00 am
commonsense wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:54 am

Pay attention: they didn't sanction the lack of masks & close proximity; they sanctioned the protests.

Again: They approved as thousands of people in multiple locations spilled out into the streets. Did they, did you, believe those thousands were actually gonna all mask up and stand six feet apart? Mobs don't work that way: you know it, they know it.
The protesters approved of the protesters, not the officials and the healthcare professionals. I wasn’t surprised that only a minority of protesters wore masks, just as I wasn’t surprised that only a minority of beach-goers wore masks. And it was no surprise that neither group followed social distancing. So how does it look to you that the ones protesting renegade homicidal peace officers got treated better than the ones protesting the yoke of unpopular public health measures?
henry quirk

Robot Overlord

Post by henry quirk »

The protesters approved of the protesters, not the officials and the healthcare professionals.

https://time.com/5848212/doctors-supporting-protests/

I can provide more links if you like.

I particularly like this...

“Risking coronavirus pales in comparison to all the other ways we can die,” says Dr. Dorothy Charles, a family medicine resident at the University of Illinois College of Medicine and an organizer at the racial-justice group White Coats for Black Lives. “Addressing the root causes [of racial inequality] is more imperative at this point than staying at home.”

...for its obvious & unintended hypocrisy.

So how does it look to you that the ones protesting renegade homicidal peace officers got treated better than the ones protesting the yoke of unpopular public health measures?

My thinkin' on this is pretty clear, and laid out up-thread.

protesting renegade homicidal peace officers

That's not what any of this nonsense is about. And, it's not about systemic/institutional racism or white privilege either.

Consult Hoffer's The True Believer.

protesting the yoke of unpopular public health measures

More like protesting the yoke of unnecessary public health measures instituted by employees who need tar & featherin'
Impenitent

Row boat overlords can keep time

Post by Impenitent »

-Imp
commonsense

Re: Robot Overlord

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:45 pm The protesters approved of the protesters, not the officials and the healthcare professionals.

https://time.com/5848212/doctors-supporting-protests/

I can provide more links if you like.

I particularly like this...

“Risking coronavirus pales in comparison to all the other ways we can die,” says Dr. Dorothy Charles, a family medicine resident at the University of Illinois College of Medicine and an organizer at the racial-justice group White Coats for Black Lives. “Addressing the root causes [of racial inequality] is more imperative at this point than staying at home.”

...for its obvious & unintended hypocrisy.

So how does it look to you that the ones protesting renegade homicidal peace officers got treated better than the ones protesting the yoke of unpopular public health measures?

My thinkin' on this is pretty clear, and laid out up-thread.

protesting renegade homicidal peace officers

That's not what any of this nonsense is about. And, it's not about systemic/institutional racism or white privilege either.

Consult Hoffer's The True Believer.

protesting the yoke of unpopular public health measures

More like protesting the yoke of unnecessary public health measures instituted by employees who need tar & featherin'
I stand corrected. :)
commonsense

Re: Row boat overlords can keep time

Post by commonsense »

Row boat overboards can keep swimming
henry quirk

Re: Row boat overlords can keep time

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:32 pm Row boat overboards can keep swimming...
...or drown.
henry quirk

perspective, numbers, facts: SWPRS July update

Post by henry quirk »

RCSaunders

Re: perspective, numbers, facts: SWPRS July update

Post by RCSaunders »

Those kinds of facts are anarchistic and atheistic. How can a government function if people are not going to be kept in a permanent paranoid frenzy to be saved by the government?

"Civilization, in fact, grows more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary." [H.L. Mencken, In Defense Of Women]

You must see the covid terror is a gift of God to make people see why they need the government to run their lives. Hallelujah! Amen!
henry quirk

Re: perspective, numbers, facts: SWPRS July update

Post by henry quirk »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:54 am
Those kinds of facts are anarchistic and atheistic. How can a government function if people are not going to be kept in a permanent paranoid frenzy to be saved by the government?

"Civilization, in fact, grows more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary." [H.L. Mencken, In Defense Of Women]

You must see the covid terror is a gift of God to make people see why they need the government to run their lives. Hallelujah! Amen!
As I say to Gloom elsewhere: :thumbsup: Just don't confuse symptoms for disease.